Yamaha AV Receivers any good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by afterm.ath, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afterm.ath

afterm.ath my life! Thread Starter

Came across the RX-V741 recently, says on the front it supports DSD5.6 through USB, Optical, and HDMI. Is it good though? What are your experiences with Yamaha receivers?

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I haven't owned a Yamaha AVR in a number of years. From what I've read current and recently released Yamaha AVRs are quite good with excellent reliability. Out of curiosity I did a Google search for the RX-V741 and it corrected it to the RX-V471. Could it be the RX-V471?

RX-V471 - Overview - Yamaha - United States

3. I have had great luck with Yamaha AVRs, three systems in house and I currently use an RX-V663, RX-V471 and RX-V579. In order, about 11-years, 5-years and 2-years old. I have had no issues with any of the three. As far as I know, the RX-V741 has to be a typo unless it is older than my oldest.

Shak Cohen and Mike from NYC like this.
  4. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

My last AV receiver was a Yamaha and I wouldn't hesitate to look at Yamaha again if I were in the market.

Shak Cohen and chili555 like this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I really struggle to hear much difference in the AVR's at this level. I think it comes down to features, set up and interface.

I would rather have something with pre outs so I could have the option of a separate power amp.

DrZhivago, gd0 and Bill Mac like this.
  6. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Been happy with my Yamaha for a couple years now. Never tried the DSD over USB feature because I have no DSD files.

7. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

^^^^^^^

I have the RX-A1040, w/front & center preouts going to Yamaha P series power amps. The YPAO
    does an XL job with 7.0 in my HT/2-channel rig.

A refurbished Yamaha RX-A1050 is $599 & has

YPAO™ - R.S.C. with Multipoint Measurement

YPAO - Reflected Sound Control analyzes room acoustics and measures various speaker characteristics, then calibrates audio parameters to achieve optimum sound in the listening area. It employs Reflected Sound Control to correct early reflections for studio-quality sound. It also provides DSP Effect Normalization which varies the CINEMA DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds. With Multipoint measurement, measure up to eight locations ensuring each seat is acoustically optimized during playback.

Previously, in chronological order: Pioneer SC-07, 2 Yamaha HTRs & RX-V1103; I prefer the Yamahas.

8. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Have owned a few Yamaha's over the last several years.
    Very nice neutral tonal balance, well thought out and reliable.

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree that there really isn't that much of a SQ difference with AVRs in that price range. Features and reliability are two important things to consider IMO. Having preouts is important as well as all the AVRs in recent years that I've owned have been used as prepros.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

AVR's sound different at this level for sure. Pre-outs are usually not on any AVR at this price range, but usually in the models That are in the $700.00 and up range.

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The build priority for these units isn't in the amplification and they have to hit a price point to be competitive. It really is all about the processing and that technology seems to age at a very fast pace. I was alway more of a Denon guy going back to the early 2000's. The setup process is such a nightmare that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. When it was new and starting from factory specks it was just complicated, years later after all the manuals are lost, it's nearly impossible.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

My first AVR was a Yamaha RX-V663. Flawless performance. FS if anyone is interested.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. Len-ski

Len-ski Forum Resident

I purchased there flagship receiver back in 2003, the Yamaha RX-Z1 and it’s been working flawlessly with daily usage. Through the years I have purchased many different brand receivers and this is my second Yamaha and they are the only ones l have never had any problems with. When and if it breaks down before I do, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase another Yamaha. Wouldn’t even consider a different brand.

c-eling and rodentdog like this.
  14. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have a Yamaha RX-Z9 now and had a RX-v990 in the past. No issues. Love my current Z9. The sucker weighs about 60lbs. I wouldn't hesitate in getting a Yamaha AVR.

Len-ski likes this.
  15. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I recently purchased Yamaha Aventage 1070 and am very pleased with it, using it as a pre-pro, suprised to find 3070 model only gets 3 Star rating in What Hi-Fi ?.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Happy owner of a 40 buck mid 90's RX-V2090
    Not the prettiest gal on the block, but she has a beautiful voice :)

Bananas&blow and Len-ski like this.
  17. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I've had an RX-V870 back in the real old days- for what it was, it sounded fantastic- nice and spacious.
    I then bought an RX-V1000- worlds apart, 5.1 channel inputs other up to date connections(at that time), but a step down in sound. It simply did not have the air or space. It also had a Relay issue upon turn on- sometimes getting sound one channel until cranked. Relay replaced- and it happened a second time.

I then bought either an RX-A1030 or 1040, I can't remember which. Finally an HDMI AND 5.1 Channel RCA Inputs for modern both DVD-A and SACD(I have both).It sounds ok- as mentioned above probably not a lot of differences today other than interface and features.

However- my 33 yr old A700 Integrated Amp sounds better than all of the above. I want to set up a dedicated Analog setup upstairs for my other Table and was going to use this- however I bought a project Pioneer SX-950 that may ultimately fill that bill.

Chris

18. harby

harby Forum Resident

I think you are generalizing. Cost-cutting is what you see in Sonys, even where the circuit boards are cut into weird shapes so they can use the least area. Yamaha is very well regarded, although they have a very wide variety of products all under the name Yamaha, with no need to make esoteric or bottom-end brand names for their different tiers.

Sony 7.2 receiver:
    [​IMG]

Yamaha:
    [​IMG]
    and also pre-outs in abundance, although Yamaha has been cutting back in recent models:
    [​IMG]

4xoddic and Dennis0675 like this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Let's look inside of a Yamaha 2ch amp that is rated at 90wpc and has no digital processing

[​IMG]

Isn't it odd that the WPC rating is about the same as the AVR's with five channels? I know this is a $3,000 receiver and not apples to apples by a long shot. Just saying that when it comes to giving you the power you want/need to drive speakers, you're not getting much of that in an AVR. It's all bells and whistles, a bunch of processing logos on the faceplate and not much of what drives a speaker.

There is a reason a 5 year old AVR can be found for $50. Hell, I paid about $1,500 for my Denon in 2007. I doubt I could get $100 or it on ebay and it works just as good as the day I brought it home.

I'm not bashing Yamaha, it fact I think you generally get more value and reliability from them than other brands. The reality is that in the sub $1,000 AVR market, driving speakers isn't where they are putting the build priority. It's the processing logos on the faceplate and those logos seem to change every couple years.

20. harby

harby Forum Resident

Insides of a Conrad-Johnson Premier 11, 70 watts per channel. I know this is a $3000 tube amplifier, so also not apples-to-apples. I could say that you're not getting all that much with a standalone "audiophile" amplifier.

[​IMG]

Anyway, Yamaha makes good products, from $500 receivers to $20,000 flutes or $800,000 supercars.

The primary reason for cheap AVRs, used, is because of constantly changing video and digital specifications. Want 4K HDMI 1.4a and Bluetooth? Gotta dump that component video receiver. A bonus for those who just want sound, and are tricksy enough to feed the pre-outs back into the other fully-symmetric discrete amp channels of a Yamaha for bi-amp and sub amp.

Len-ski and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. afterm.ath

Yeah, I meant the 471. It's a typo I didn't notice. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for the rest of you, I'd like to thank you as well. This, while being more expensive, is MILES better than that Denon I spotted a few weeks ago. Now deciding to get this instead of the Denon, mainly due to features like DSD. Yamaha really seems to be well-regarded around here.

22. afterm.ath

Yes, it is a typo. Sorry I missed that, but yes, I'm referring to the 471.

Also spotted a 483 and 481. I assume that is good as well?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  23. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Well I have a Yamaha RX-A1040 and can't recommend it more highly. It smokes the old Denon AVR I used to own. I also listen to valve based 2 channel stereo and have another 2 channel system using Denon Monoblocks. The Yamaha acquits itself very nicely in this company. Its music performance is perfectly acceptable for casual listening and its surround sound performance is absolutely great.

4xoddic likes this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If you are talking recent models, Denon is in fact garbage. Once the same parent company had Marantz and Denon, Denon (in the US) was relegated to the bottom tier Mid-fi or a lifestyle brand to compete with Bose. Going back 10 to 15 years ago it was a much different situation. I think Denon has been sold again, perhaps improvements are coming but I think the brand has been severely damaged.

25. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I can't vouch for newer Denon models but just like Dennis mentioned 8-15 year old models were (and still are) great performers (and now great value)...I own Denon AVR 4310 which I bought used for USD 275 a couple of years ago, great receiver.

Bill Mac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.