Wolfmother Releasing Deluxe Edition of Self-Titled First Album for 10th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aaron52101, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron52101

Aaron52101 Active Member Thread Starter

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/2...niversary-bands-debut-album-deluxe-two-cd.htm

Here's to hopeing the CD at least is more dynamic then the original release.

Grammy-winning Australian band Wolfmother will celebrate the 10 th anniversary of their 2005 debut album with deluxe two-CD and two-LP vinyl versions that will be released on September 25
    The Wolfmother albums will include bonus B-sides, unreleased demos, live tracks and remixes.
    "We just banged out that whole record in one day," said lead vocalist/guitarist Andrew Stockdale about the the demos.
    "And you can hear it's pretty close to where the record actually ended up. I can't believe we were that good and we hadn't toured, we hadn't made any records before, we had no experience. It's like, 'What the hell was going on?'"
    Stockdale, a former fashion photographer, formed the band in Sydney with bassist Chris Ross and drummer Myles Heskett.
    The first album was recorded at Sound City (the drums), Pass Studios in Burbank (bass, guitars and some vocals) and Sound Factory.
    The album peaked at #3 on the ARIA Albums Chart in Australia. In the U.S., it peaked at #22, and was certified gold by the RIAA. Rolling Stone named it the 16th best album of the year for 2006.
    Wolfmother's debut album re-release will feature classic songs like the Top 10 U.S. alternative and #7 Mainstream Rock smash, "Woman," which earned the band a Best Hard Rock Performance Grammy in 2007, and the Rock radio mainstays "Joker & the Thief" and "White Unicorn," along with international hits, "Mind's Eye," "Dimension" and "Love Train."
    Wolfmother: 10th Anniversary will have original cover artwork by Frank Frazetta.
    Wolfmother went on to win Best Breakthrough Album and Best Rock Album, while the band took home Best Group at the 2006 Australian ARIA Music Awards, with "Woman" taking home Best Hard Rock performance at the 2007 GRAMMYs.
    The band followed up Wolfmother with 2009's Cosmic Egg and last year's New Crown.
    "After we had some success, it felt like labels were more open minded to guitar driven bands, phaser pedals and general psychedelic lyrical content, so to speak," Stockdale said in a statement.
    "Looking back now, I do see our first record as a catalyst for a bit of a change in the musical landscape. Whatever Wolfmother's roll or impact was on this change is questionable. I'm just happy that we got in when we did and everything I've seen since seems pretty righteous."
    Wolfmother just finished recording their fourth studio album with producer Brendan O'Brien which will be released in early 2016.
    WOLFMOTHER - WOLFMOTHER: 10TH ANNIVERSARY - DELUXE EDITION 2CD & DIGITAL TRACK LISTING:
    CD1 - Original Album
    1. Dimension
    2. White Unicorn
    3. Woman
    4. Where Eagles Have Been
    5. Apple Tree
    6. Joker & The Thief
    7. Colossal
    8. Mind's Eye
    9. Pyramid
    10. Witchcraft
    11. Tales From The Forest Of Gnomes
    12. Love Train
    13. Vagabond
    Bonus B-sides
    14. The Earth's Rotation Around The Sun†
    15. Vagabond (Acoustic Version)†
    16. Joker & The Thief (Loving Hands Remix)†
    17. Woman (Mstrkrft Remix)
    18. Love Train (Chicken Lips Malfunction Remix)†
    CD2 - Demos, B-sides & Live
    1. Dimension (Demo)*
    2. White Unicorn (Demo)*
    3. Woman (Early Days Demo)*
    4. Apple Tree (Demo)*
    5. Not Goin' Home (Joker & The Thief - Demo)*
    6. Colossal (Demo)*
    7. Pyramid (Early Jam Demo)*
    8. Witchcraft (Rehearsal Room Demo)*
    9. Love Train (Rehearsal Room Demo)*
    10. Vagabond (Rehearsal Room Demo)*
    11. Woman (Live)†
    12. Tales From The Forest Of Gnomes (Live)*
    13. Mind's Eye (Live)*
    14. Dimension (Live)†
    15. Where Eagles Have Been (Live)†
    *Previously Unreleased
    †Previously Unreleased in U.S.
    WOLFMOTHER - WOLFMOTHER: 10TH ANNIVERSARY - 2LP TRACK LISTING:
    LP1
    1. Dimension
    2. White Unicorn
    3. Woman
    4. Where Eagles Have Been
    LP2
    1. Apple Tree
    2. Joker & The Thief
    3. Colossal
    4. Mind's Eye
    LP3
    1. Pyramid
    2. Witchcraft
    3. Tales From The Forest Of Gnomes
    4. Love Train
    5. Vagabond
    LP4 - Bonus B-sides
    1. The Earth's Rotation Around The Sun†
    2. Vagabond (Acoustic Version)†
    3. Joker & The Thief (Loving Hands Remix)†
    4. Woman (Mstrkrft Remix)

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Sure, I'll listen. I like the second album better though, I'd kill for a deluxe edition.

3. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I'm in for the CD for the bonus material. May also buy the vinyl, not sure. The original pressing I have from 2006 sounds awful, lots of surface noise. I hope it's more dynamic too, but realistically, I'll bet it's gonna be even more squashed than the original.

4. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Holy cow, that was 10 years gone by? Hard to believe.

supermd and Holy Diver like this.
  5. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Wolfmother is one of the best hard rock bands of recent years, and this album just plain rocks!!!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Grohlfan likes this.
  6. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

I'm In!

7. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Did anyone pick up the vinyl? How does it sound?

8. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

It doesn't come out until Friday 9/25

9. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Ah ha! Well hopefully someone reports here on the sound quality. If its good, I'm in.

10. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Stockdale sounds like an egotistical tw*t. I guess that's what you need to have success.

Rockin' Robby, troyvod and Linus like this.
  11. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Too bad this band didn't stay together: I saw them in concert on their first tour and they were excellent.

supermd likes this.
  12. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Keen to hear how the SQ is on the vinyl if anyone has taken the plunge on it

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

First two albums were great, but sound like crap on CD. The only reason to re-issue the first is if they take a totally different mastering approach, which seems highly unlikely.

14. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I'm not sure it's possible to make the self-titled album any louder, but we can only hope for the best. If you think the first 2 albums sound bad, wait till you hear the last one, New Crown. It makes the first 2 sound like audiophile bliss by comparison.

15. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

no question, this album is a time stamp in my life. I was living in new zealand at the time and my friends and I were obsessed with this record. Three of us guys ended up forming a "wolf pack" and sharing the same nickname, wolf-brother.. To do this day we still call each other the wolf-brothers haha

supermd and Dorian75 like this.
  16. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Damn.....10 year already?

17. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I haven't heard it yet myself, but I read this comment earlier today on another site:
    "If you listen to it closely on a good hifi it is quite obvious the new versions are a tad clearer and louder! Gives a nice modern touch to them."

Yes, because those old albums mastered waaay back in the dark ages of 2005 really sound old and outdated now. And there were really some spots on this album that were just TOO quiet, so this should be quite an improvement! :rolleyes:

18. Aaron52101

Aaron52101 Active Member Thread Starter

I did a very unoffical A/B on itunes and by no means did the new ones sound any quieter. But some of the demos were pretty fun to listen to. The early version of Woman sounded drastically different.

JasonA likes this.
  19. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

No vinyl yet, but here's the DR for the CD:

DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR3 over -4.57 dB 101 - Dimension.aiff
    DR5 over -6.17 dB 102 - White Unicorn.aiff
    DR4 over -4.94 dB 103 - Woman.aiff
    DR4 over -6.62 dB 104 - Where Eagles Have Been.aiff
    DR4 over -5.33 dB 105 - Apple Tree.aiff
    DR4 over -5.40 dB 106 - Joker And The Thief.aiff
    DR4 over -5.54 dB 107 - Colossal.aiff
    DR5 over -6.62 dB 108 - Mind's Eye.aiff
    DR4 over -4.73 dB 109 - Pyramid.aiff
    DR5 over -6.13 dB 110 - Witchcraft.aiff
    DR4 over -5.95 dB 111 - Tales From The Forest Of Gnomes.aiff
    DR4 over -5.25 dB 112 - Love Train.aiff
    DR4 over -7.99 dB 113 - Vagabond.aiff
    DR4 -0.00 dB -6.54 dB 114 - The Earths Rotation Around The Sun.aiff
    DR7 -1.11 dB -9.71 dB 115 - Vagabond (Acoustic Version).aiff
    DR6 over -6.82 dB 116 - Joker And The Thief (Loving Hands (Tim Goldsworthy) Remix).aiff
    DR6 over -7.33 dB 117 - Woman (Mstrkrft Remix).aiff
    DR7 over -7.98 dB 118 - Love Train (Chicken Lips Remix).aiff
    DR6 -0.00 dB -6.55 dB 201 - Dimension (Demo).aiff
    DR5 over -8.10 dB 202 - White Unicorn (Demo).aiff
    DR5 over -6.41 dB 203 - Woman (Early Days Demo).aiff
    DR5 -0.00 dB -6.34 dB 204 - Apple Tree (Demo).aiff
    DR4 -0.00 dB -5.92 dB 205 - Not Goin' Home (Joker & The Thief) (Demo).aiff
    DR4 -0.00 dB -5.68 dB 206 - Colossal (Demo).aiff
    DR4 over -5.69 dB 207 - Pyramid (Early Jam Demo).aiff
    DR5 -0.00 dB -5.88 dB 208 - Witchcraft (Rehearsal Room Demo).aiff
    DR4 -0.00 dB -5.53 dB 209 - Love Train (Rehearsal Room Demo).aiff
    DR5 over -10.38 dB 210 - Vagabond (Rehearsal Room Demo).aiff
    DR6 -0.00 dB -6.91 dB 211 - Woman (Live At Triple J).aiff
    DR6 over -8.30 dB 212 - Tales From The Forest Of Gnomes (Live At Triple J).aiff
    DR5 over -7.98 dB 213 - Mind's Eye (Live At Triple J).aiff
    DR6 over -6.86 dB 214 - Dimension (Live At Big Day Out).aiff
    DR4 over -6.17 dB 215 - Where Eagles Have Been (Live From Lollapalooza 2006).aiff
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of files: 33
    Official DR value: DR5

==============================================================================================

20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I picked up the vinyl today. According to the blurb on the sticker affixed to the plastic wrap the vinyl is "newly remastered from high resolution transfers from the analog reels". Hopefully this means the vinyl mastering is different from the CD.

JasonA likes this.
  21. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

All that and no mention of producer Dave Sardy? He was a major reason that album was great and those songs sound like they do. Love the band but Sardy not being mentioned in a reissue anniversary article that long is crazy especially because they do state Brendan O'Brien is producing their forthcoming album.

That said this should be really cool!

22. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Had a listen yet? How does it sound?

23. DPM

DPM Senior Member

No, not yet. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to give it a listen. I shall report my findings.

24. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

It sounds about the same as the original release. The demo versions on disc 2 are worth the price of admission for me, and the packaging is nice. Comes with a fairly thick booklet full of lyrics, photos and lots of info. I do wish they would have included recording dates for the demos, though.

25. So it still has a sound that'll make you check your tweeters for damage, then. Feh.

Dorian75 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.