Will CDs ever enjoy a renaissance like the "Vinyl Revival"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DissatisfiedAudiophile, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

that is as true as it is sad....
    a spoon fed generation being fattened for the kill. where-by the initial idea that such variety will be available in streaming that the lemmings jump into the box, then the supply is edited and neutered (as much is already not available and many things are already being trimmed) then the recording industry will have the control it has always wanted and music will be officially dead

2. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Exactly like the perception of the importance of classic rock in the current musical landscape. It's a board of inflated perceptions.

SteveM likes this.
  3. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Who cares? The record companies, retail outlets, and booksellers. If the masses don’t buy them, they go away. Again, Best Buy won’t sell them to you if you go there because the masses spoke and they quit carrying them. Others will follow suit until don’t find them anymore. It’s only a matter of time. I don’t know how much of it but it won’t be long from a relative standpoint.

Those of us here represent an infanitessimal part of music consumers. Very few care what we think and we aren’t enough to keep CDs around.

Ed

Gaslight likes this.
  4. Nostaljack

No, it won’t. You’ll conform and continue to buy music like everyone else. LOL!

Ed

5. mark winstanley

you don't know me very well do you ....
    i will play what i have, and my guitar and reminisce about what once was ... never been a sheep, and never will be

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

True. I sense some almost gloating at the demise of CD, which is a shame. We're all music lovers, and that should be the final say on such things. If some music lovers like CD, then we should be for it as a collective. I don't buy Vinyl, bt I hope it continues for those that do.

100% for me. I've been able to steal all the music I listen to (well, most of it) for a decade or more. Instead, I bought it. Why? Physical media. I like physical media. If that went away, at best, I'd start stealing the music. Hardly a win-win, no matter how you paint it. I'm not going to pay to stream, and I'm not going to pay for digital files. I'm just not. I've never done so, and I'm not about to start. If the industry goes the way of no physical media - then I'm out of the game. (Keeping in mind there are thousands and thousands releases that are already out there I still don't have, so I think I'm covered until death, even if they do stop producing it.)

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

LOL You're no doubt like me. There are many many titles that you've not yet bought. If they stop producing physical media tomorrow, there'll still be a lifetime of things for you to catch up on. it's not like all the media currently out there will evaporate.

8. mark winstanley

yep ... i hope for a return to some kind of sense, but the world becomes more stupid every day it seems ......
    I have thousands and thousands of cds, records, dvds, and blurays and if they stop making them and there is something that i want, i will look at second hand ... i'm not perturbed about buying second hand, so long as the seller isn't living in la la land asking two hundred bucks for a cd lol

edit, but i also have lots of albums i can become more intimate with ... hang on, that may not sound quite right ... well it doesn't involve lube lol

Vaughan and Sear like this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The problem will be that it may be too late. My guess is that CD will continue to exist as a format even as it experiences this long slow decline in market share, but will face extinction when and if the factories making optical drives stop making optical drives. With vinyl it was easy enough to build a turntable with some simple bearings and off the shelf motors and such. But with CD, a time may come when getting the parts necessary to make a CD player is impossible. So, if there's going to be a CD revival, it better happen while there are still factories tooled up and producing optical drives. If there's enough market to keep one or two such factories open -- like we have enough of a market today for three or four or so audio tube manufacturers -- there may be a chance of a CD revival. But if the production of optical drives ceases entirely, I dunno that you're going to ramp up production for a couple of niche companies making CD players. Better chance of a revival will come from keeping the ember lit through the dark years.

But I'm hoping, higher res streaming will become much more common and inexpensive going forward too.

McLover and Bryan Harris like this.
  10. Nostaljack

I don’t know you. I also don’t believe you. If something comes out that you want, you’ll get it - tough talk to the contrary aside. The masses moved on from LPs and cassettes and you’ll move on from CDs. We all will. :)

Ed

parman likes this.
  11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Where is the "CD's have never gone away" option in the poll. I'm still buying hundreds of lovely shiny CD's, BD's DVD's a year. After spending £600 on an Oppo two and a half/three years ago I'm never going to stop.

12. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

You just beat me too it. A Renaissance? I never knew they were gone............:shrug:

13. Likewise and i have just bought myself a new Cyrus CDi player. Cds can sound fantastic. :righton:

14. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

People are already paying collectible prices for oop CD’s.

15. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Off topic, but I love your avatar. A life-changing album for me, Drastic Plastic. I try not to post on the various Bill Nelson threads here because I spent a decade (1998-2008) obsessively collecting Nelson's music and posting on Dreamland. But wanted to give some props for that avatar. Hipnosis did that cover, I think.

Vaughan likes this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

:wave:
    And still cheaper than what some were paying for RSD titles this year :laugh:
    [​IMG]

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  17. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

I am still buying and enjoying CDs. I am buying it almost as much as vinyl records (well maybe not as much as vinyl records, but almost!). Sometimes it is more enjoyable to listen to a CD.

18. mark winstanley

I wont stream or download. That's not tough talk, that's reality. If my right to actually own something is taken away, i won't play.
    I'm not as easily led as others obviously

Sear and Fishoutofwater like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

vinyl will always be in demand by those who have invested thousands of dollars into their stereo systems that are geared to play vinyl, not CD's. these people have lots of cash tied up in turntables and cartridges and cleaning machines and all sorts of other gadgets to make their vinyl investments worthwhile. they have avoided CD's since day one because of the amount of money they have thrown at vinyl playback. they will never give it up, they will never NOT use their turntables, haven't yet, why would they ever?

the youngsters, those who who buy used turntables at goodwill and other thrift venues, or they buy $29 all-in-one turntables (with the speaker built right in like the ones we had as kids) at FYE and kohl's and best buy and buy their vinyl also at goodwill, thrift venues and $1 bins could care less about it, they have it because it is cool to have, grandpa had it. they will bail as soon as, or should i say, IF CD prices go down.....which for all intents and purposes, have not, at least at the retail level. however, should CD prices hit rock bottom, watch the youngsters flock to them, and watch the return of cheap CD players for them to play their cheap CD's on.

when we were young we relished opening that new album, reading the liner notes, knowing who was in the band, or who played what on the album. we knew the names of everyone in the band, we know who the best session players were. they don;t care anymore about that stuff. music has become disposable for most of the youth of today, it's flavor of the month thing now, and has been since rap became so popular and there was a new rapper every couple of weeks to take the throne form the last one.

anyone listened to adele lately?

Sear likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm seeing this also at retail for some used CD's at Sonic Boom.

21. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I have never streamed or downloaded anything that I did not also get as a physical release (I.e download card). As to the first post I think it’s a pretty big call to say on this forum that you don’t believe someone about their own mind. Minds can be pretty hard to shift once set. Yours appears to be one of those as well.

22. With you 100%

23. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Most CD's, some remastered some not, sound just like songs available on various streaming services. People can pay just 10 dollars a month to enjoy as many songs as they want then purchasing CDs. Same sound quality. The reason vinyl came back, I believe, is that it can give a better, clearer and different sound to many songs which people recently realized so it has made a resurgence. I believe CDs were a phase and vinyl is here to stay if it could survive nearly 20-30 years of being neglected by the large music listening base.

24. mark winstanley

And now starts the irrellevant cds vs vinyl rubbish

Blackdagger, Vaughan and Sear like this.
  25. MacMan2007

MacMan2007 Forum Resident

I own thousands of CDs, records AND digital files. I also enjoy streaming Tidal. I get the attachment to physical things, but that isn’t what keeps me spending money on media. I want the art and liner notes. The day all of that is included in a convenient way with streaming/files will tips the scales for me. No idea why files don’t already include the identical art and notes as media?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.