Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Yeah. IMO he possibly didn't include it in Ram because the overall tone of that album is angry in parts and blissful in others, and Dear Friend fits neither mood. Ram is angry about the Beatles and blissful about his family. Dear Friend is sad, longing, forgiving (and somewhat angry in part, like the "are you a fool" line). Guess he decided to RELEASE it as response to How Do You Sleep, despite having written it after some other of John's comments/actions.

I've read it too, but I'm quite sure only as a poster's opinion. Not based on anything that Paul's ever said. Anyone who thinks that is imo ignoring the fact that Paul feels strongly about animals. If he was mocking John's political songs he would have written about something absurd to him, not about something close to his heart.

lightbulb, Tord, theMess and 3 others like this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I believe, when it comes to panned albums of PM's career, Wild Life is the top.

No... wait...
    Man is the top, an animal too
    And, man, you just got to care

:magoo:

ausgraeme, supermd, omikron and 4 others like this.
  3. Paulwalrus

I've always heard it as directed towards Linda, not John. Though John could be and probably was one of those "some people" who didn't understand.

theMess, jmxw and Mr. Explorer like this.
  4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Hmm.. I never thought it was directed towards Linda.

Between the "some people can't sleep at night time" and later learning that Paul said he met Yoko first but denied her advances, also made the line "only fools take second best" seem like a bit of a dig at John & Yoko's "Scott & Zelda"-isms...

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Fell for the cute one first, and he was single as well.

6. Paulwalrus

That he met her first is beyond doubt imo. He related the story in John's induction into the HOF, and him and Yoko hugged afterwards. She's never contested Paul's version either.

But, Paul's story doesn't include any advances from Yoko. One can speculate.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Hmm.. I went looking to confirm that Paul story did include advances from Yoko, and found this [ https://www.quora.com/How-when-did-Yoko-Ono-and-Paul-McCartney-first-meet ]:
    "... Paul was already a part of the Avant-Garde scene in London and she was given Paul’s address to try to obtain manuscripts for John Cage as a birthday present and Paul did refuse because he was never willing to give away any of the handwritten lyrics to his songs. He realized that these may be valuable someday. Paul did send her to John and that my friends is how John and Yoko met and not at the gallery as everyone (including John and Yoko) suggest. The gallery meeting makes it sound more innocent than it really was as they had been having an affair long before Yoko’s show at the gallery, which John quietly help sponsor by the way.

Jeff Lewis is also right that originally Yoko had her sights set on Paul but Paul had no interest in Yoko what so ever. So much for the Yoko claim that she wasn’t aware who the Beatles were when she met John. She knew fully well who they were and she set her sights on having a relationship with Paul first and when that didn’t work out she got involved with John.
    "

But I wanted to confirm Paul's words to make sure I had not conflated "looking for lyrics" with "looking for love".

I can't say that I've found the actual interview yet, but according to this site [ Paul and Yoko ], a Howard Stern interview confirms there were advances from Yoko.

"On the Howard Stern radio show yesterday, Sir Paul McCartney revealed that Yoko Ono, "first showed up at his door looking for love" before moving on to John Lennon. Leave it to Howard Stern to bring out the nasty comments."

BUT... according to what I heard here [ ], Paul said nothing about any romantic advances. But he also kind of admits that he couldn't say if it did happen [as Howard presses him on the point]. So, yes, at this point any advances are pure speculation....

Sorry for any inconvenience. :tiphat:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I love Yoko but I think a lot of her public personality pre-meeting John, or maybe even honestly into the early stages of their relationship, is all very put on and very pretentious. It's of course also funny and entertaining, but as self aware as it all seems, there is a certain immaturity to it, or a certain youthfulness to not be so critical. And for whatever reason, she keeps up the facade. Like she was too cool for The Beatles. But even so, she does it all in a humorous and self-effacing way. It is part of what made the John & Yoko dynamic so entertaining. She's married John, arguably one of the most desired men in rock, and yet she seemed pretty unimpressed. Of course, she married John the man, not John the celebrity. But in the early stages, I think she was a lot more into John the Beatle than she lets on. And who can blame her?
    London Town just seems forgotten. Even in the niche of the McCartney scholars.

Jack, Rob Hughes and Mr. Explorer like this.
  9. You gotta have faith

Wrong musician but right sentiment.

theMess and Mr. Explorer like this.
  10. alexpop

True, John just happened to be rich.

11. alexpop

This thread and the 50th WA Anniversary thread are cross fertilizing at the moment. :)

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You say this on a forum where some people buy music releases and purposely never open them! :crazy:

Paulwalrus, theMess, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

My take on Wild Life
    Overall
    A transitional album. Paul wanted to start over from scratch(impossible of course). Recorded in a few days it was the antithesis of what major rock-artists were supposed to do at the time. Having loved Ram and McCartney the album slightly underwhelmed me at the time .At the same time I was very drawn to it. Actually played it to death and to this day it s one of the few albums I really know by heart
    Time certanely has been kind to Wild Life-the rough, spontaneous approach today is more normal-given all the indie-rock that has been made or punk/grunge for that matter. It also as a matter of fact includes a few truly gorgeous, top-tier McCartney songs.
    Wild Life is a rather unique album-perhaps not a true classic rock-album but in it s own way a very wonderful creation that captures a great artist in a real period of transition. Guess Paul had to make an album like Wild Life to be able to move on. Just like John had to make Plasticitet Ono band. Both albums very brave statements from their creators
    By releasing Wild Life Paul certanely was asking for trouble-in hindsight he certanely did what he had to do and given how his and Wings career turned out no one can say he was wrong
    Mumbo-Such a great groove and true garage-rock feel. Stunning even though the words are nothing but gibberish
    Bip Bop-In lack if songs I guess Paul came to think of this little ditto he made up for his kids. In lack of real advisers he recorded it and the rest is history. Still I find it a very entertaining but truly odd-ball listening
    Love is strange-A brilliant cover with some serious grooves. An early attempt of reggae with gorgeous drums, nice guitar and perhaps the first time the lovely harmony-vocals of Wings are introduced
    Wild Life-Last Track on Side one and the first actuall song on the album. And what a magic thing it is. The lyrics were ridiculed but it s just another example of Paul being way before his time lamenting on environmental matters. Paul’s vocals are mesmericing and the harmonies from Denny Laine breathtaking. What does it matter that the guitar sounds slightly off tune. This is serious stuff were Paul obviosly exircises his demons. Having seen Wings perform it live I can tell it was an equall jaw-dropping experience
    Some people never know - A wonderful song with a melody worthy of the Beatles. Nice arrangement and again some stunning harmony-vocals. Another forgotten masterpiece of a song
    I am your singer- Sounds like old-times pop with another interesting arrangement and nice melody. However Linda s not a lead-singer. When I witnessed this live people actually laughed at her. She had to put up with lot s of s-t just because Paul wanted her in the band
    Tomorrow- This one is another classic Paul rock-ballad with full-throated vocals from Paul, great hooks and melody and wondruous harmony-vocal
    Dear Friend-In the end comes the albums real masterpiece -imo one of the best things Paul ever recorded. Brilliant melody sing with both musical conviction and emotional honesty. Great piano and a stunning orchestral arrangement. Wow -what an ending and given the lavish production very much onwards lookin to what Wings would accomplish in the not so distant future

So there we go-Wild Life certanely is way better and more important than it s reputation or even the way Paul himself has wiewed it. It also features a handful of first rate Macca songs and the rest is at the least highly entertaining listening
    Also a unique insight in how a major artist reinvent himself by not playing by the book

14. McCartney_Legacy

McCartney_Legacy Forum Resident

‘Dear Friend’ was recorded on 24 July 1971 for the first time. The song wasn’t recorded during the Ram sessions, that is just a myth prepetuated by the fog of time.

15. McCartney_Legacy

McCartney_Legacy Forum Resident

‘Some People Never Know’ was recorded on 25 July 1971. At least a month before Paul heard the Imagine album - amazing coincidence though that he answered John by accident!
    SPNK is perhaps one of Paul’s most underrated solo songs - epically brilliant.

16. alexpop

Better resale value. :D

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. alexpop

The photo label /side 1/2 was novel. To me at the time it was just another great McCartney he was on top form till imo Band On The Run. But I was impressed with RAM and that set a precedent for subsequent albums.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

My take on Red Rose Speedway
    This album might be the strangest of all in Psuls legacy and that says a lot. Having seen Wings live 1972 I was expecting a great rock-album containing 1882, Soily, the Mess, Best friend and other great tracks Wings debuted live. None of it were there but at least we got the great Hi,Hi,Hi as a single
    What we got was a very patchy and unfocused album with more emphasis on pop than rock. And Blimey I loved it and still does to this day. In all it s pot-hazed glory it s a wonderful listen.

With that said it will be a revelation to finally get the original planned double-album and all the other great stuff recorded at the time in it s full glory. Live and let die the crown jewel of the lot. RRS is an album that really emphasice the hardship of being a Macca-fan and also how benefitting it can be if one listen with an open mind.

Big Barn bed-An almost epic rock opener that features both great bass, guitars and harmony vocals . Also some-even by Pauls standards-weird lyrics. A good one
    My Love-A very dividing song. I belong to the believers who actually think this is a first class Macca ballad. Given it s classic status and amount of cover versions Im not the only one. Of course also one of rocks truly iconic guitar-solos. Henrys main claim to fame
    Get on the right thing-At the time I had no idea this one heralded from the Ram-era. It s a wonderful catchy almost Motown rocker with great vocals and a very beatlesque arrangementt complete with backwards guitars
    Only one more kiss-This is a lovely, melancholic countryfied song. There is a sadness hidden in the schmaltz so to say. Some more nice guitar licks from Henry
    Little lamb Dragonfly -Another Song I was unaware of having Ram-origins. And what a song- definitely one of my all time favorites from Paul. Great, great melody, some of the most heartfelt vocals ever from Paul and stunning three-part harmonies from Paul, Denny and Linda. No matter if the lyrics are corny-this is as good as it gets. One of those songs that transform me to another place while listening to it
    Single Pidgeon- Short, melodic, melancholic and sweet. Reminds a bit if Gilbert o Sullivan who was extremely popular at the time. Or is it the opposite. Never mind -a fine tune it is and another ornhitogical venture for Paul
    When the night- Another good one. This time a RnB ballad with nice melody, inventive arrangement and ecspecially in the coda some amazing full-throated screams from Paul
    Loop-1st Indian on the moon
    A much maligned experimental track apparently inspired by Pink Floyd. I kind of like it in all it s drug -Hazed weirdnessBut obviosly there were better stuff left outside the album. Some great bass-lines and jazzy guitar helps Sabina this one. The tribal charts? Well it is what it is
    Hold me tight, Lazy Dynamite/Hands of love/ Power cut
    This 11 minute plus meddley was another WTF moment on an album filled with them. Musically it s silly pop-songs in spades harkening back to the early Beatles. Certanely not what was expected of a major artist in the early seventies. Also obviosly to lightweight to anchor the album. With that said I rather love it being a sucker for dumb pop -music that I am
    Lot s of interesting musical touches, flourishing with memorable melodies and a very musical way of linking it all together it s very entertaining. So what it lacks in substance it gains in delivery. But I guess stuff like this did not do much to boost Paul’s credibility. In it s own terms it s rather great to and a fittingly weird way to finish a weird but highly entertaining album
    Red Rose Soeedway is an album that lacks direction and exist all around the place. It also left out some very memorable stuff. Still I love it and every time I listen it makes me smile
    So lookin forward to keep smiling with the deluxe-edition

19. alexpop

Ditto re; Deluxe!!!

Side 2..early Beatles, very Beatle esqe.

Mr. Explorer, theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  20. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Me too, though of course we haven’t heard it yet. I have a feeling it won’t be anything like Wings Over America, except in name (I know, shocking revelation!).

21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I hope it isn't!

22. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Paul certainly doesn’t owe me anything and I have other priorities in life that are WAY more important, but that doesn’t stop me feeling a degree of sadness that, once more, I am going to have to largely exclude myself from this release. Yes, my problem. My own circumstances are not Paul’s fault.

gja586 and Sean Murdock like this.
  23. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Funnily enough, me too!! I hope it’s very different and I’m sure it will be. (As an aside, I admire WOA but I don’t worship it the way many others do. I guess as I didn’t discover it until decades later).

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Quoting myself again... I’m sure that’s not healthy!

The thought just occurred to me that no-one’s heard Wings Over Europe yet. What if the sound quality isn’t any better than the boots? Unlikely maybe, but not impossible. Easy to assume everything will be presented in remixed/remastered/cleaned up pristine quality but it isn’t always. I’m thinking certain video and the Penny Lane acetate off Pepper.

25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well circumstances and buying power differ. I believe all those premium priced deluxe edition target middle-aged or older folks with money to spare. Unfortunately that excludes some hard-Core fans. On the brighter side there never has been more music available for almost nothing as well.
    Personally I think the McCartney deluxe-editions are over-priced but given what s inside them and the relatively small editions it s not completely without reason.
    I have the means to buy but actually thought twice before ordering the deluxe über set. Ecspecially since I believe the live stuff will be available in other forms. Given my emotional connection with the early Wings, even attending one of the 72 gigs the temptation became to strong. At the same time I have to decide not to go for the White album or Blood on the tracks releases. I just can t justify buying all that even if I could.
    :)