Wire: multidisks reissues of the albums Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and 154

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Echo, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Six minute version of "I Am The Fly"

2. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

But that could mean "reducing the reverb a bit" or "gating the snare" or something else, rather than just turning it all up.

3. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Thing is, Demos are demos, they are effectively "proof of concept" or a version of a manuscript in audio.

So, if the bass player needs to hear the line, it's there as clear as can be.

Whereas the finished product will have all the sounds interacting more.

Why am I typing this? I dunno.

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

If Denis is the same guy who remastered Colin's solo albums, we have a pretty good idea of what to expect here: more harsh ear bleeders.

Who do they think that they're selling these packages to--teenagers who want their music to sound "contemporary" or older fans who care about dynamic sound quality?

Jim B. likes this.
  5. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

It's not really a band decision though, these days, it's Colin Newman's decision, it's his band and his label.

6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Presumably the younger people or newer fans will want the vinyl anyway?

7. BlueSpeedway

And maybe his mistake, if the sets end up in the bargain buckets.

8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

In financial terms, that doesn't matter. They can always punt another definitive remastered version later.

9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I really do not know but perhaps vinyl especially Pink Flag with that great cover would be more attractive as a purchase.

10. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Any more comments on the sound? I'm actually not interested in these CDs (just the vinyl for Chairs Missing), but I am nevertheless curious. I've said in other threads that if these Wire CDs are remastered in the way that Colin Newman had his solo albums remastered, these are going to be ear bleeders.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

In not allowed to comment on sound but I will say don't order all three, cancel if you have. Just get one and see if you like it and then get or not get the others. Makes no sense to risk getting all three at the same time.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  12. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I always thought that Audio Fidelity label SACDs of these first three Wire albums and the treatment the mastering of such titles would have received via said label would have made for potentially successful, "outside the box" releases for them but, well... you know.

13. giantleech

It would have been so nice to hear instant feedback about the sound/mastering of these new Wire releases as being absolutely wonderful, dynamic, etc., but, really, with the previous track record of how these types of releases are being handled outside of the realm, hands and ears of the boutique audiophile labels, we knew that was never going to happen (unfortunately.) Same type of supposed brickwall malarkey is apparently occurring with the recent Residents reissues, according to reports on the related thread discussing those releases.

14. giantleech

Really frustrated at having to hold off (perhaps permanently) on taking the dive with these releases. If feedback on the mastering of these was thumbs up then they would all be no-brainer insta-grabs.

15. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

I feel the same way. I love Wire, but hate bad masterings, and am getting more and more adamant about not spending money on bad-sounding re-releases.

The question is whether we will "stay strong" once the final verdict is in (including those DR values).

Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Has anyone else preordered the CD sets from Amazon in the US? If so has your order shipped? It says coming out Friday the 25th but there is no delivery window yet. Just curious if Amazon has started ship any of these sets.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  17. BlueSpeedway

This kind of often fierce, but textured post-punk / punk music suffers really bad from poor mastering. Early Banshees, or Joy Division and Wire, there’s quite some depth and subtlety going on within the sound. It’s part of why these bands’ albums are still talked about, when so many others from the era are relics or disappeared. Horrible remasters of for example the Banshees The Scream and Join Hands (1978/79) trashed that aspect IMO, when actually those two albums feature production as awesome and unique as Martin Hannett’s much loved sound on Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures. You wouldn’t know that with close listening to a futzed up version of the Banshees though :(

bleachershane likes this.
  18. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

As I posted on page two: I did. Still have not received a shipping date and the open orders page says my delivery date still pending. Though the page for all three releases says they’re out Friday May 25. Let me know if you hear something. Eager to get these!

ccbarr likes this.
  19. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

My bad, I should've looked closer. And I do apologize for making a shipping post, that seems to irk people, but I didn't know where else to ask about it. If my sets ship or I get a notification I'll be sure to post it, thanks for the help. really appreciate it. It would be nice to get the sets before the long weekend!

20. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat....no "shipped" confirmation here in new york....BUMMER!!!!

SteveFff and ccbarr like this.
  21. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Yeah it would be nice if Amazon would give us an idea of when they will be shipped, but I suppose that is easier said than done. I posted this in another thread I think, but I've never heard these 3 albums. I have read and heard great things about Wire and these albums so when the sets were announced I took the plunge, preordered them each for $27.76 before the price went up.

I could've just streamed the albums, but I like the thrill of buying the artists albums and discovering them that way. So I'm going in blind, but it is exciting, waiting for this new music. Was really hoping to have them for the long weekend, but who knows. Hope your sets come quickly as well!

22. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

You are in for a treat....IMHO all 3 are amazing albums!!!!I have a slip-cased "trio" from several year's ago....E.M.I. LABEL with bonus tracks on each of the 3 albums!I saw these expanded editions and I can't wait to heAR the bonus tracks....and read about each album!you will love each one!!!

23. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

It’s cool. I was responding to a “shipping post” myself. I know what you mean. My eagerness to get this got the best of me. So excited for this release and to see a release date up but no news on when it’s going out had me as edgy and tense and short as... well as edgy and tense and short as a Wire song from the first album.

ccbarr and Sebastian saglimbenI like this.
  24. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Oh, no problem, I didn't see anything wrong with your reply. I know what you mean, I've been looking forward to these releases all month. Would be nice to get an ETA on when they are arriving. I guess the waiting is the hardest part sometimes. :)

25. Nikki Actionpacked

Nikki Actionpacked Forum Resident

I received 154 and Chairs Missing yesterday. I'm really glad I got them. The demos on 154 are really good. I like hearing more rock-oriented versions of the 154 songs, especially because I'm a fan of Robert Gotobed's robotic drumming and there's more of that here. The second disc of b-sides and experimental pieces is also great. I haven't listened to the original albums yet but plan on doing that tonight after ingesting some legal substances (I live in Seattle).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.