Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The great thing with the co-operation between George Martin and Paul McCartney was Georges uncanny understanding of what Paul wanted out of an arrangement. In that regard George and Paul really complemented each other. The orchestration and score George made for Live and Let die is genius in that regard and of course is nowhere to be found on the band-take of the song. The reason one can hear it there is because we have heard the released version thousands of times. That s fairly obvious for anyone
    One woul think
    Well-almost everyone
    :winkgrin:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. The line about political nonsense is clearly directed at Lennon.

3. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I've always assumed that Some People Never Know was a veiled response to How Do You Sleep: "Some people can sleep a nighttime believing that love is a lie..."

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I agree 100%. I love that 1980-ish "A Love For You." That Cold Cuts set of mixes is the definitive, in my opinion. Wings was just finished, so it would have been great to get an album of leftovers from a really good band.

5. Doesn’t bother me. His artistic choice.

6. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

“Aminals in the zoo” translates as childlike heartbreak to me.

Besides such a “happy accident” was never corrected so I’m guessing there were lots of thumbs up in the control room at the time.

Who Cares, theMess, jmxw and 4 others like this.
  7. Hey if you'd known me, you would have known someone devoted to Paul even "Mary Had A Little Lamb" (which I tape recorded off "The Flip Wilson Show" when it was played). I knew his weaknesses but still loved it.

8. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

Anyone think that London Town and Back to the Egg will follow this in similar editions? It would have been impossible for me to imagine that given that those are two of Paul's least popular albums...if not THE least critically popular ones .... at least I thought so, until these two got announced. Isn't Wild Life the most panned album of his career?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have been enjoying my old vinyl copies of Red Rose Speedway & Wildlife tonight in anticipation of these new deluxe sets.
    I love these albums but I may just stick to the vinyl sets this time. I just can't justify the costs of all the bonus material.
    Now if that deluxe set comes down to to a reasonable price I would jump on it.

10. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Hmmm, I interpreted Paul’s message to mean that animals were becoming extinct due to “a lot of political nonsense in the air” which if true, had nothing to do with John in my opinion.

mrjinks, theMess, foxylady and 4 others like this.
  11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I remember seeing that when Flip Wilson started playing on TV Land

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

No, you didn't. At the time, I kind of gave up on Paul. Then Band on the Run came out...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Yes, they will be offered as a bundle as well. For $600 you get both plus a Wings live CD from 1979.

Oyster Boy and ZippyPippy like this.
  14. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Same here, I didn't buy Red Rose Speedway and thought well it's end of the line and like you said then Band On The Run came out.

Mr. Explorer and Sidewinder43 like this.
  15. Between that and Ram.

16. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

critical consensus has flipped on Ram (like McCartney II). Is that starting to happen to London Town or Wild Life? Not that I've seen.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I bought the single in '73,no taping from this fanboy. :)

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  18. I loved it when Flip said "kill 'em Paul!"

theMess likes this.
  19. alexpop

That's when I stopped buying his albums for a few decades. Yes Band was great, but as 1974 came I prefered other artist's. Fanboy had moved on.

Ringo Hendrix and Bemagnus like this.
  20. I would have bought it as well but I was 12 and I had used up my allowance for some other releases at the time.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. alexpop

Not allowed " other releases ". :)

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  22. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Some of Paul’s early solo catalog was panned at the time, not so much anymore.

I emphasize “past tense” because a lot of years have passed since then with newfound appreciation especially for the expanded reissues.

theMess, Mr. Explorer and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

Must admit I bought 2 singles as presents With A Little Luck& Wonderful Christmas Time..albums wise after BOTR..next one was Flaming Pie.,then everything up to present, think anthology kick started in.

omikron and Mr. Explorer like this.
  24. alexpop

Ram ..
    Rolling Stone I'm looking at you.

25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes! That's exactly how I've heard it since... forever.

But it's also an apology: "I'm only a person, like you love, and who in the world can be right all the right times, I know I was wrong, make me right..."

Bruce M., theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.