Wonder Woman (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No! Referring to her as an ideal DC film character.

2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

You are correct about DC Comics going their own direction when it comes to Greek Mythology. In one of the last pre-New-52 Wonder Woman comics I read, there was an upheaval in Olympus. Ares deposed Pluto and became the God of The Underworld, and Athena deposed Zeus and became Queen of Olympus.

As far as Wonder Woman's origin, it seems to be in flux. I read the first DC Rebirth issue of Wonder Woman. It opens with the origin of Wonder Woman, which had her being formed from clay and given life by the Gods...

or...

Hippolyta was fell in love with and became pregnant by a man who was actually Zeus in disguise.

Trying to find out the truth about her origins, Diana tied herself with her magic lasso and found out that the above may not be the truth. She departed on a quest to find out her true origin.

3. alexpop

And the jury is still out for the mythological clash of this century
    Thor Vs Wonder Woman?

Vidiot likes this.
  4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Wonder what that baby would be like?

5. alexpop

Loki good. :laugh:

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]

shokhead likes this.
  7. alexpop

What about the DC vs Marvel crossover comic in 1996 where the superheroes merged ?

8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I saw the movie again last week and enjoyed it even more the second time. Loved it.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I got the impression that Wonder Woman would not really be interested in Thor. :sigh:

10. alexpop

Probably give him a good whipping with her lasso" ye gods Odin's son hath been smited ". :)

11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

But the size of his hammer!

Vidiot and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

Not Thor, but cor. :)

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So I finally saw Wonder Woman, mainly because it was positively received AND because Gal Gadot is so gosh darn cute!

I enjoyed most of the film, the first three quarters or so. It was fun and had some good action scenes. But unfortunately, the last quarter was a complete bore and typical of most superhero big final fight scenes - powerful god-like opponents squaring off, throwing lightning bolts, flame bombs, cars, tanks, and monologues at one another. I couldn't have cared less - there was simply no tension or suspense. It marred what was otherwise a fairly enjoyable film.

Higlander and sunspot42 like this.
  14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Those darn monologues turn me off too.

15. alexpop

I'll be triple dipping and getting the steelbook no doubt. Gal Gadot looks a lot better now than in Furious 5.

Lightworker likes this.
  16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, that ending was definitely a mess.

One of these days, somebody will write a decent ending for one of these stupid superhero movies first, then go back and write the story to get us there.

17. alexpop

The villain was all lighting bolts and no spark.

18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Oh man, I haven't seen it and you spoiled it for me. Imagine that, a big fight scene at the end of the movie :)

sunspot42, Mazzy and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

I see what you did there. :)

sunspot42 and ssmith3046 like this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

For all of the women out there who didn't love Wonder Woman, you're not alone. There's a support group that can help you through the struggle. :)

alexpop, Lightworker and Simon A like this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Just saw it as well. I had high expectations based on all the positive reviews and felt let down. It was a bit forced and labored--not just the ending. What really bothered me about it was a common complaint I have for movies directed and written by men: they don't get the female characters right. Here, the problem was not the female characters but the male ones. They were just awkward and unbelievable on a fundamental level that doesn't even rise to a "comic book" baseline. Forget about the god-issue, which wasn't properly paid off. The man issue was more the problem. An opportunity missed.

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

We need more directors for every movie: straight men directing straight men, straight women directing straight women, and then Pedro Almodovar and Jodie Foster ;)

Lightworker likes this.
  23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I saw Wonder Woman for the first time this weekend and I have to say that for me, it's the first really thought-provoking superhero movie I've ever seen.

She's really everything a superhero should be - powerful, likeable, and concerned with cosmic justice. More than any other superhero I've seen portrayed on screen, she's aware of the weak and the helpless. Her telling off of the generals was absolutely perfect. Her awakening from a perfect naivete, thinking that the gods alone determine human nature, to a more thorough understanding of man's complicity in the darkness, was perfectly expressed. Yet it's apparent that her eyes becoming open does not diminish her drive to seek peace and justice. Also she was portrayed pretty convincingly as an alien-like being forced into human society, much more so than Superman.

Now, I admit, I'm easily entertained, and I get lost in movies to such an extent that my critical instinct can get suspended, but I was really impressed with this movie, so much more than any of the other DC offerings that I've seen.

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Maybe I need to see it again, but I didn't enjoy any of that in WW. The Dark Knight trilogy was more relatable, nuanced and realistic in its portrait of loss, revenge, social justice and what it means to be a hero. And many of the Marvel films are done far better. As I said, the male characters in WW were very strange and unconvincing.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Frankly I wasn't really all that focused on the male characters. It was Diana's story, I was interested to see what they made of her.

The first Dark Knight movie was great and is the only one of the three that I rewatch, and there are several Marvel movies I rewatch, but none of them really made me think. The Marvel movies are great roller-coaster rides but they don't make me think about the nature of man and love and war and justice. Mostly at the end I'm wondering who's going to foot the bill for the cities that the heroes destroyed.

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.