Will MST3K ever return?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SonOfAlerik, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Joel was kind of like a Dad to the bots. :) I kind of thought that was cute.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Well, I was concerned too when I saw that no one was returning for the on-screen cast, but after watching the update, I feel like it's in good hands. The bots sound close enough to the voices we've come to know and love (especially Crow) to not stick out like a sore thumb, but just different enough that they can take on their own distinct new personalities if the series gets enough time to really develop. I'm really hoping that if this is successful enough, one of the streaming services will gobble it up so it's less of a concern whether it gets great ratings. I don't rewatch stuff all that often, but MST3K is one of the rare things that stays fresh and fun after repeat viewing. Where better to repeat-view than Netflix? (I suppose YouTube too but I don't see them giving this away.)

3. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I know that many of the the KTMA episodes can be purchased in poor quality, but wouldn't it be nice if Shout Factory would issue them all in pristine quality in some sort of box set?

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes, yes it would. :) But I don't think it will happen because basically they don't think the episodes are very good. That's the big reason they haven't been officially released up to this point.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I am a massive MSTie, massive. My wife and I still watch approximately 4-5 episodes a month, I own all the absurdly overpriced box sets and I could pull MST3K Fan Club card out of the drawer of the desk I'm sitting at in less than 5 seconds.

All of that being said, I'm not as excited about this as I thought I would be. MST3K is Mike, Joel, Kevin, Trace, Frank...and to a lesser extent Jim, Mary Jo, Patrick and Bill. To have none of those people as part of the regular cast would have been very difficult had this "reboot" happened in 1999, that it's happening over 16 years after the show went off makes it a very tough pill to swallow. Those personalities listed above are so indelible. Had Joel chosen to go a different direction and done and MST3K-type show (i.e. something better than Cinematic Titanic) I wouldn't have had a problem. But now it's something that's basically never existed without a core group featuring none of the core group. Some are fond of pointing out that Mike replaced Joel in the middle of season 5 and the show remained great. That's true, but (a) plenty of MSTies were beside themselves at the time; (b) the lack of social media meant the whining was confined to a small group; (c) Mike was viewed as an insider. That Mike had been writing for the show and seen on camera a number of times and didn't try to emulate Joel made him a lot more endearing. And similar as to when Trace left and was replaced by Bill, the supporting cast was intact. Now it's a complete overhaul with none of the faces or voices I associate with a show I've loved for the better of 25 years. I'll still watch but I just wish Joel had gone another direction.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm a long-time MSTie too, but here's the thing..

The old show will always be there. I think the new show is going to be different, but not necessarily bad. Remember that the old show went through a rotation of all the main actors but was ultimately still funny.

I think there's a good chance that the new show will be just as funny and creative as the old show.

Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show..." (and so on). :)

8. motionoftheocean

As long as it keeps its edge, I don't think it can be "bad." That it's different while wearing the same costumes is what will take some getting used to. And in terms of the cast changes, as I already said Bill was the only main addition who really came out of nowhere (and yes, I realize Kevin technically did but come on lol).

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I thought Bill was terrific from the start, but especially once he figured out how to operate Crow so he didn't look like he'd had a stroke. :)

guy incognito likes this.
  10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

nice to see the Joel vs Mike debate still rolling after all these years.
    i think what hurts Joel is that the first two years (maybe three) the show just wasn't running on all cylinders and he takes the fall for that.
    ps not to be negative
    but this "reboot" doesn't leave me brimming with optimism (the last time i saw Joel was Cinema Titanic...oof) but hope im wrong!

11. motionoftheocean

I came in early on (Rocket Attack U.S.A. was the first "new" episode I saw) and loved Joel but I think I probably prefer Mike overall. But it's basically like picking between your two favorite kids.

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i sometimes think i like Mike better till i watch Manos or another classic Joel episode then i waffle

13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They reached the $3.3 million goal so we'll get at least six episodes.

Scooterpiety and SonOfAlerik like this.
  16. guy incognito

Up to $4.4 million and nine episodes now. 52 hours left to go!

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They made the $5.8 million dollar goal so next year we're getting 14 new episodes including a Holiday special (!).

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The show has a very loyal fanbase, that is for sure. :)

21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Shawn likes this.
  22. guy incognito

It is a shame that a new rift appears to have developed between Joel and some of his former castmates. I can understand people opting out of the reboot due to their own projects, a desire to let go of the past, etc. But Twitter comments from guys like Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff (who were collaborating with Joel on Cinematic Titanic as recently as a couple years ago) seem to obliquely indicate that there's actually some level of bad blood at work.

deadcoldfish likes this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Joel's stance (publicly, anyway) has been that any writers and on-camera talent from past years are welcome back to do the new show if they're interested. I don't know if that means he did or didn't ask Trace or Frank directly or what, but... Trace and Frank are going out and doing a show as "The Mads" and I think that's kind of interesting.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

25. guy incognito

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    shucky ducky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.