Winyl Record Cleaner.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Wilding, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren Wilding

Warren Wilding Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have recently discovered a seemingly new record cleaner called "Winyl" on eBay and I would like to know if anyone has used it and what are people's thoughts.
    There is a website also here: Winyl Record Cleaner - Discover its cleaner system », which gives more information and a demonstration video.

This seems to be based around a refinement of the "Wood Glue" method which I have always been highly skeptical of, this product is a gel.
    One thing which puts me off trying "Winyl" (aside from the seemingly high cost per record to clean, approx £1.20 per LP) is the incredibly long time it takes to clean a single LP (over 5-6 hours per side!). If on the other hand this method is going to be much better than any other, it might be worth considering, especially for records needing a very deep clean.
    I would most likely give the record a quick wet clean with a basic distilled water/IPA solution first to remove the easy dirt, then use the Winyl to get to the deep stuff.

I would be interested to know if the cost, time and effectivity is worth it compared to wet cleaning in L'Art Du Son or maybe a combination of methods for the ultimate clean.

They claim they are offering a "free" 70ml trial with free shipping whilst at the same time stating it costs "a small amount of money" but the link, which directs to a Spanish eBay site, does not work. If I could get the sample, I would be happy to give it a go.

2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You should check out the sellers brick and mortar store:

[​IMG]

3. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Cool. Now I can finally clean up my winyls!

Aftermath and clhboa like this.
  4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Elmer Fudd purchases his from Acme Corp

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

An oaked Chardonnay works the best. don't use red because it will leave stains.

6. I am on my 3rd gallon of Franklin Tite Bond II, and have successfully cleaned literally hundreds of records (new and used) with absolutely no damage to date. I mention this because I am true believer in the principal and technique this method utilizes and would be willing to test another product "gel" just to see if it works even better than the Tite Bond II. I personally doubt it could work much better, but I don't like to make assumptions on a product that I have not given a fair shot to work. I didn't try the wood glue for years as I thought it just sounded "wrong" to do this to a record----Now I use it on almost every used record that I buy. (Even the ones with just a little surface noise--because it usually removes that also) I continue to use my ultrasonic cleaning machine in tandem with this method. Different cleaning methods used together have provided some of the best results for me so far. I like to wood glue first, then polish with a follow up on my ultrasonic machine if needed. The glue seems to work best to get the bulk of stubborn gunk off the record initially. Then the ultrasonic machine can be used if any small bits of stuck on crud remain. For new records with minimal surface noise, I sometimes use only the ultrasonic method and it brings them into top shape.

MrRom92 and Pappas3278 like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

8. markedasred

markedasred Forum Resident

Totally with you on this, drink enough and you start thinking, to hell with the crackles.

9. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

"More Fast up to 30%"
    Sold!!

10. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Where awe you mr. Wabbit?

11. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Damm no more free tester

12. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Had a go with this and got some great results. Just on a few older LPs I wasn't convinced the Spin Clean had done a proper job on.

Slight PITA to handle and personally wouldn't aim to use it on any great scale, but yeah, effective.

Few tips for any future users:
    - Don't skimp. They recommend 15ml per (12") side, and any less than that you'd struggle for cohesive coverage
    - Make sure the records are FLAT. It says the glue will self-level, and unless totally flat it won't be an even coverage (hard to remove the thin bits).
    - Take your time removing once dried. Obvious, but still - really need to make sure any bits don't get left behind.
    - For any left-behind bits, I found it best to just reapply a small section (say finger-sized) over that and let it dry then remove the lot. Much safer than trying to pick out any small fragments.
    - Beware leaving any thin trails anywhere - again hard to remove.

Benzion likes this.
  13. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

So does Wile E Coyote.

14. Benzion

I'd try it, actually, I have some records that even vacuum/wet cleaning can't help.

15. Benzion

Just bought one on eBay. $41.41 shipped from Germany. Will report back after use.

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I thought they bought the rights to the old formula so noone else could use it. The article on it which had enough details to diy your own is out there and some people had versions that worked as well as Record Revirginizer.

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

A DIY version would probably be a lot cheaper as well. I still haven't tried it. I was going to do it this weekend but ran out of time. I think I might be able to get an attempt in later today.

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I had intended to try it as well, but after realizing wood glue was no better than a 16.5 and good cleaning fluids my enthusiasm waned.

eddiel likes this.
  19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

l'art du son - FTW!

20. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

It's polyvinylacetate in an isopropyl/water solution. Long time ago Nagaoka sold it for cheap.
    If your needle is in pristine shape washing with a cottonwool ball and dishwasher soap is excellent, a not worn needle doesn't touch the groovebottom and rides above any dirt.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I gave it ago this weekend. I haven't play tested the record yet as some residual compound remained so I had to put a little more on to remove it. Basically, the solution sitting under the tab you're meant to use to help remove the film when dried doesn't dry (even overnight) that well. I'm going to give a play test today or tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.