Wynton Marsalis, I love his playing, watch this clip..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

Thank you for posting this. Incredible. I have been on a huge Louis kick as of late, and am counting down till tomorrow when Analogue Productions releases the new vinyl remaster of Satchmo Plays King Oliver.

2. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Fantastic video, it took plenty of thought to have it beat:

3. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Superlatives can get corny but this is one man who is truly a national treasure. He's been a teacher, scholar, musician and ambassador for jazz for decades - in the trenches of inner city and suburban high schools across the country, not just clubs, concert halls or the mount at Lincoln Center. Classy dude. Here's a very interesting jazz discussion and demonstration he (and Jon Batiste) had with Walter Isaacson at Aspen a few years back.

frankfan1 likes this.
  4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

He's not merely playing a solo; he wrestles these choruses to the ground! Lovely to see the trumpet player next to him, enjoying the fact he sits front row!

5. mtatmba

mtatmba Forum Resident

Agreed, going to see Wynton Marsalis & Company on December 16 for the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra annual holiday experience.

JAG likes this.
  6. no time

no time Forum Resident

Not the greatest jazz trumpet player but "Crescent City Christmas Card" is one of the most beautiful Christmas albums ever

frankfan1 likes this.
  7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ahhhhhh.......

The Majesty of the Wynton!

8. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Thank you for sharing. A nice treat!

I had the pleasure of seeing one of his Village Vanguard gigs around the time his Wynton Marsalis Septet Live at the Village Vanguard box set was released and it absolutely turned around what I thought about his playing. The box is compiled around seven discs that each make up a day of the week in theme and tone from a few years of shows. It’s a gem of a release to hear them playing these club dates in “the worlds most famous basement”.

That video made me reach for “Sunday” ;-).

9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

on my first trip to jazz fest in new Orleans I saw a night show with miles davis and Wynton. really good show. the next afternoon at the fairgrounds, delfayo Marsalis was doing his set with dad ellis on piano. during the set Wynton came up unannounced just in a t-shirt and jeans. later on the youngest brother Jason came up on drums. it was a real family affair and it was great seeing Wynton in such a casual setting. that was 1985.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  10. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Incredible playing from Wynton and a killer vocal performance from the Trombone player too!

11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

It is pretty funny that Wynton went from being this lightning rod of controversy in the '80s -- by essentially combining '60s postbop harmony with '70s fusion rhythms) -- and now he spends a ton of his time leading what amounts to a really good Dixieland group, as if he was Woody Allen or Acker Bilk.

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

The sound and acoustics are superb there too. Definitly one of the best places to catch live Jazz in NY, especially large ensembles.

Wynton’s playing can sometimes be a little cold and academic, but that was great! Red hot, inventive and lively he obviously loves that music. He played it with great verve and joy that came through in his performance.

Thanks for posting that Steve. If you haven’t been yet, you have to catch a Jazz at Lincoln Center show next time you’re in NY

13. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Nice rendition! Not quite as tight or structured as the original, but nice!

14. highway

highway Forum Resident

Threads like this are why I come to this forum Saturday morning with a cup of coffee. I especially like the anecdote about first formal lesson from 5:30 to 7:30.

moops likes this.
  15. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

back in the 80's I saw Di Meola-De Lucia-McLaughlin on tour (Steve Morse opened). At some point during the main set one of them asked the audience "how many of you are guitar players?"

the answer from someone near us, "NOT ANY MORE"

Yovra and Steve Hoffman like this.
  16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Been into Wynton since the 1st time I saw him, he was playing with Art Blakey's Messengers at the Village Gate. At the time nobody knew who he was, but he tore the roof off the joint! Tellyawhat, Wynton & Branford get the lions share of the attention but brother Delfeayo is another Marsalis to be reckoned with. Strongly recommend his record; Sweet Thunder!

JAG and DR.J like this.
  17. Celticray

Celticray Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.