WTF, "Austin City Limits" not available as a "Download" or "DVD" in 2015?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris C, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

So, if I might ask a really stupid question, but how is it in 2015, that entire past episodes of "Austin City Limits", are not available to own as a download or DVD? What are they thinking??? I mean, how can this show truly profit from a basic one to four time showing, exclusively on PBS and then basically left to be forgotten for any future generations, or us right now, to ever view again? It truly makes no sense to me why this show exists, if this is their way of thinking of how to "market" it, in our world of "On Demand" way of buying things?

My brother keeps asking me to buy him a copy of the recent 2015 episode of "Austin City Limits" (Show #4010), that featured the band "Future Islands", along with one of the worlds (not mine), latest sensations, Sam Smith. Not only can't I find ANY solution to buying this program for my brother, who actually wants to legally pay hard earned cash for, but I can't even find a link of the full episode on U-Tube, just to allow him to watch it on his computer, whenever he chooses. My brother rarely ever asks anything from me and I'm truly ticked that I can't come through with this simple request for him, all because "Austin City Limits" seems to be stuck in 1955, with their marketing skills.

2. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Hmmm, they could have made a boatload of money in the physical media glory days and even done a mail order service. I wonder if they're some nefarious legal issues at work behind the scenes...

3. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

You're expecting a recent episode to be available for purchase immediately? Talk about unrealistic expectations. Why didn't you DVR it? Or see if it's being replayed or on demand and then record it. I see plenty of previous episodes available on DVD. Be patient.

4. woody

woody Forum Resident

Some ACL shows are streamable on PBS.org or their Roku/Apple tv apps.

5. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

One of things that might be taken into consideration is that this is a PBS show, and they cannot make a profit. My guess all the artists who perform on this show do it to raise funds for PBS, they probably have specific contracts to the broadcast and distribution of the performances. It might be limited as not to impact sales of non-PBS performances of these artists, etc.

7. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I know this is not exactly what you want, but if there's one I want to keep then I record it on my Tivo and rip it to my hard drive. The PBS station signal is not copy protected.

8. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

REM put out one of their ACL gigs on dvd.

9. Chris C

My brother sadly requested the Future Islands/Sam Smith program a week before it expired from their website and I have no way of saving something off the web, that is visual. I guess that is why I brought up this thread, because I'm kind of surprised that these shows aren't readily available, immediately after their run on PBS is over? I mean, nearly every other show or concert that is shown on PBS, is often available to buy as a donation gift. I'm pretty sure that my brother would gladly donate $50 or a $100 dollars for a copy of that one show, but he can't even get it that way, which is plain stupid, in my opinion!

10. Chris C

Well, umm, YEAH I do, because 95% of every other show on TV is usually available to buy or at least "watch", after it has had it's first airing.

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Not everything in the ether is available on demand or for purchase. Sometimes stuff just is, and if you miss it, well, so be it. I personally would love to buy all of spoons takings in a nice set or iris dements set that blew me away 15 years ago.

12. Some have been as I recall Richard Thompson's was released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.