Xanadu soundtrack on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Will do. It should come in a couple of days, but I will be out of town on business next week, so it could be awhile before I get to listen to it.

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Yeah, that one.

3. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

4. KeithH

I received the Japanese CSCS disc yesterday. It is my first version of the soundtrack. It sounds good, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I'm pretty sure I have some of these tracks on Olivia Newton-John and ELO compilations, but I did not do any comparisons. So far, I've listened to the Japanese disc twice. It is not in any way harsh, but it sounds a bit two-dimensional and flat.

To those who said that the Japanese disc is pricey, it definitely will run you more than the U.S. and U.K. discs. I paid about $30 for a mint Japanese disc with the obi strip shipped from Japan. That's not too bad, all things considered.

Just for fun, I picked up the U.S. CD (MCAD-11857) for $5 from Barnes & Noble today. I'll give it a listen later today. (My business trip was delayed.)

5. KeithH

I listened to the U.S. disc in the car this evening. Playing "Magic" loud, I could hear harshness in Newton-John's vocals. I'll need to listen to the disc on one of the home systems, but I am not encouraged by what I heard in the car.

6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I felt the same on first play. I had expected to be blown away by the Japanese CD and wasn't but I think that was due to unrealistic expectations. I warmed up to it pretty fast though and I'm happy with it. it is certainly better than the Australia one, which is awful, and the US one. The UK Sony appears to have more oomph but perhaps at the cost of some compression.

7. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Your comparison was for the Japanese disc versus the UK disc.
    Slightly different comparison, but IMO the UK is clearly superior to the US disc.

On "Magic", the UK is less bright, on "I'm Alive" it is not as dull. In both cases, the UK exhibits less compression than its US counterpart.

US on top, UK on bottom
    magic.jpg

alive.jpg

JP Christian likes this.
  8. Pizza

I totally agree. UK easily beats the US release. Take a look at post #16. I got screen shots of the sound waves for "Magic" from the Australia, Japan, US and UK CD releases. If I get around to doing a needle drop of my vinyl album I'll post that for additional comparison

9. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I've just received a UK copy off eBay (for 99p!), it's from 1998 - it sounds great, my UK LP actually sounds a little muddier in the mid-range than this CD - the LP has an overall more natural sound to it but it's different, not better - it seems they did a nice job on this 1998 release - I guess the loudness wars hadn't completely taken hold yet - here is an attachment of the wav of magic: ONJ Magic UK 1998.jpg

10. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I meant to say picture! o_O

11. Pizza

Thanks for sharing! Do you have a picture of the CD art?

12. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Yes, that link is the UK edition. That's the version I have, which states 1998 on the CD. When I clicked on your link, Amazon UK said I've purchased that item before.

The 1998 version on Amazon UK is actually listed as an import by MCA.

13. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Well, just to re-clarify again, are you saying that the SONY 2003 CD is the ONLY remastered version of XANADU on CD and the one you have? I only ask again because you also stated that your CD says 1998 on the disc or back insert, but it doesn't say 2003 anywhere on the disc or packaging?

Also, I had thought that the Japanese CD was the only one released by Sony...all the rest released by MCA, but is this 2003 version a Sony CD also, and does track 1 start off with the ELO side or the ONJ side? The Japanese CBS/Jet CD starts off with ELO first.

14. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I just saw this thread today. I have the Jet Records Australia CD 465054 2 however it does not look like the photo Pizza uploaded on page 1. I am wondering if this Jet CD was pressed in the US and in Australia, because my CD itself does not say "Made in Australia" although the white insert inside says 1989 CBS Records Australia Limited. I was going to run it through Audacity to see if the sound waves look about the same as what Pizza showed. It is a lot lower levels than the US MCA that's for sure.

I also have the US MCAD-11857 that is really highly compressed, I've probably just got use to it over the years but it's pretty loud.
    I also have the Bonus Music Disc from the DVD collection Magical Music Edition and that is the same US MCAD 11857 audio disc, it's the same loudness.

Now I'm not sure which to seek out the Japan version or the UK, I'll probably get both eventually.

15. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

It looks like my Jet CD is probably the same as Pizza's. Just my disc doesn't say made in australia and the artwork is different on CD and my front cover doesn't say redhot but it must be from the same mastering. Here is a sound wave capture from my Jet CD 465054 2.

Magic Jet CD 465054 2.jpg

16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I have the original Japanese CD from 1990 And the UK remaster which I bought in 1998. The UK one is noticeably louder, but to be honest, both sound pretty good to me.

However, this album REALLY needs the deluxe treatment. I can't believe it's not been given a Japanese MLPS pressing at least!

It's pretty much the perfect album for me. I know people who don't especially like ONJ or ELO and they think it's good so it must have something going for it!

17. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

For reference, here is my Xanadu Jet CD with no mention (on the disc) of it being made in Australia.

Xanadu Jet CD.jpg

18. Futurecity

Can you please clarify which U.K. XANADU CD is the "remastered" one - is it the 1998 or 2003 CD? I think amazon.uk lists a '98 and an '03 CD, so I'm wondering what the '03 CD is? It would be easy to make a mistake and order one that isn't remastered, so I just want to make sure?

Also, you mentioned the U.K. CD seems to be noticeably louder than the Japanese CD, but is there a clear winner between the two of them, or do both have unique merits? I only have the Japanese CBS/Jet CD so I haven't heard the U.K. remaster yet, but if it is louder, but also as "clear sounding" as the Japanese CD, I might pick it up. I personally think the Japanese CD is very warm and sounds pretty sharp, plus it was mastered at a very low volume, which means that you can turn it up louder, but it still retains it's warmth and dynamics. Does the U.K. remaster sound similar or less dynamic and more compressed?

19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Firstly, I'm assuming the 2003 one you saw listed is the same as the 1998 copy I bought. I got it shortly after it came out and the catalogue number is 486620 2.

As for the Japanese issue, well it's a lot quieter and not as defined to my ears. I got the remaster because of a good review in the Only Olivia fanzine which stated the improved sound over the Jpn version.

Back then no one talked about compression and brick walling... And to be honest, I'm not sure if the 1998 copy is compressed or not but it is the version that I prefer to hear now. I don't think I've listened to the Jpn copy since I bought the remaster.

If I'm frank, you're better off speaking to someone who understands the compression thing better than me, but if you're happy with your Jpn copy, you will find the remaster sounds quite different to it.

That said, the UK version is pretty cheap now, so get it anyway, maybe? It's Olivia after all!

20. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I can surely understand the frustration in Futurecity wanting to get the best sound possible, it's nice that people who have bought it helps in our decisions. :)

I went back and re-visited my Aus Jet disc and compared to the US MCA disc...there both on opposite ends of the spectrum, one is too loud and the other is too low & muddy at times, no clarity. Looking back on the 1st page at the sound level samples of each disc, I'm not sure I will hear much difference with the Japan disc, the levels of the UK disc seem about right and with others saying it's best, I will seek that out first.

21. Pizza

That's interessting. The number is right, 4650542. Mine has Australia all over the place! It's on the CD itself, "Made in Australia by Disctronics Limited. It's on the back of the cover/card, "copyright 1989 CBS Records Australia Limited." Now mine is part of the "redhot" line and even has a red tray. So, yours either predates the release I have or came after it. I will say I barely listened to this version. It sounds awful. And, as loud as the American version one was, for some reason it sounded great in comparison.

I don't know if folks knew this but Suspended in Time was released as a single in Japan. I always loved that song and it was a thrill to finally hear Olivia sing it live last year!

22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

She performed that on "The Midnight Special" I think she was in a pink outfit and even shed a tear towards the end of the performance, with her hair blowing with a fan...wow, beautiful!!!! She also looked hot in Magic from the same tv special. I think she did that song twice, once in a black shorts and one in white shorts. :agree:

23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Lovely Livvy
    She really gets into this performance toward the end..emotional.

Pizza likes this.
  24. Futurecity

I already own the Japanese CD and I am quite happy with it, so no frustration there! :) What I am now trying to find out (and yes, I need people on this thread to help confirm it), is which CD on amazon's site is the 1998 remastered version? The only 1998 CD listed appears to be the U.S. version...they are no longer listing any other "1998" CD, but there is a 2003 and 2009 version listed. I think the 2007 one is the Japan CD.

Anyway, here is a U.K. import CD listed on amazon.com, as Sony, UK/Zoom (2009)...is it the '98 CD or a reissue of the '98 CD?

http://www.amazon.com/Xanadu-OST-Va...ie=UTF8&qid=1374945647&sr=1-3&keywords=xanadu

When you go directly to amazon.uk, they list a 2003 CD. Is this the '98 CD or a reissue of the '98 CD?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xanadu-Orig...ie=UTF8&qid=1374946183&sr=1-1&keywords=xanadu

They only other CDs amazon.uk is listing appear to be the '98 U.S. version (as an import) and the '89 Aust. version (as an import).

So Song4U and anyone else...what's the deal today with getting the correct remastered U.K. CD?

25. Futurecity

It doesn't sound like a live performance, it sounds like she is miming the words...is that the case here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.