Would the real King of Rock 'N' Roll please stand up?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joseph, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member Thread Starter

With consideration given to

-performance
    -songwriting
    -playing
    -creativity
    -influence on other musicians

who would you consider to be the true King of Rock "N" Roll?

If you select "Other" your comments on who your "other" is would be appreciated.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Chuck Berry's name should be up there.

3. Joseph

Oops! You're right Grant he should be listed. Can't do it myself so I'll have to get the gorts to do it.

Thanks

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Chuck Berry if you want a complete package (although Buddy certainly could do it all, right down to production!)... Look at the 10 zillion covers of old Chuck's catalog, see how many tunes he wrote (although Johnnie Johnson might dispute that somewhat), and he could sling a pretty mean guitar - Elvis and Jerry Lee hardly wrote at all, Elvis strummed some rhythm but wasn't what I'd call a force on that instrument, and Jerry Lee sure could burn up the keys, but didn't venture into other realms. Little Richard quit too soon - he was still on fire when he gave it all up, and I think that holds him back. This is tough because if you look at someone doing every aspect of performing from start to finish, there aren't that many who fit that description. I vote we stick with pioneers in the 50's - sorry Fabber Fave Fans, we need an occasional break from those British Invaders!!! ;)

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

My "other" was for Chuck Berry as well.

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I have to go with Chuck Berry (other) also.

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I'd have to go with Chuck Berry. My second choice would be Ian Hunter.

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

As soon as the choice popped up, I said to myself, "Where's Chuck Berry?" And then I scrolled down and found out I was in good company!:agree:

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

To be fair, I would probably revise the "songwriting" criterion to "songs", or else a few of the artists won't stand a chance.

Regards,

10. Ralpho

Ralpho Senior Member

Another vote for Chuck Berry!!!

The REAL KING of Rock'n'Roll!!!

[​IMG]

11. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

The King has always been (and will continue to be) Elvis Presley. Mark me down for Elvis.

12. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

By the criteria listed, Chuck Berry wins hands down. However, I do not think this is indicative of the true importance of each artist. In order of overall ACTUAL importance:
    Elvis Presley
    Chuck Berry
    Buddy Holly
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Little Richard

I rank Jerry Lee ahead of Little Richard because even though Richard's initial contribution/impact outshadowed Lewis, I feel that the long-term contributions Lewis has made (I saw him perform on his 60th birthday and he was incredible) give him an edge.

13. RDK

RDK Active Member

I voted, too, for Chuck Berry ("other"). Elvis, of course, had the commercial weight and creative impact, but Chuck to me better represents everything that early rock n' roll was about. Personally, I prefer Buddy Holly over everyone else on the list, but Chuck was/is the King!

Ray

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Re: Re: Would the real King of Rock 'N' Roll please stand up?

The idea that Buddy produced his own recordings is a myth propagated by the entertaining-but-filled-with-inaccuracies film The Buddy Holly Story. Norman Petty produced/engineered Buddy Holly's records, and he is not mentioned once in the film.

In terms of production, I think Elvis had just as large a production role in his records as Buddy did. Chet Atkins would fall asleep at the board, and Elvis was often the de facto producer on his records.

15. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Chuck Berry more or less made a living off twenty variations of the same song. Little Richard was vastly superior on every level for my money. Now there was a rocker.
    I give Elvis the nod as king simply becasue he put rock and roll on the map. Rock and roll was living in obscurity in the juke joints ignored by most consumers for years before Elvis. If it weren't for Elvis we may have never heard Chuck Berry or Little Richard.

16. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

IMHO, Chuck Berry deserves a little more credit.

I agree

I agree with your general premise ... but FYI Chuck Berry's "Maybellene" entered the BB charts on 8/20/55, stayed there almost 3 months and peaked at #5 ... while Elvis' first chart song "Heartbreak Hotel" did not enter BB's charts until 3/3/56. :)

17. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Using your criteria (i.e., performance, songwriting, playing, creativity and influence on other musicians), there really is only one king: Jimi Hendrix!

Why? :confused:

Well, he was a complete package of talent...

1) Jimi's performances were legendary and groundbreaking; his showmanship astounding!

2) Hendrix wrote classics which have been covered by many artists (Little Wing, Angel, Voodoo Child, Purple Haze, etc.)

3) JH's vituoso guitar playing was second to none and demonstrated a mastery of the instrument that is phenomenol by any standards; it never became dated.

4) Hendrix's creativity was both spontaneous and awe inspiring; he could improvise on the spot, perform his own hits or play fiery versions of rock standards made famous by other well known musicians with styles as diverse as Chuck Berry and Cream.

5) He's probably single-handedly influenced more musicians than any other recording artist; some performers have even made careers out of playing Hendrix's songs and/or attempting to replicate certain aspects of his visceral sound (Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc.).

Now, if the object of this exercise was to select a 50's R&R artist as the official "king" I'd probably go with someone like Little Richard or Chuck Berry, but I tend to think of the word KING in the context of your poll as being the greatest rock performer of all time.

AuPh :)

18. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Yello, please change my other vote to Chuck Berry!!! As for Jimi Hendrix, I'll agree with your points BUT is what he's doing rock and roll (I'm defining this as singles oriented, couple minutes in and out like our poll members used to define the genre in the 50's)? I'd say nope - I guess I prefer my music fueled by booze, bop pills and fundamental religion. :laugh: I have problems with a lotta folks who are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and omissions like Gene Vincent, a real rocker if there ever was one... I guess we maybe ought to narrow our definition down and get really specific to keep some focus on the thread... Are we gonna go with the 50's trailblazers, or open it up for all comers???

19. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Elvis is still the King. He's had more number #1 hits (at least I think. How is his latest remix of "A Little Less Conversation" doing on the charts?), certainly more top 40 hits, and there's been more books written about him than any other single musical figure. His influence is second to none. Lennon said that without Elvis, there wouldn't be a Beatles, and without the Beatles, well, you get the picture...

I realize he didn't write his own material, but in his day that was much more common than it is post Beatles/Dylan. I realize Chuck Berry is about as good as rock and roll gets, but I can fit just about every great Chuck song on about two CD-Rs, with very little after about 1965. You can't even fit every Elvis top 40 hit on three CD-Rs, and that would leave out the Sun singles! I know what you're thinking: not every Elvis hit is good. That's true, but take it from a guy who has everything he released from the '50s through the '60s, there were plenty of great songs which weren't hits. For proof, just check out the underrated '60s box set. It's a classic. I used to think most of what he recorded in the '70s was crap. In the last few years even that stuff has begun to grow on me. Now about the only recordings of his that I think are pablum are the soundtracks, and even they have the occasional great cut.

20. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

move vote

Being as Chuck Berry was not an option when I voted could one of the Gort twins please move my vote from other to C.B.

Thanks,
    Mike

21. RDK

RDK Active Member

yes, my vote too: from "other" to "chuck"

22. Joseph

Sorry for accidentally leaving out Chuck Berry. This was my first poll and I screwed up!

Hope one of the gorts will change the votes for those who posted a request to do so.:help:

I think we should leave out later rock artists as the poll was for
    King of ROCK'N'ROLL. Perhaps we can do a series - Queen of R&R, King Of Rock, Queen of Rock...

Thanks everyone.

Bye the way, my vote was for Buddy. An amazing legacy of tremendous songs in such a short life. His later recordings such as "True Love Ways" were just a glimpse of what could have come. :angel:

23. Matt

Matt New Member

I would've voted for Chuck, but then again, I don't want to leave Killer stranded like that.

24. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Re: Re: Re: Would the real King of Rock 'N' Roll please stand up?

My bad - I was thinking about that monster truck box of Buddy that MCA put out in the lp era, and thought it mentioned Buddy wanting to take more control over things - I've never seen The Buddy Holly Story movie! I'll still stick with Chuck, Chuck Bo Buck...

25. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Hail, Hail, Rock And Roll

I voted for Chuck too!

Here's an amusing story on the Eric Carmen web site about the times that The Raspberries backed Chuck when he came to town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.