Worst Chicago song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videoman

videoman Senior Member

What do you think are the 3 worst songs from the "classic" period

2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I heard Columbia was not happy with the album and that's why they difnt promote it

3. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

The 1986 mix of 25 Or 6 To 4 is no highlight but I would say it at least has some energy behind it, more than the majority of the wrist-slashing 80s power ballads and the milquetoast Diane Warren moments.

And I actually really like Hard Habit To Break and Hard To Say I'm Sorry/Get Away. They were much better than You're The Inspiration/Look Away/If She Would Have Been Faithful

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

IMO, the three worst songs from the classic period Chicago (1969-1977):
    Ain't It Blue - VIII
    You Get It Up - X (although I love the Terry Kath guitar solo on this track)
    Vote For Me - XI

g.z. likes this.
  5. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Anything after Hot Streets really.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'd put that to Pankow's vocal-- He's an OK singer, but that's all. Lamm or Kath should've sung it. Same goes for "Till the End of Time".

Hep Alien and videoman like this.
  7. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

From one of the greatest debut albums ever. I STILL give the release 5 stars despite this "song" being an utter waste of plastic, tape and aluminum. I attempted to tie myself to a chair a couple of years ago in an attempt to listen to it all the way through. I broke free and I am sure that it won't happen in my lifetime.

Now back to the SH forums usual Chicago thread where folks who have never heard much of anything beyond Chicago 17 malign the work of Bill Champlin, Danny Seraphine, Chris Pinnick, Dawayne Bailey and Jason Scheff.

8. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

According to the information found in the Group Portrait Box Set booklet, different band singers (Lamm, Kath and Cetera) tried "You Are On My Mind", but Pankow felt they were not nailing it the way he heard it, so producer Jim Guercio said, "You sing it," and that effort landed on the final album.

Comet01 likes this.
  9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

He sounds like weak-tea Kath to me. Probably not the voice to use to try and sell a single. Especially at the point by 76 where Cetera's voice has become so cemented as the band's lead singer

I like his voice better on "Mind" than "Time". But that's probably due a lot to it being a much better song.

10. That's actually a "cover song"

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

"Window Dreamin'" from XIII ranks as one of the worst.
    Those latter LPs before the group's 80s resurgence weren't stellar.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Not Chicago's fault but this dreadful thing plagued the radio for quite a while.
    How can you sample and not make sure you transcribe the WORDS right ? ("street sounds", not "these sounds").

Comet01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's an awesome song though.

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nope. :)

15. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    BluesOvertookMe and Dodoz like this.
  16. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

That one is right up there with Revolution #9. FFG sounds like someone revving a truck engine. This is definitely Chicago's worst track (I wouldn't call it a song).

Comet01 likes this.
  17. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I don't know and don't want to find out! If there's a worse Chicago song than 'You're the Insipid Perspiration" I don't want to hear it. Though it might serve a tactical miltary purpose to blast it over the DMZ into North Korea. If that's not against the Geneva Convention.

18. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

I agree that it's not a song.
    It would be better described as a 'sound experiment'... but that label doesn't make it any more listenable!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of No Tell Lover.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

At least Resolution #9 was an attempt at something interesting.

Free Form Guitar is just unlistenable crap. I'd call it filler, but that would be an insult to filler.

Michael P likes this.
  21. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I only generally listen to the albums up to XI, but I do appreciate the later albums, even after Peter left, although I am not as familiar with every song on albums after Hot Streets. I'd have to say You Get It Up is the worst actual song they have up to the XI era. Being a guitar player I can sit through Free Form Guitar, on a good day, same as I can with Black Sabbath's FX on Vol 4 (although much shorter a guitar effect art piece). Both build to what comes after, at least for me.

AudiophilePhil and Hep Alien like this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

So basically this thread is a bandcrap

23. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

To me, Chicago is a great band. It just so happens some songs may not be as good as the many others that are. It happens.

24. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Oh, there are some disasters in Chicago's catalog. "You Come To My Senses" was so awful, Pankow almost quit over it. I have no clue what Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly were thinking. They've written some great songs but this one should have been buried. It wouldn't have been good for anyone. It's just a wretched song. Jason's vocal doesn't help at all. It was a desperate attempt at a hit that fell apart spectacularly.

If you can do it...

This performance isn't quite as bad as I remember but Jason's vocal is challenged often. On the plus side, dig his hair. It's a perfect lion's mane. The girls were swooning big time.. :)

Ed

John Bliss and Hep Alien like this.
  25. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

True.

Does anyone believe the group could experience a big revival, a comeback?

After all, few would've thought Chicago would've returned in the mid-80s.
    Though I don't particularly care for those David Foster-produced "simple songs," (I usually skip them on my Ipod- I need to remove most of them, actually), 1982 saw a big comeback, in terms of chart singles & million-sellers.

Few would've believed The Beach Boys, which were from THE 1960S.... would've come back with a No. 1 song in 1988 (Kokomo), but they did.

So anything's possible.

For the record, I'd personally love to see them return with some great songs.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    AudiophilePhil and John Bliss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.