Yamaha A-S3000 arrived...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

:drool:

2. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

As1100 owner here. Absolutely love it.

3. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I had the A2000 for a while great amp for the money.

4. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Found a retailer in the UK selling new AS1100's for less than £1k so I'm tempted to go for it :)

Black or silver?! What a dilemma. On its own, I prefer the silver...but in the context of the rest of my system (tiger ebony Harbeths on order :)) then I guess black would be the sensible choice, and more discrete.

What's the silver like in the flesh? Does it look luxurious, or much like the finish on any £100 silver amplifier?

Robert C likes this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Some have claimed the 2100 sounds more powerful than the 3000. All have feet with adjustable height.

6. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Who?

7. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

The AS-1100 has adjustable feet?? Dang it I didn't know that, i think i tried once to 'unscrew' them little for adjustment on my shelf, but didn't want to try to hard so gave up. I thought just the 2100/3000 had them, along with the reversible pads for spike/pad contact points.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

That's a steal. I have the black, but I'd probably go Silver in retrospect.

I thought I got them to adjust back when I bought the amp last year, but maybe I'm just daytrippin. I'll have to check it out today to be 100%

basie-fan likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

The 1100's feet are adjustable indeed. It just takes a bit of force to get them moving.

ThorensSme likes this.
  10. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Nice thanks for checking

11. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Is there any particular reason for that, or just personal preference?

I'm leaning toward black because it will be sat adjacent to my TV, and I think the slver could be distracting to the eye...

12. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

I have the black but it sits on the bottom shelf not real visible in my room. I have to say that I sometimes wish I had gotten the silver but I’m sure I would be wondering about the black had I bought the silver.

timind likes this.
  13. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

The finish on the Yamaha amps along with the build is very good....

Minty_fresh likes this.
  14. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

silver is mega sharp !! congrats.
    meters..............meters...............drooling...

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

I bought the black to match my rack and CD player, but I think the silver has a more "high end" look, more like the classic Yamaha amps. The black makes an exhibition of any finger prints or oils, so you just have to be careful to only touch the knobs.

16. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

For either colour, is the metalwork, including the top panel, painted or is the metal itself black and silver?

I'm conscious that because it will sit on a top shelf with nothing above it, the top panel will be very much on show. (Far too often, even on expensive equipment, the top panel is just a sheet of sharp edged, flimsy, rattly painted metal.)

17. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Sorry...another question.

I use a Logitech Harmony to control my system. I've downloaded the configuration for this amp from the Logitech database but I'm disappointed to see there are no 'discrete' power codes for the amp, only a power toggle. This could be a deal breaker for me!

Has anyone found any codes that work?

18. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Sorry to dig up this old post, but were you by any chance referring to Maria Joao Pires' recording of the Nocturnes on DGG? Her playing is outstanding, but the sound is very much lacking to my taste. In fact I could not believe my ears when I first heard that CD. Distant, cold, aggressive and far too reverberant-sounding. If this is indeed the recording you were referring to, you need not have feared that your amp is to blame.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Daedalus likes this.
  19. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

As long as we are digging up old bones, I still have my As-2100 after 18 months. No issues.
    I did put a little UPS in front.

The AS-2100 and cd-s2100 plus the matching tuner along w/ ATC SCM 19v2 and Harbeth p3esr speakers
    are my setup if I have to downsize...

I am getting the itch to try some floorstanders. Anyone give the NS-F901s a shot?

Thouston and ThorensSme like this.
  20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Bingo. Absolutely.

jusbe and G B Kuipers like this.
  21. Daedalus

I have not heard the 2100, but my 3000 will blow the walls down(cleanly). My Lascalas are very happy to comply.

Helom and ThorensSme like this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Damn that is a lot of fire power for a speaker that is 105db efficient. I bet you barely have to turn the volume knob from 0.

Daedalus likes this.
  23. Daedalus

Those Lascalas don’t NEED much power , but they also don’t Mind a LOT of power. High clean volume.

24. Daedalus

PS: Wall of Sound, anyone.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I've not had lascallas but my Cornwalls didn't respond well to 200WPC. The bass was bloated, the the highs were shrill and the mids obscured. But, again, those are very different speakers and a completely different amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.