Worst Chicago song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

It depends also on how old you and your friend were in the late '60's and much of the '70's when the band was at its peak of creativity.

2. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

We Built This City

3. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

never liked Skin Tight

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

:hurlleft: "Saturday In The Park" :hurl:

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That was the best track on that album (VIII?)

6. AudiophilePhil

I like the album track "Skintight" because of the Terry Kath guitar solo in the middle part of the song.

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I haven't heard that song since the LP came out in '78.

[​IMG]

8. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Worst Chicago song? Easy.

Pick one - any one - produced after 1977.

9. AudiophilePhil

The album was released in 1976 when Terry Kath was still alive.

MikaelaArsenault and ZackyDog like this.
  10. AudiophilePhil

There are some excellent songs from post-Kath Columbia albums from 1978-1980 but they have one thing in common.
    They don't have Terry Kath's guitar and voice on them.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  11. BZync

BZync Senior Member

It sounds like Robert Palmer.

12. "If She Would Have Been Faithful". These wimps were the foremost practitioners (no way am I calling these geldings "masters") of Cuck Rock, and this turgid heap of bleat might be the ultimate example.

13. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Can't pick one track but I believe the operation went south somewhere around the time Guercio was replaced by the "Hit King."

[​IMG]

14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I jump off after XIV - more a hatred of Bill Champlin and David Foster than any loss of Kath. I thought Lamm (with Pankow) should've re-asserted creative responsibility after Terry's death, and not permitted Cetera and Seraphine (and Loughnane and Dacus) to democratise the band as much, let alone bring in outside writers.

So, I haven't heard any of their big 80s hits (they weren't hits on any radio I was listening to in the 80s) and when I saw them in concert (well, Lamm, Loughnane and a bunch of ringers) they made no impact if they did play any of them.

So, I'm going for the full 15 minute Elegy suite on side four of Chicago III, which fully ruins the album. Not a single worthy note in the whole piece, and the part with the pneumatic drill being the most obnoxious. I'd sooner hear You Get It Up or Birthday Boy or Harry Truman than that thing ever again.

jtsjc1 likes this.
  15. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Interestingly, what this thread has shown me, is the large number of Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago (with Kath) fans that are extremely disappointed with later incarnations of the band.
    (Very understated, I know.)

Almost to the point of feeling betrayed.

Genesis fans seem docile and mild by comparison...

DavidD, Dudley Morris, zebop and 2 others like this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

I stop after the first Chicago album with Jason Scheff.

17. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Your welcome. :D

zebop likes this.
  18. Almost everything from IV to XXXVIII. Imho

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

For everyone's enjoyment. More like everyone's envomit.

zebop likes this.
  20. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Doesn't the suite end with the sound of a toilet flush? I'm thinkng all the David Foster albums should have ended with the same sound.

DavidD and jtsjc1 like this.
  21. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

I don't mind the 80s ballads that much - I mean they hold their own with 80s ballads by, say, Heart or Foreigner. The only real pity is that they were released under the same name as the 70s stuff. It causes us to make comparisons between two entirely different beasts.

Having said that, with very limited experience of the early years, I'd have to agree with "Free Form Guitar", but "Fancy Colours" on II is pretty unpleasant as well.

lightbulb likes this.
  22. AudiophilePhil

I love Chicago III's Side Four specially the third movement called "Once Upon A Time". It has a lovely melody. It started softly with flute and build into a climax starting with the sound of the trombone at 1:56.

Terrapin Station and EdgardV like this.
  23. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I should have said the first time that I heard the LP.:oops:

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I actually like the 80s ballads, whether they were sung by Bill, Peter or Jason.

The thing with bands with a relatively long history such as Chicago (or Heart, or Genesis, or Foreigner, or Journey, etc.) is that once they have reach the top of the charts, they are under pressure by the record companies to match that success. Yes, Pankow and Lamm could've took reign of the band after Kath's passing, and maybe even coming back to the sound that members of this forum preferred, but I seriously doubt the band would've achieve any commercial success in the changing music soundscape of the 80s. In fact, if Chicago went back to their 70s sound, the band would've faded faster into obscurity much faster.

Foster may be a jerk and his comment of his "16 Grammys" in that CNN documentary solidified my opinion of him as such. But he did have that "magic touch" at that moment in time. It's always a fine line balancing with artistic ambitions vs. commercial successes. But it's called "music business" for a reason.

Worst song? Peter Cetera's "Glory of Love". Could've been a 80s Chicago ballad....I'm thankful it wasn't.

25. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

LOL@All of that. "Geldings..." :biglaugh:

Nostaljack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.