Would you buy an Oppo BDP-105 now (as opposed to another player)?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KeithH, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

To be clear, I am not asking whether or not it is wise to invest in a quality Blu-Ray player. Let's assume that I have already decided that it is. Given that, would you buy an Oppo BDP-105 now or would you go for something else? The BDP-105 has been out for quite awhile. It seems that the video section of these players is always upgraded from one generation to the next. While my interest in a quality Blu-Ray player would be for audio first, I wonder if the video section on the BDP-105 is still considered state of the art.

Does Oppo have a replacement for the BDP-105 on the horizon? Would a Marantz or Denon universal Blu-Ray player be a comparable or even better alternative?

Thoughts?

2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Absolutely.

beowulf, MikeJedi and therockman like this.
  3. The BDP-105's video section is state-of-the-art, and its video performance is among the top tier of all Blu-ray players. In fact, it might (still) be the top rated Blu-ray player in terms of its video performance according to the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity benchmarks. You can't go wrong with it.

Linger63, MikeJedi and HAmmer like this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Jim, you seem to be wavering. :D

Seriously, thanks. I still wonder if Oppo has plans to replace the '105 anytime soon.

beowulf likes this.
  5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I have the 105. It's great, but I rarely use it for blu-ray. I have an ISF calibrated Pioneer Kuro, and quite frankly, I cannot tell the picture quality difference between the 105 and the cheap Sony blu-ray player (BDP-S3100) that I picked up for $75 on Amazon or my Playstation 4. I have tried, and my eyes don't see any discernible differences. I'm really impressed with the blu-ray playback of cheap players like the Sony BDP-S3100. YMMV.

If you want an all in one, universal player, then the 105 makes sense. If you want a player for blu-ray movies and you already have a capable disc player, then just buy a cheap blu-ray player. They are wonderful.

SBurke, bluemooze, scobb and 3 others like this.
  6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I would, but my wife wouldn't.

4_everyman, ben_wood and erniebert like this.
  7. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------
    This is the problem with all audio and video as it is always superseded at some point, but never at the same price. I'm sure the new Oppo will be better, hard to believe how, but it will be, and most likely $100-$200 more. To think of all that the 105 does, it seems like a bargain for sure.

How ever long you wait you are missing out on weeks and months of enjoyment. I have never owned the best of anything so I don't worry about such things. I would think that anyone who is lucky enough to own an Oppo 105 is not worried about the next new thing from them. You can always sell and move up or put the 105 in a second system as a serious upgrade for that system.

If the 105 is in your budget you should go for it. I can't imagine you will be disappointed. I hope you have a good 1080p TV for your movie enjoyment.

Linger63 likes this.
  8. Agreed. The differences among Blu-ray players are far less pronounced than among DVD players. Even the cheapest Blu-ray players out there have fantastic picture quality.

ls35a and eelkiller like this.
  9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Agreed. I just bought a 105 but with the intent to use it only in my 2-channel music system. I use a Sony BDP-S790 in my video system since I wanted 3D and dual-out HDMI. If video is your main use I don't think you have to spend more than what the 790 goes for.

John K.

10. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Keith,

I am in the same boat. I bought an Oppo BDP-95 about 4 years ago and I have been very happy with it. I would like to upgrade too, but the 105 has been out for a couple of years now. However, I would imagine an upgrade is forthcoming soon. The issue is the 105 is stable and a mature product. If you wait for the upgrade there is always needed firmware upgrades to fix the bugs that were overlooked, so it may take about 6 months to firm things up. If you are in no rush, you could wait out a new version. If not, go for the 105, I am sure you will be very pleased with it.

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I agree. And as for blu-ray audio? I, for one, don't get it. Why do we need yet another hi-res format? And besides, are the top mastering engineers going to bail on SACD for blu-ray when the highest end blu-ray player is the 105? If blu-ray audio ever displaced SACD as the primary physical hi-res format, then I'd expect dCS and Playback Designs, etc to develop great options.

12. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Sam might be able to provide some insight on the retirement of the 105, but I haven't heard any rumors to that affect. The 105 is great, and can modified to compete with players at much, much higher price point.

Linger63 likes this.
  13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Are you sure? I thought it was announced in the fall of 2012 and released in December 12/January 13.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  14. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

15. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

The Neil Young Archives Vol 1 and Pink Floyd Immersion boxsets alone makes blu-ray audio worth it. Plus, there are some really great blu-ray audio concerts available as well.

16. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I just bought a 103 (not the newer "D" but the regular model). On video I prefer the previous BDP83 or the Denon 4010 for DVD upscaling. For audio I prefer the Denon 4010. People say bluray is no difference, and it is closer. That's not to take anything away from the 103 which I am satisfied with.

17. I have a BDP-103 that is mainly for audio use, connected to my headphone amp. Picture and sound quality are excellent.
    What I want to know is what makes the BDP-105 worth $600 more than the 103?

18. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

The analog output section for high-end quality audio output. The DACs, the power supply, etc. are all different, and specifically designed for high-end audio output.

rbp, Mark E. Moon and jh901 like this.
  19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Here's Oppo's response.

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=37

20. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Better power transformer and parts quality in certain areas and a more robust build quality. Some feel the greater difference between the 103 and the 105 is on audio performance.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The same things, to a lesser degree, that separate the 103 from a $5, 10 or 20 grand CD/Sacd player.

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just did 2 weeks ago. I'm quite happy so far. :)

sushimaster likes this.
  23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I agree.

24. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

almost did but found a new Sony SCD XA5400 ES for $1k so went for that instead. I mostly use it for SACDs 2 CH and the odd CD and really did not need its excellent video. I rip my CDs. I have a cheaper Oppo & Panasonic for DVD/DVD-A and a budget Sony for Blu-ray and I find them more than adequate.

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I wonder how this Sony and the 105 would compare for redbook and SACD? I suppose the argument could be made that if the OP had to have SACD that there aren't many SACD players between $1,000 and 2,000. Or are there? Anyhow, if the 105 and the Sony were neck and neck on redbook and SACD sound quality, then all of the Universal extras would push the 105 ahead.

My view on the following is likely in the minority, but here it goes. If I had a huge redbook and SACD collection and I enjoyed audiophile quality sound, then I'd want to make my way up the CD/SACD player food chain as far as my other system components (and budget!) would justify. Any upgrade to the front end would enhance the experience of hearing 2,000 or 3,000 (or more?) CDs and SACDs. Assuming limited resources, then spending over $1,000 to hear a dozen or so blu-ray audio discs just wouldn't make sense.

Specifically, I'd recommend trying to borrow an Ayre SACD player just to hear how redbook and SACD will sound. The experience may very well be revelatory.

Jerry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.