World's most expensive DVD/Universal player!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

2. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Yeah, it reminds me of the Goldumd Reference Turntable. Big Bucks.

3. triple

triple Senior Member

I have always liked the looks of their gear. Value for money is another story, though.

Goran

4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I hope they don't have a "one per customer" limit! :D

-Jeffrey

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I wonder if it will play GREENDALE?? :D

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have seen this baby, it is beautiful. It weighs 255 pounds, and it is amazing.

7. dcooper

dcooper New Member

Why would someone spend $75k on a universal player? Seriously. Can someone help me understand why this unit is better than, say, the Denon 5900 or, to be more accurate, why it is 25 or more times better than the 5900?

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

It does look very cool. I suppose it just follows the old HiEnd addage: build a nice product and somebody will have to have it no matter what the cost :D

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

At last, something that looks decent. Now, can someone get me a knock-off for $500? :)

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Like buying a Ferrari or a Bentley.

11. boead

boead New Member

? My CAL DAC sounds better then the Denon 5900, my buddy had the DVD-5000 and had so many problems with it Denon ended up giving him a credit in the amount of his original purchase towards any Denon product!! He got the DVD-9000 and my CAL DAC still sounds better then that too!! He uses it as a transport.

12. dcooper

dcooper New Member

Fair enough, but your CAL DAC didn't cost $75,000! It's the extreme price shift between the Denon and the Goldmund that I was objecting to. I wasn't putting the Denon on a pedestal, it was simply the first (non-Pioneer) universal player that popped into my head.

13. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Dan, As I said earlier it is like buying a Ferrari or a Bentley. You know you are way over paying, but it is pride of ownership.

14. boead

boead New Member

I understand. I have a little beef with Denon right now.

I have been a Denon buyer for a while. Mostly CD Players and Tape decks (hate their amps, had a AVR 1600 that was just horrible sounding) and recently a couple of DVD Players. One broke after a year, the other won’t play DVD-R’s and has issues tracking the last few songs of a 80min CDR. And it wasn’t cheap, a DVD-1000 at over $400.

I replaced the Denon stuff with a Pioneer VSX-811S receiver and a Pioneer DV-563 player that blows the Denon stuff away. I was quite surprised and happy. The Pioneer DVD player plays everything and is very quiet. Its 2-channel audio isn’t quite as good but I don’t use it for music listening, just TV and movies.

I would agree that the DVD-5600 or DVD-9000 are extremely good players, especially for video but there over priced and not what they can be or should be. The 2-channel audio on the DVD-9000 was actually a disappointment for a $4500 player. My used, can get one on eBay for $500, DAC with a NOS Bugle Boy tube is so much better its not even funny!

I’m replacing my DVD-1000 with this:
    Marantz Professional PMD331 CD Player
    http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=1500&CatID=1&SubCatID=1

[​IMG]

And guess who owns Marantz now???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.