Will MST3K ever return?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SonOfAlerik, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. They seem to regularly shift between not only free/not free but also what MST3K episodes are available - with either cost option - at any given time.

stereoptic likes this.
  2. danner

danner Forum Resident

MST3K episodes seem to drift in and out of availability on Amazon and Netflix. Netflix has a dozen or so available for streaming right now.

stereoptic likes this.
  3. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I think there's still some bad blood between Joel and Jim Mallon, who co-created the series, that's keeping a "real" MST3K reunion from happening. That said, as for the Netflix/Amazon issue, well... pretty much every episode is available on Youtube. "Keep circulating the tapes," and all.

4. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hopefully this gets resolved one day. I want a reunion.

5. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Joel actually stated back in April (in a Wired interview, I believe) that he is attempting to bring MST3K back to the screen, with a new cast. Personally, I'm happy with Rifftrax. They are far more prolific than a new show could ever be. Plus, they are the people I love.

6. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mike, Crow and Servo are my favorite.

7. danner

danner Forum Resident

Yeah, I heard a conversation with Joel on Ken Plume's podcast not too long ago, and I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Jim Mallon's name come up and not in a positive manner.

8. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

From reading between the lines over the years, what I can gather is that while Joel and the others were busy making the show, Mallon was busy making sure he held the rights to everything they made. He was a businessman among artists, and was looking out for himself more than anything else. He still holds the rights to the name and concept, so any future endeavors will require his approval.

9. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

This show, while one of my all time faves, grew weary the last couple of seasons due to the departure of Trace Beaulieu and the increased on screen role of the annoying Mary Jo Pehl. The riffing was still pretty good but the skits were beyond awful.

Scooterpiety likes this.
  10. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The Cinematic Titanic series is pretty funny. It is no match for the MST3K, however, but the whole MST3K 'experience' of blending the riffing in with the space station / robot / evil scientist plot will be very hard to surpass. Also, MST3K was one of the few shows that I looked forward to watching, and even though when it aired I had the ability to record it (VHS), it was best to watch it as it was broadcast for the old-time warm and fuzzy television experience. It was part of the charm 'knowing' that other 'Mistys' were viewing it at the same time. My MST3K fan club card and newsletters are around here somehwere......

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Apparently the reboot is on its way.

I think it is essential to include the robots. Even though Cinematic Titanic uses the same writers and actors, seeing them arrayed around the screen just doesn't work for me. It makes it less intimate, if that makes any sense.

The writer and performer has been teasing an MST3K revival for several months now, but as some eagle-eyed Reddit commenters noted, this time he pointedly described its potential return as "the reboot" rather than "a reboot," suggesting that its resurrection is well underway. Whenever the Satellite of Love does wind up lifting off again, Hodgson said that he's adamant about bringing back his robot buddies Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot: "Obviously people would really want to see the original robots back. So I intend to do that. But hopefully we'll bring some new ones too." And like any proud father, he refuses to pick a favorite between his two metal children. "I love BOTH robots equally!"

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/...other-space--in-his-reddit-ama-220739608.html

Shawn and Andrew like this.
  13. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Amen.

14. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Loved the show from the beginning and even have a full size Tom Servo in my man cave. I enjoy the Joel years the best and was never a big fan of Mike. They just need to leave it be as the new one will never be as good as the classic.

15. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Any more news on the MST3K reboot/revival?

16. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

17. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

18. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Many eps now being streamed for free thru Shout Factory TV...though with commercials

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/?gcli...51_QOp2g6N2HOz1SVW8iIWGb-OZ2E6cQBcaAgGe8P8HAQ

Great news about the Kickstarter campaign...I'm in!

stereoptic likes this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I pushed the button. I'm in.

20. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Approaching $400,000 and it just launched today.

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Sounds awesome, and I would assume Joel will be the host. I'm fine with Joel instead of (or in addition to) Mike. But did I just skim over and miss it, or are they being ambiguous about the nature of the show? That is, who will be hosting and voicing the puppets. I think it might be weird to not have the two original guys voicing the puppets. They both work with Mike on the "Rifftrax" stuff. I don't know if contractually they could do it, or if they get along with Joel enough to do it.

The main hard sell would be having different people doing those voices.

22. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

From what I gather, members of the old cast will only be back as writers or for the occasional cameo. It will be all new performers; from the host, to the Mads, to the voices of the robots.

23. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Hrmmm. Harder sell. Takes a very specific writer *and* performer to do this thing right. I've heard a few of the "Rifftrax" where they had a "guest", and the few examples I heard were dire.

Not sure why Joel wouldn't start the thing off by hosting himself before maybe handing it off to someone else or having dual hosts.

The "Rifftrax" website has started selling old MST3K episodes. I wonder if that has anything to do with Joel working out the rights, or if this is just the owner/distributor of the old episodes just using another distribution channel. They could get some synergy going if they want to all work together.

Considering Joel isn't mentioning who's doing what on this new show, and I don't see Rifftrax helping to promote this MST3K Kickstarter, I'm still curious how it will all shake down.

24. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Joel, now answering questions online...

"...I've already talked with the actors I'd like to bring onto the show as the next host and the next Mad, and you'll meet both of them in the next few days. In fact, the next host is in the video you've already seen… but I'll give him a proper introduction. I'll introduce you to the next Crow and Servo, too. We actually shot a few videos for the Kickstarter with all of them, since there was so much we wanted to talk about. Those will be out soon, and I can't wait, because I'm really happy about all of them. I think they'll do great."

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    guy incognito likes this.
  25. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I wonder if there will be an explanation for why Tom and Crow are back in space instead of hanging out with Mike in his swanky garden-level apartment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.