Woodstock (1969 Film): How Well Do You Think It Has Aged?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Siegmund, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

3. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

How right you are.

4. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I saw it on the big screen for the *gulp* 30th anniversary.

The backing vocals from the Grease Band actually elicited laughter from the audience since it was a bunch of scruffy looking guys trying to emulate someone like the Blossoms or Sweet Inspirations via male falsetto.

You have to give em credit for reaching back and just doing it in front of 300k plus people.

I wonder how it played in the theater in 1970?

5. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Saw it on the screen in 1999. The audience still laughed.

That was the answer I was looking for.

Scruffy hippie guys doing female gospel vocals must be inherently funny!

Lightworker likes this.
  6. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Every time I see part of the movie I am so glad I decided not to go, although this one, less than 100 miles away from me, would have been much worse!

Watch

7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Flo & Eddie always made me grin when they "went Supremes" on their b/g vocals.

Steve Litos likes this.
  8. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I saw it in the theater as wee lad, at least 15. Loved it then, love it now. At that time you were a nobody if you did not have the 3LP album.

Steve Litos likes this.
  9. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I grabbed that up. Couldn't believe it.

I think the film is still very enjoyable and having all the extras is equally rewarding. The separate bluray of Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock has some great alternate footage, and I consider it a nice companion piece.

There are so many great performances. I think with Martin Scorsese's editing and the wonderful "feel" of the movie...I just shrug. Aged? Uh it is from 1969, it is as "aged" as it is. I wish I woulda been there, and I think I would have stayed to the very end. I usually can stick most events out. The only thing that ever stops me, is the wimps that I roll with (that sometimes have been my ride).:rolleyes: When you have been through that a few times, you are your own ride. :righton:

I don't blame anyone that left this event though. And without being there, I can't really know how I would have felt. Wishful thinking I guess.

Michael likes this.
  10. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

The first time I attempted to see it (1982), they wouldn't let us in because my brother was just 13. We had to drag our dad to the Showcase Cinema the next night.

It was a double feature with Monterey Pop, and they really cranked up the volume. Best double feature ever.

Michael likes this.
  11. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Far from that to me. The two best things about Monterey are in Woodstock as well, with more years of experience, more maturity and power behind their playing... making Monterey seem much closer to a TV variety show lineup of the time, than the massive concert that Woodstock was.
    :shrug:

Lightworker and Michael like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you got it...the only one so far...let's see what the 50th brings.

13. Michael

that had to be fabulous on the big screen!

14. Michael

and lest not forget Woodstock 2!

15. Michael

It was rated R and it was the theatrical version that's not available on Home video presently...ppl were bitching about how they were there but could not get in to see it! funny...

16. Lightworker

Guess I like my rock more psychedelic/innocent and less 'mature'. Hendrix and The Who played pretty relatively boring/safe sets at Woodstock IMHO.
    I also enjoy Moby Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service and The Byrds more than Sha Na Na, Joan Baez and Joe Cocker...but I'd a guitar rocker @ heart.

17. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I don't know about that. Star Spangled Banner or Villanova Point safe? I don't see that. I guess in the summation, but damn if you blow the doors off for the person that actually saw Hendrix, those 2 songs alone were very daring IMHO.

The Who, same thing.

applebonkerz and Lightworker like this.
  18. Lightworker

Apples/Oranges
    Rock & Roll/"Rock"
    Innocent/"Mature"
    Fun/"Daring"

Guess I'll always be a good-time rock & roller @ heart.

19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I am confused. In the first example you say you like it more psychodelic and innocent. Was Star Spangled Banner too hard and not "mature"?

Did Joan Baez not "rock" enough?

I feel your support on both sides and I truly don't know where you lay.

I though Jimi and the Who brought really strong sets even though both were at different place. Hendrix was obviously burned out and threw the band together, but yet despite that, still delivered gold. I applaud him for making a change and not staying safe at all (getting his army buddies to do some pretty out there work).

The Who on the other hand, really killed it, but I respect not liking it as much as others.

My go to with Woodstuck is the fantastic Suite Judy Blue Eyes, I like that version even better than the official recording.

As for the whole movement, pretty hippy and not really "rock" in a Sun Sessions or even Black Sabbath kind of way. Woodstock was just something else entirely.

applebonkerz and Lightworker like this.
  20. Lightworker

Guess that's why I can take it or leave it now. I never really dug the whole "hippy" thing back then. I had long hair, tripped a lot (even in school), dug The Beatles, Hendrix, The
    Airplane etc. and hoped my draft number was 'high' when Nam was happening. But I thought the whole Abbie Hoffman/phony revolutionary stuff was for sheep, and you couldn't
    make me sit through a Joan Baez performance if you held me at gunpoint. My idea of a "counterculture" band was The Flying Burrito Brothers...uniting, not dividing music fans.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hahhaa. I run every time I hear her voice come over a loudspeaker.

My fav performance is by Ten Years After, exactly the one that sent someone's wife running.

Lightworker likes this.
  22. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

The most important question is this:

Have many folks, after tripping out, smoking weed, and rolling in mud for a good part of the weekend were awoken at 7am (!) on Monday morning to the sounds of Sha-Na-Na and thought the world spun off its axis and freaked out?

JamieC and Lightworker like this.
  23. Lightworker

Probably a Baez supporter!

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.