worst ever box sets:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blitzableiter, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Beckology! It could have been truly epic (pun intended). Instead we get way too much Yardbirds, a flawed representation of his studio albums, next to no live/unreleased material, and nary a track of the Guv'nor backing other artists. Considering the musician in question, it could have been the best box set ever. Instead it's a colossal disappointment. :cussing:

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It was originally intended to have another disc but the record company did not think a 4 disc Jeff Beck set would sell well enough. I believe some more live stuff and session work as well as more unreleased tracks were intended to be included if I remember correctly.

supernaut and PHILLYQ like this.
  3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I still don't get why Last Time Around was not included in its entirety on the Buffalo Springfield box. There was plenty of room for it, especially considering the unnecessarily repeated tracks.

4. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

They really dropped the ball. If anything an extra disc would have increased sales. It would have served as an added enticement to fans who already had most, or good portion, of Beck's albums.

It's been long enough since Beckology to justify an updated career spanning box set. Hopefully, whoever's charged with putting it together will add that extra disc of live performances/session work/unreleased tracks.

supernaut, PHILLYQ and John Fell like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And no Blue Wind or Rice Pudding. Like they're only his two greatest post-Yardbirds tracks...

supernaut likes this.
  6. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I know. Unbelievable. Makes me wonder if whoever was in charge of putting Beckology together was even a Jeff Beck fan!

supernaut likes this.
  7. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

David Bowie - The Next Day Extra.
    Take an album padded with filler and add more filler.

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I love New Order, but Retro was a major letdown.

Having friends curate the discs?????

9. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

"John Denver: Country Roads Collection," RCA's deluxe 4-CD box set released shortly after Denver's death.
    The song selection is adequate, the packaging is very good, but the sound is just awful. Way, way too much noise reduction...
    Hopefully, the upcoming 4-CD set, "All My Memories," will make up for it.

Remington Steele likes this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i cannot verify this, but my gut tells me that neil young does not get along with jim messina.

hence, no "carefree country day" on the box set and no jim messina even mentioned at the buffalo springfield reunion show at the bridge school concert nor on the ill-fated buffalo springfield tour that neil young abruptly put an end to.

fallbreaks and Folknik like this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

worst box set ever for me:

the fist hollies box set. all the major hits were live versions instead of the studio versions, of which they probably could have put both stereo and mono versions on.

peachyg72 likes this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Interesting Jeff, The only Neworder I don't own

13. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me, this was the one I was going to post as well!

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

I suppose not the worst, but the recent Scott Walker box set was a supreme disappointment.

15. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Wasn't this the box where it was the only place to get both S&G and Paul Simon solo tracks?

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The Joy Division one was done so well, but in typical NO "don't give a toss" fashion they let some journalist pick the hits, DJ Mike Pickering from the Hac pick the Club tracks, Bobby Gillespie pick the live ones, and I can't even recall who chose the "deep cuts". I mean there is some good stuff on there, but it is really random and way too much overlap (3 versions of Fine Time, Regret, True Faith) while leaving off essential songs like "Love Vigilantes" and "Thieves Like Us". Fail.

And I got the limited edition one with a 5th disc of bonus rarities - I'd feel really ripped off with the standard 4 disc set!

17. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Agree with this. You should see this one

18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Good to know, I remember seeing it at my local when it was released (4 disc), but the price--> to what I already had didn't make sense, really have not given it much thought since

19. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

The Charlie Christian box..what were they thinking with it as unless you remember that it comes out from the bottom your discs are on the floor.

20. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Buffalo Springfield.

peachyg72 and kwadguy like this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't like the packaging for the Los Nuggetz box.. Instead of pockets for the discs or plastic holders there are foam circles that hold the discs in the inside covers of the book style box. They immediately came unglued and then I had to store the discs elsewhere as there is nothing to hold them in place.

However, the booklet and notes are cool and I like the music

Judge Judy likes this.
  22. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

God, I hope this guy NEVER heard "The Smile Sessions". The outtakes on there are absolutely maddening - and I'm very tolerant of that kind of thing.

Disc 2 alone proves why Brian drove people bonkers.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Blame Jeff. Either because he vetoed selections or because he wanted way too much money to allow certain things on (depending on who's talking), the box was neutered.

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Nothing can beat this. Repeated tracks, no booklet, typos of all kinds on the tracklist, bad sound quality. If you want to start getting into Piazzolla's music, avoid this like it was the plague.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The previously unreleased stuff is good, and some of it is great. At the time it was also nice to get stuff like Julie Don't Live Here Anymore on CD.

The biggest problem with the set, beyond the unnecessary reverb, is that they devoted much of first disc to the first two albums. Those albums are fine, and they should be represented, but they were over-represented because at the time they weren't otherwise available on CD in the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.