Wire - Vinyl reissues 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

This is encouraging. The earlier reports about the CD versions were off -putting

Joti Cover likes this.
  2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Thank you - based on your post I just ordered them (the LPs) from Amazon.co.uk (even though I have the newest CD box sets and original CDs), which I would receive most likely before they are released stateside, and for more than $15.00 savings shipped.

erowid likes this.
  3. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I pre-ordered the Chairs Missing LP, so I'll be sure to chime in with a report on quality when it arrives later this month.

(Of their first three albums, Chairs is the only one I don't have a good original copy of on vinyl. It's frustrating: my copy has an audible scratchy sound in the right channel throughout the entire LP, across both sides (I don't now if it's a pressing defect or if a previous owner played it with a knackered needle), but is an otherwise perfectly quiet and nice sounding pressing.)

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. MikeT

My LPs shipped already, and Amazon.co.uk used a shipping service I never heard of before - Aramex. They also shipped it Priority Parcel Express - not sure what that means.

Anyone have experience with Aramex as a courier?

Electric Sydney likes this.
  5. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I think I’ve had success, they don’t seem to have a tracking number which is annoying.

6. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

I hope you'll like them as much as I do! These are - along with the all analogue mastered MBV records - my favourite reissues this year so far. They might not be AAA like the My Bloody Valentine releases, but they still sound really fine.

7. MikeT

Actually I got a tracking number - so I can track. Hopefully they update and scan correctly. First time for everything. I know when Amazon.co.uk uses Royal Mail (no tracking) or UPS (tracking), I get the product fairly quickly. When they use Ascendia, things can take awhile without tracking. I just don't know how Aramex delivers when the package gets to the US? Do they hand off to the USPS? or deliver themselves somehow?

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Please do keep us updated on the sound quality of these.

Joti Cover, BrettyD and scotth like this.
  9. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

Got them all three. Just started listening to Chairs Missing. They sound quite upfront, a bit flat, but not compressed. So far no warps, surface noise or distortions.

John Bliss, Joti Cover and mpayan like this.
  10. art

art Senior Member

Both vinyl and CD are compressed. Everything else sounds damn good. Why the compression? I don't think it was needed.

Joti Cover likes this.
  11. MikeT

So this is weird - the tracking number with Aramex shows no movement of the Wire LPs from Amazon.co.uk to the US - but Amazon shows that the package was scanned in Los Angeles, CA!?!???

Why would a package leaving the UK and coming to New Jersey in the US, end up first dropping in Los Angeles in the United States? Very strange.

Hopefully they (Aramex) know what they are doing! :wtf:

12. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

It always seems to work out despite their cockamamie routings.

13. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Oh they know exactly what they're doing. They're holding onto it until the official July 20th drop date.

14. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Seems like by the time it gets to you, you might as well have just ordered through US Amazon.

15. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

I finally caved and sprang for the nine sevens box on Discogs. Cranked Mannequin when the GF went shopping. It definitely benefits from high SPLs. I imagined two scenarios in my head while listening:
    1. Remastered from high-res digital files
    2. Remastered from analog master tapes with all analog signal chain

Was able to suspend disbelief for both scenarios. It felt slightly less analytical than the 2006 CD remasters to my ears and head.

Hoping that bodes well for the reissues.

John Bliss likes this.
  16. MikeT

Or Music Direct who have them in stock as of last Friday. If I would have known MD would be getting them "early" I would have ordered from them - even in total it would have cost about $10.00 more delivered. Oh well - took a chance with Amazon.co.uk, and if they had shipped an alternate method (since when I order I never know what shipping carrier they will decide to use), I might have had them already.

What is really funny, the parcel is marked by Aramex as PRIORITY PARCEL EXPRESS - which obviously means NOTHING!! It isn't being handled as priority nor is it moving in an express fashion. :)

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Wondering if I can get some advice from anyone here...Was interested in ordering Pink Flag and Chairs Missing on vinyl today from my local shop. It has been well over 30 years since I have listened to these. Of course liked them when they came out, but it has been a long time. Should I be safe and start with one of these and go from there, or should I just take the full plunge and get them both (is one better than the other or just a matter of opinion)? Not interested in the 3rd release...

Thanks in advance for any advice...

18. MikeT

Maybe you should find and listen to samples on the internet to determine if you should go ahead and order both, since it is hard for someone to tell you what you should buy when you aren't sure, and then you could be disappointed.

mpayan likes this.
  19. MikeT

I don't usually write shipping notifications on this site, as many others tend to do, but I find it funny that my package that went Aramex to Los Angeles instead of to New York/New Jersey, is now in "delivery exception" due to Aramex indicating that there is a possible delay in delivery due to package arrival at the incorrect carrier facility!!

You Think!!!! LOL.

Suffice to say somehow it must have been sent air-mail from Los Angeles to New Jersey since the package arrived this morning in Jersey City, NJ (a large mail depot that serves a lot of Northern NJ) - and is scheduled to be delivered (if I can believe USPS Informed Delivery) today or tomorrow.

Joti Cover likes this.
  20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks for your response! Not a fan of sampling...I know I liked them both back in the day, so I will just get both so I can hear the progression properly from Pink Flag to Chairs Missing...really looking forward to these.

It's Felix, thanks for starting this thread, it has helped with my decision to get the first two on vinyl this Friday...

MikeT likes this.
  21. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I've picked up the three vinyl releases but only managed to play "Pink Flag" to date. Also done an A B comparison to my original 77 Harvest and its surprisingly close, with the Harvest just winning - more air. slightly more detail, less compression? So certainly worthwhile if you have a less than pristine original copy.

Anyway sometimes I think this album is so great its in my Top 10 - looking forward to trying the other two soon.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How about listening to the entire albums a few times. Why buy something you might not like?...

Wire (Colin Newman) - Chairs Missing 1978 Full Vinyl

John Bliss and scotti like this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks, but already stated that I like these (just had been a long time), was wondering if one had aged any better than the other...but all good as I went a head and ordered both, want to hear these on vinyl on my system. Thanks for posting the link!

24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I agree with this review. I have a first pressing US Harvest. The reissue is more or less true to the original in tone. More compressed but there are still some dynamics.

An acceptable option imo. And this will put a vinyl copy of Pink Flag in more hands, which is really for the greater good.

Played all the way through, this Pink Flag sounds very good!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Good to hear and thanks for your insight as well as the feedback from "Jellis77" .

Just picked up Chairs Missing on vinyl yesterday and will listen today. My copy of Pink Flag is still on order...Will give my thoughts, but I will not be able to compare, as I do not have the originals. Looking forward to cranking CM up later today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.