worst ever box sets:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blitzableiter, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I didn't mind Biograph too much because at the time I was cautiously entering the CD "rebuy" mentality and was happy to have some of those songs on disc. There were some fine previously unreleased numbers too. But at this point it feels like a teaser leading up to The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3, which was a fine box set except that the booklets were assembled with disappearing glue. Mine is now a folder holding loose pages.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup. "Biograph" was a pioneering set - I believe it was the first package of its sort, at least from a major artist. A couple years later, "Crossroads" helped move along the boxed set as well...

3. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

ELP - 'The Return Of The Manticore' set. There is a lot more in the vaults that could have been included. E.g. all three guys have released their own 'Anthologies' of stuff, some of which should have belonged on an ELP set. And KE has another disc of rarities out shortly, some of which could have enhanced an ELP set. I wish the three would all one day do it properly, together.

chef0069 likes this.
  4. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

I remember trying to decide whether to buy that 10-LP "10 of Swords" boxset, or wait a couple of months for Biograph to be released, having heard that they were finally going to open the floodgates of unreleased material. Sure wound up glad that the owner of Bleecker Records or whatever it was called back then persuaded me to go ahead with 10 of Swords.

John

RandyP likes this.
  5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Who--30 Years of Maximum R&B. Not enough rarities from their prime years, no b-sides(except "Daddy Rolling Stone") or BBC tracks(again, except for the Keith Moon stuff).

AND HORRID MASTERING.

Evan

Sordel likes this.
  6. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I like the Paul Simon set and it's one of the few rock box sets I own simply because it is an excellent collection of his career.
    Though if they decided to release a 4 CD set with a few more Simon & Garfunkel tunes and some stuff off of Capeman and You're the One, I'd be all over that.

I don't like sets like Biograph and Aerosmith's Pandora's Box and The Who's Maximum R&B because they have both a lot of stuff that a newbie would want and a hardcore fan would want. For all its minor faults, at least the Paul Simon set has a clear target consumer- someone who wants a one-stop shopping place for the artist's work.

If I liked Clapton post-Cream and Beck post-"fusion" stuff, than Beckology and Crossroads would be cool.

I guess I'll also defend Once in a Livetime- yeah it's cumbersome, but the track selection simply can't be beat. That set and Stop Making Sense make one hell of a Talking Heads collection, and, most importantly, it sounds fantastic.

I'll agree that the Charlie Christian box is stupid.

The Herbie Hancock box from Columbia sounds great and has a sweet track selection, but that clear cube box thing is a pain in the ***, though it looks cool. Like the Miles Columbia sets, it's been re-released in normal cardboard boxes at cheaper prices. I opted to go with the cumbersome annoying boxes because they just look cool.

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Mr. Astley's work I presume? :D

8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I think you're right about that, come to think of it. (My copy is hidden right now.) I remember that the jewel cases were so odd without a front cover.

I'd forgotten about the list price, because I got it as a gift.

pablo fanques likes this.
  9. Eric B

Eric B Forum Resident

The 3 CD ELO box....aweful! and I believe there was a 2 CD long-box of Donovan that was extra skimpy....

10. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

I liked the package and the first three discs... the 4th disc (and the price tag) left a burning sensation.

pablo fanques likes this.
  11. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

Some of the most garish packaging and artwork I've ever seen (Loves You, that is).

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The 2 CD Donovan set is "Troubadour: The Definitive Collection 1964-1976" which is still in print but without the box and photo album. Someone of his stature needed a full boxed set, and now he has the boxed set.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, and so does my nude promo set...all 4 discs in slimline jewel cases...I think I paid 24 bucks for it...and IT fits in my CD cabinet!

14. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member

The worst box set I have purchased is the 2001 Fantasy 20 bit super coded CCR box set. While I am grateful for the early pre CCR tunes I think the overall sound of the CCR LP's is very shrill,harsh and disappointing. I have only played this set one. Ugh. Terrible sound.

Charlie

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I never understood the long box design. The version that came folded in a "short" box (originally available in Target & Circuit City - not sure if it appeared anywhere else) makes much more sense. With this package, nothing falls out and they printed the album covers on the spine. I get the feeling the long box was an afterthought and was never thought through properly.

I don't think I've ever seen a copy of that set in the stores that didn't have the discs all over the place inside the cube!

:)

16. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Definately not 'worst,' but The Complete Studio Recordings of Mississippi John Hurt just repackaged the original three CDs. If I stick disc one in my drive, the CD information that the programs download just refer to it as the original single disc release (Mississippi John Hurt Today! instead of The Complete...disc 1).

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

What's so bad about that?

18. JWB

JWB New Member

Which one? There are two 3-CD ELO boxes.

19. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I see. I thought the comment about the Flashback box, which is a textbook example for an outstanding box set. (I wish it would include all UK singles, though.) I have never owned the Afterglow box set, but I am aware of the countless bad reviews.

20. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Referring to Afterglow: Weird volume drops/changes during some of the songs, mediocre mastering with added reverb (IIRC), the single edit of Mr. Blue Sky. OTOH, the liner notes are worthwhile and some rare songs are included.

21. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I agree 100%.

22. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

I ordered this a few days ago but haven't got it yet. For $18, I'm not complaining about the incorrect titles :)
    I actually prefer the original album names instead of the Complete...(Disc 1), but that's just me :laugh:
    What do you think of the sound quality?

23. blitzableiter

blitzableiter Member Thread Starter

Isn't that also packaged in a tin can like the Billie Holiday set I am talking about? If so - I hear ya' ... I don't know how anyone at Verve can put a passing grade on such a reissue.

If anyone is interested in the BH Complete Studio Master Takes box set, let me know or PM/emai me... i'll make you a good price.

D.

24. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

No, I mean the old one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2/103-5343658-1767817?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

I don't know how anyone at Verve could put a passing grade on THIS reissue. I'm sure the newer box is way better.

25. reechie

reechie Senior Member

And Astley's fetish at that time for segueing songs together. :realmad:

pablo fanques and peachyg72 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.