Xanadu soundtrack on CD (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

That's not the story the rest of this (these) thread(s) tell(s). I was led to believe that the opinion held that the Japanese disc was absolute gold, while the Aussie disc was a close to trash. The US and UK discs occupied the middle rungs, with the UK better than the US.

But of course it's all subjective.

Harry

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Which version of the Australian CD do you have? Mines the Redhot issue and it's awful. No comparison to the other ones. One poster said there was a later Australian issue that was much improved.

3. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Your memory is correct. I never heard either Aust. CD, but the Japan CD appears to be the best one. Also, I recently "discovered" the best sounding version of the song Magic on CD, IMO of course...it's on the Australian ONJ GOLD CD (2005)...this was an Aust-only release, originally on Festival Records, but now on Warner Music Australia.

It's similar to the version on the U.K. XANADU CD, but it's even better...it's totally clean, no extreme brightness, no sugary mastering and it has incredible isolated bass - it's worth owning this CD just for that song, but all of the tracks are incredibly dynamic-sounding actually.

4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

These are the two I have. There is no indication apart from the back case artwork to say the right one is Australian.
    To me they sound alike. Not much of a difference in sound.
    Obviously the Australian one has Olivia's songs first, and the Japanese disc has ELO's first.

xanadu.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Pizza likes this.
  5. Pizza

[​IMG]

The Australia CD I have is the one pictured above and it does say "Made in Australia" on the CD label. I believe it was the first release there and it really does sound awful. The Japan release is easily better than that one. But like I said, someone posted in the past that later issues in Australia were improved in sound quality. (They certainly couldn't have gotten worse!:)) So if those later issues sound on par with the Japanese CD then you're doing okay. The UK has a few fans too because is has been fussed with a bit and has more punch where as the Japan one is flat and probably closer to what's on the master tape. I prefer my vinyl rips and I'm not a vinyl guy. The US vinyl has a warmer sound to Olivia's vocals and the ELO side really kicks on the UK and Japan vinyl but not so much on the US.
    I also recall someone else saying their Australia CD didn't say "Australia" anywhere on the CD label either, just like yours.
    There's a lot of discussion on this in part one of this thread:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/xanadu-soundtrack-on-cd.322087/

carrolls likes this.
  6. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I really think my two are the same or similar masterings. Actually going by the matrix design, it looks like they came from the same pressing plant.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Pizza likes this.
  7. Pizza

Now I'm tempted to search out a later Aussie CD release to check out the difference from the Redhot.

8. Futurecity

I think you should...:) If you can confirm it's on par with the Japan CD or feel that it is even better, I'll track it down also.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I have the one on the left. Not as bright as the 1998 remaster.

10. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

You are probably right. I haven't got the 1998 re-master.

11. Bobby Morrow

It's not awful, but isn't as easy on the ear as the Japanese edition.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  12. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

I have the old Japanese edition also...I still say it could use an updated remastering...and hopefully soon.

13. Bobby Morrow

Well there's always room for improvement! We've been waiting years for some sort of deluxe edition of Xanadu. No one's breaking their neck to put it into action, sadly..

14. Futurecity

Bobby, I got an amazon.uk update today stating that EARLY OLIVIA was reissued on 8/20/14, as a priced-down reissue for a limited time only (available until 11/18), but the amazon price seems high? Not even sure who the record label is this time? Anyway, here is the description and info...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KN2QJKK/ref=pe_172801_53333701_nrn_title

And yes, I won't be picking it up, for reasons which you already know...:)

15. Bobby Morrow

It's a Japanese release. That's why it's so expensive.

16. Futurecity

Interesting, that "Early Olivia" comp would see a re-release today, but in Japan, they sometimes reissue old CDs all the time.

17. Bobby Morrow

They've certainly released this more than once. In the early days of CD, they concentrated on the years 1971-76. These were the years she did best there. Come On Over was one of her biggest selling albums in Japan.

18. Futurecity

What we need are remastered reissues of her Japanese PM's and TB CDs...

19. Bobby Morrow

They don't seem to have done much with Olivia's back catalogue since the release of the box set in 2010.

20. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have the US version and it sounds fine to me - I guess my ears aren't what they used to be if this thread is anything to go by :)

21. Bobby Morrow

It's very much a case of each to his own. Some people like brighter sounding CDs. I've got a fair few myself and I've never been offended by them. The Japanese CD of Xanadu is more mellow and typical of early CD mastering than the other versions.

22. Futurecity

Maybe I should stop by the Flamingo soon and ask Olivia myself to help get us a new XANADU Deluxe Edition...with warm and dynamic audio, that is!

23. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I think you may be right as far as my ears are concerned - many of my early CDs sound a little too flat and 'lifeless' for me. While I don't like the range of sound to be too compressed I do like them a little on the 'bright' side. Part of it may be my system and room acoustics as well. Anyway, it's good there are a few choices with this album which I love - it made me go and buy the movie on DVD - which was corny but enjoyable - I love seeing Gene Kelly at work.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Pizza

Then you'll probably love the UK issue.

TonyACT likes this.
  25. Futurecity

Yes, Pizza is quite correct...if you like "bright"....and I mean 'BRIGHT"....the U.K. CD is for you!

TonyACT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.