Wynton Marsalis, I love his playing, watch this clip..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Watch the intro. When Wynton comes in, wow, what a tone, what a solo. I don't think anyone can play in the old style like he can. They are playing a Louis Hot Five tune that I know well but with a lighter touch. Interesting to watch them play... I know, old school stuff, but it's great to hear the old style coming off of something other than my 90 year old record.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

3. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

That was awesome, thanks for sharing.
    Wynton is a national treasure!!!
    His two recent albums with Marcus Roberts are great.

4. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

WOW. Just love the expressions on the musician's faces--they are rapt. Wish people would note that and forgo the tired histrionics you see with so many bands.

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I saw Wynton and his band several times in the late '80s. I enjoyed the shows very much. But I was bugged by his inclusion of his own compositions on the Standard Time releases. I mean, speak for yourself, and you do it very well. But don't proclaim your own compositions to be standards; let the public decide that. Perhaps a minor quibble in most eyes here, but that bugs me to the point of preferring Branford and Delfeayo.

MikaelaArsenault and ParloFax like this.
  6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I was lucky enough to see Wynton with Marcus Roberts, Christian Mcbride, Branford (and Terry Blanchard)at the New School in 1989/90.

Oh, and Love This.

Thanks.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

Thanks Steve for posting some Wynton, Im a huge fan of jazz and I've seen him play 50 or so gigs over the years. He and his band are amazing musicians as they can pull off anything. The Chucho Valdez gig I saw at LC three years ago was life affirming. My favorite gigs were in the early 80's when he played Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth and in Austin when the band did Blood on The Fields with Jon Hendricks. The best thing about Wynton is that he is keeping the music alive. I've seen him countless times mentor and help young players at gigs and to me thats something else.
    If you like Wynton Marsalis check out the schedule of live streaming out of Lincoln Jazz Center

MikaelaArsenault and saturdayboy like this.
  8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

9. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Who do you want to watch this clip? Who is playing what? Are you talking to Wynton? Is he on this board? I’m confused.

Can a Gort please fix the post title?

10. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

There has not been a more eloquent ambassador for jazz (and classical, for that matter) than Wynton Marsalis. The mystery of musical genius is an enigma that reveals itself in myriad ways. How can a guy who can play like Louis Armstrong also do this:

11. moops

moops Senior Member

If you have a spare hour, this is a great little window into what makes him tick.

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

All my wife and I need, is :30 seconds of Wynton, every Sunday morning and we're good ...

13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I saw Wynton live in 2007 with the Lincoln Center Orchestra. There are so many shows where I barely remember what happened, but ten years after I can close my eyes and see Wynton playing.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Hoping he'll come back to the area again. Love it how he joins the orchestra after he introduces the songs instead of putting himself out front.

15. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

If you take a trip down to NOLA, on any given night you can listen to a half dozen bands, usually made up of millennials, playing this music in a fun setting at a very high level. Now Wynton and his band are at another level but still. The music is alive and well! Such joyful music!

16. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Wynton and the Lincoln Jazz Orchestra are the best live music experience playing today. I have seen many performances but his holiday shows and when they performed Ellington's Jazz Party stand out. That whole band is great, some great sax players. Walter etc.....

MikaelaArsenault and Sneaky Pete like this.
  17. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Three American Treasures! .. Great posts Steve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I agree with what Branford said. "Wynton is good for Jazz, period." He gets an equal amount of good and bad press, but I think carrying on the tradition is important. That said, he needs to stick to what he knows and leave the modern stuff to the more adventurous guys. They are just as important to Jazz.

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Great stuff.

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Nothing wrong with old school stuff. Sadly, a lot of people skip it. Jazz is a broad church.

21. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

Back in the early 80s when I was an aspiring trumpet player I almost quit when Wynton won Grammies for jazz and classical performances in the same year. I don't know how often that's been done. Maybe only once. Add that to his compositional skills and ability as a leader and teacher and he's the complete package. I don't care for some of his socio/political yammering, but IMO it takes nothing away from his music.

22. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

This is awesome. Too bad he doesn't record much anymore aside from lincoln Center.

Why Columbia dropped him I'll never know.

23. William Bryant

I forgot to mention that I have Wynton's autograph framed on the wall of my office.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Trumpet is my main instrument. I graduated with a Music degree in 1980. Even with my healthy ego, after hearing Wynton play, I wanted to sell my trumpet. I had heard a LOT of great players, but none of 'em ever effected me quite like Wynton. I knew no matter how much work I put in, I would never be able to match what I had just heard. Amazing player.

25. William Bryant

You stole every single word there from me! Even the date!

MikaelaArsenault and JamesD1957 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.