Yamaha A-S801 Subwoofer Connection Confusion

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by johnny q, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident Thread Starter

Folks - I am getting myself all confused with connecting a sub to this amplifier. The amp is the Yamaha A-S801 integrated 2 channel amp and the sub is a Focal Sub 300P. My loudspeakers are Focal 826V floorstanders. This is a 2.1 system - I only listen to music.

The subs manual shows 3 connection methods:

1) Line Inputs LFE: My Yamaha amp has a a subwoofer out, so I thought this was the obvious and cleanest way to go. However, as I understand it, the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) is actually a dedicated channel of a 5.1 program and I am listening solely to music - so would the sub serve any purpose at all? Furthermore, the Sub's manual says that when connecting via the LFE, the crossover control is deactivated. Furthermore, the amps manual says its subwoofer out jack attenuates signals over 90hz. I'm thinking from a bass management standpoint, this sucks! Someone please reality check me on all this.

2) High Level Inputs: Basically connect speaker wire from the taps of the amp, to the the high level inputs of the subwoofer and then run speaker cable from the subs high level outputs to the 2 loudspeakers. This is the connection method you find when you Google "how to connect a sub to an old school receiver."

3) Amp preamp out to subs L/R Line inputs: Not an option, no preamp out on amp

So - -which method do I choose???? Seems to me the connection method that offers the best control is method #2, but I am concerned the additional speaker wire and the sub between the amp and the loudspeakers will create a loss in fidelity - should I worry?

Appreciate your help with this.

JQ

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yamahas upper tier amps are not designed to work with speaker level hookups, but I'm not sure about the 801. It doesn't say otherwise in the manual, so I imagine it's safe. This would be the best option in theory.

If you want higher than 90Hz output from the sub, then yeah, it sucks, but it seems most crossover their subs around 80Hz, above which bass is less omnidirectional.

You can use a y splitter to connect the amp's sub out to the L/R inputs on the sub, or try it with just the LFE input. Both should work. I tried both with my A-S500 and Paradigm sub and IIRC, I couldn't tell a difference.

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

You're totally better off just buying another set of cable speakers and going HL.

johnny q likes this.
  4. johnny q

That’s what I am thinking. However- do I run the risk of a loss in fidelity with a sub connected between my amp and loudspeakers???

5. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

If you are not biwiring, use the second set of speaker terminals on the 801 to wire up the sub using HL inputs. Since this is music first, dont run your speakers through the sub crossover, leave them full range. Bring the sub in at a low frequency, 40 or 50 hz and and slowly bring up the level until you can feel, but not hear the sub as a source. Then slightly back it back down. You may have to play with a phase switch if your sub has one. Just use the setting with the most output if you can tell a difference.

6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm using the RCA out from my Yamaha to my powered Sub.

pdenny likes this.
  7. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I'm doing the same with my Yamaha AS-501. I use a high quality RCA cable that's not too long and it seems to work very well but this is my first experience with a subwoofer (and it's not a very expensive one) and I am aware there are other issues for other users.

8. johnny q

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

In regards to the Yamaha's sub out and the subs LFE input:

Regarding what I posted about Sub Out/LFE in the OP - can someone school me on this? Specifically - is my assumption correct, that LFE being a dedicated 5.1 channel, means I will not get any action from my sub when playing music? If so - the question ends there. If that is not the case - what does the deactivation of the subs crossover (when using LFE in) and a forced attenuation of signals over 90hz (enforced by the amp) mean for me in real world listening?

JQ

9. johnny q

RCA Out, meaning the outputs labeled "REC" correct?

Ok - so using this method, I assume that too renders the crossover control on the SUB null/void leaving just the subs Volume control active??

EDIT: Actually, the Focal Sub manual says nothing about the crossover being deactivated when connecting via RCA Line In. It only mentions crossover being inactive when using LFE.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I have an AS-501, use the sub out and get gobs of bass from my powered Monoprice sub.

11. johnny q

That's sub out from the amp, LFE input on sub? And - you are getting gobs of bass when playing music, correct?

12. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

The output of the Yamaha integrated is a sub out, not LFE out, correct?

If using a sub/LFE output on a surround sound receiver didn't work for both movies and 2 channel music, that would be a real mess. On my surround sound receiver, I get low bass from the sub from all sources, including 2 channel music sources. The 2 channel integrated HAS to do the same, doesn't it?

johnny q likes this.
  13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Volume a tick less than halfway, crossover around 80, using low level inputs. Speakers are large Advents. Couldn’t be happier.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    johnny q likes this.
  14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I'm using speaker high level outputs to REL subs on both Yamaha 501 and Yamaha 1000 amps with great results.

15. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Just use the sub out to the LFE in on the sub.

johnny q likes this.
  16. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

On my Yamaha amp it's a single dedicated output jack labelled "Subwoofer out jack" which outputs a mono signal to a powered subwoofer. It uses a single phono (or RCA) lead.
    The subwoofer is a very basic Yamaha but it does the job of helping my mediocre speakers.

johnny q likes this.
  17. Tartifless

The AS-801 has a sub out so should be straightforward.
    I don't know where you got the info that this would only output the .1 channel of 5.1 tracks: this is wrong.
    Moreover the AS-801 is a stereo amp...

Do not use method 2: you might lose soundstage and the sub might cut-off frequencies below 100hz...

Alternatively you could also run 8 speaker cables from your amp: 4 to the speakers and 4 to the sub (parallel plugging) : it is a better option than the 2 (serial).

18. johnny q

Again everyone, thanks so much for the replies and being patient with my dumb questions! :)

The "LFE only transmits the dedicated .1 LFE track of a 5.1 disc and nothing from stereo music" came from some other forum talk I found via a Google search. I like your answer the best! However - with Sub out--->LFE IN, I do lose the crossover control on the sub and the amp forces an attenuation of anything above 90HZ.

Regarding your "parallel plugging" suggestion. This means Speaker A from the amp goes direct to the loudspeakers and Speaker B goes direct to the Sub hi level input? My loudspeakers remain full range and then with the subs crossover and output control, I custom tailor it to just handle the bass below were my speakers crap out - is that all correct??? My speakers specs are 45HZ to 28KHZ by the way.

19. johnny q

That is correct - yes.

20. Tartifless

That or you bi-wire the speaker-a output.

And yes your speakers remain full range and with the sub crossover you manage the speakers frequency range.

Still I find strange that the sub crossover setting is deactivated when using LFE in!
    My sub crossover settings work with the LFE in !
    edit: indeed it does, the manual states so.

You know you can just try out with a standard rca cable.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    johnny q likes this.
  21. johnny q

I know!!!!!!!!!!!! But here it is from the manual:

"Please note that the "CROSSOVER" is not available when the subwoofer is connected through the “Line Inputs LFE."

I emailed Focal about this - waiting to hear back. Hoping this is a typo! :)

I guess the simplest method is to just try it (Sub out-->LFE In) and see how it sounds. However, I am leaning towards your parallel plugging suggestion.

22. Tartifless

Just try with a rca cable.
    I don't know the cutting frequency of the yammies...
    My amp sends up to 3khz through the sub out, so I am happy I can control the cut-off on the sub.

Anyway if the sub-out to lfe does not work for you, then the best solution would be through speaker output in parallel of the loudspeakers.

johnny q likes this.
  23. Helom

Helom Forum member

If your sub has a high pass crossover for the main speakers (I assume it does if it has high level output taps) then your option 2 may very well be the best option. This could unload your main speakers from all bass duties below your chosen crossover setting, which can result in clearer mids. Your amp will also be less stressed as a whole. Your subs would take over all bass duties under 80Hz (common crossover setting).

From what I understand, using the speaker level inputs for the sub is also supposed to result in the best sub/speaker matching due to less likelihood of phase issues.

johnny q likes this.
  24. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

If memory serves, dedicated subwoofer cables are 75 ohm.

25. johnny q

Yeah- that’s about the only thing that is 100% clear to me through all of this!!!

rodentdog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.