Woodstock (1969 Film): How Well Do You Think It Has Aged?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Siegmund, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I notice it a lot!

When you look at archival footage from the summer of love, same thing.

I remember seeing hair, a few days before turning sixteen.

I like to watch YouTube videos of different stage production's, like JC Superstar and Hair (which is 50-years old this month).

A few years back, I recall, watching some student production's and thinking, wow! I couldn't believe how much most of these students weigh now days.

I was also thinking, looking so out of shape as so many of them appeared to be and these people are somehow thinking that they are going to have career's in professional theater?

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the way things are going in this PC world it will be fine.

Dude111 and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Although there are some more than memorable performances, I am minded to consider the opening title sequence as being the best part of the presentation.

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Your new avatar is scaring me. :)

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

well it's the Halloween season! BOO!

SandAndGlass and Dude111 like this.
  6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I wasnt here when it happend and I LOVE THIS WEEKEND!!! (So yer statement isnt 100% true bud)

7. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Woodstock 50th Anniversary is just around the corner. I have the Director's Cut on 2 VHS tapes but if they do a special DVD next year I'll get it.

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My daughter was in her middle school's chorus. Several of the girls weighed significantly more than I.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Warner’s did a 40th anniversary blu-ray which is the best version of the film of home video so far. It’s the extended version though, not the original shorter theater version.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  10. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Actually, this is the version to get.

Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music Blu-ray

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  11. Michael

watched this recently and yes, it's still fresh and brings back memories of "being there" I will always love this!

andrewskyDE and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Michael

yes! the most complete as of now...but, will we see another BD for the 50th?...and this BD is dirt cheap thanks to Walmart blowing them out a while back at 5 bucks...wonder why they did that as they are no longer offering it at that price?
    ebay sellers are blowing them out still...must have grabbed all the ones from Walmart!

13. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

There is no opening title sequence.

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I was there but have not yet seen any footage with me in it. I hope more footage is released and maybe I will get lucky. I walked into an area where some guy was filming with some pretty professional looking equipment but he stopped when I was about to try to get in on the action. I guess he could not recognize a star in the waiting. :D

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

that's cool...too cool!

Rose River Bear likes this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Even if I did wind up in a shot they probably edited me out......they did not want the film to be corrupted. :D

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

I'm sure you are exaggerating! : )

18. Rose River Bear

We left the night before the last day and I missed Jimi. There were so few people left I probably would have shown up in the crowd. But when I think about it I am glad I was not in that field on the final day. I probably would have passed out from the smell. o_O

19. Michael

indeed...it was pretty bad! well at least you have the BD to see him!

20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

It probably hurt them all in the long run unless your name is Jeff Beck!

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The film is still very interesting and illuminating to watch.
    The actual line up of talent on one bill is staggering and likely never bettered.
    Some may laugh now but in 50 years if they play their current day festival to their grandkids they will likely pity them and say, man what about that epic 100 year old festival l've heard about!

Hardy Melville likes this.
  22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

God, I love the Woodstock movie. Born in the 90s, it was clear to me from the start that the style of the movie was something completely dated, a product of its time - just like the music you can hear and the people you see in the audience (or at least their fashion).

I highly enjoy watching the 4-hour Director's Cut as sort of a time travel to an era long gone and do so on a regular basis, actually. Plus, it's worth it for the music alone - The Who playing their Summertime Blues at about 2 in the morning is so amazing to watch. Sadly, CCR wouldn't allow most of their performance to be used in the movie, I'd love to see that.

genesim likes this.
  23. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I have the dvd version. I watch it from time to time, but as much as I love parts of it, I can't remember the last time I watched it all the way through. Some parts of interviews with the fans can drag. And given the diverse lineup, even being open minded about such variety, some acts come off less well than others (I never cared for Sha Na Na, for example).

But some parts are flat out great, and the opening segment with Long Time Coming playing while the camera shows the crews setting up is really well done.

Could have been done better, but the event itself makes it special.

24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Every time that I catch a snippet of Woodstock, it reminds me how much cooler and
    more interesting the music scene was a little bit earlier, as depicted in Monterey Pop.

[​IMG]

DHamilton likes this.
  25. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I remember seeing it in the theater on its initial release. I was blown away by the music and the scene in general. I think it was rated R but somehow I got in as I was well under 17.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.