YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Some old guy compared The Who with Journey. So, that sure ought to put everybody in their places.

Aggie87 likes this.
  2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Broke my heart cut they promised me the gig. Two-timin' backstabbers. I paid their manager $85,000 to be the next singer and he just drove away laughing in his 1974 Datsun.

altaeria likes this.
  3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

My post by it's nature can't relate to the topic - it's calling out someone else's post for being off-topic (and not just off-topic, but an annoying comment that invariably shows up in any Yes thread, usually when it's not related to the discussion). Hopefully that makes sense.

4. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I doubt that whatever new product this ends up being would obviate the original release, it's still available for all to hear, so sure, why not release this?

I'll give credit where credit is due for his contribution to Yes' history; Benoit was suitably talented on Fly, definitely serviceable, but, in my opinion, left no indelible mark whatsoever. Talented, but ultimately faceless...I'd like to hear a full Drama-era reunion on this one...

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Personally I can't imagine they would keep the original product out there if they see a need to do this. How many artists leave two different mixes competing in stores as new items. Never seen that done, even when parts are rerecorded by new musicians.

6. davers

davers Forum Resident

Give it a listen! As a big fan of both albums cited above, I love Fly From Here...it sort of completes a trilogy.

willy likes this.
  7. davers

davers Forum Resident

With Squire gone, a full Drama-era reunion won't happen of course. I hear ya though...I wish I could've seen the original Drama tour, or even the full album performance on the 2016 tour.

8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I'm a huge Yes fan up until Drama. I was surprised how much I liked FFH. This idea just seems to cheapen things a bit. Yuck.

Zach Johnson likes this.
  9. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Sorry, you're off topic again.

I liked Fly From Here, moderately. Would have been a good Buggles LP! (Maybe after they re-do the vocals, Yuggles LP!)

uzn007 likes this.
  10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Van Halen 3 is like Who's Next or Close to the Edge compared to the last two Yes albums!

Lownote30 likes this.
  11. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Of course. I was talking about the potential release of the re-recorded album as being a Drama-era reunion, not necessarily expecting a full-blooded reunion in 2017.:)

I definitely wouldn't mind a catalog release of a full live show from the 1979-1980 period to go along with the re-recorded Fly From Here, though, especially since the basis for the title track was being road tested way back during that tour. Throw the studio recording from April of '80 in, and you've got the makings of a great set!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  12. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

The two recent re-mixes I can think of right now (pre-coffee) are Pearl Jam's Ten and Temple of the Dog, both of which got recent remixes that didn't remove the original from stores. Granted, they were anniversary projects, so, I'm not sure that's directly relatable.

Rush is probably a more appropriate example, though, I'm not entirely positive right now whether or not both versions of Rush's Vapor Trails are still available. I'm fairly certain that both are easily obtainable, though.

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Are both available on iTunes or streaming services like Spotify? If not one has been replaced for most listeners.

Not that I think this album is some great work that the world will lose out on if the vocals are replaced by those of the guy who wrote and produced it.

14. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

The Pearl Jam and TOTD albums are available in both re-mixed and original form on Spotify, though it looks like Vapor Trails is currently only available in the remixed form for streaming. iTunes has all for purchase, and the Cds for all are easily bought on Amazon or anywhere else.

I personally don't see the big deal. You do what Rush did, write remixed on the cover, invert the colors for the cover art, and off we go. It's not as though anyone other than die-hards are buying this anyway. Is there anyone alive who would possibly care about this and yet not be big enough of a fan as to be so confused that they would not know what they were buying?

15. Say It Right

While your enthusiasm for this prospect is a refreshing counterpoint to some of the negativity, it's difficult to imagine this set having much widespread appeal. It'd have to be a relatively short run, but maybe this fulfills that last record contract?

16. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

See my above point about die-hards buying this. There's certainly not much wide appeal there at all. That said, that certainly doesn't mean they won't charge money to milk the devoted one more time. That's to a large degree what the record business is all about these days. Squeeze the hardcores again and again over the legacy acts with vault release after vault release to counteract the fact that very few newer artists actually make a living selling albums.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:yikes:

18. Say It Right

@zen will buy it.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I always felt Benoit David's vocals on FFH lacked any sense of emotion, urgency, or (forgive me) Drama. The technical competency was there but there was no sense of actual connection with the lyrics or music. I'm very intrigued by the thought of hearing Trevor Horn's vocals instead.

20. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I, for one, am up for this. I actually liked "Fly From Here" and would love to hear Trevor Horn singing the tracks. If you listen to the bonus tracks on "Adventures In Modern Recording", you can already hear Trevor's earlier takes on the songs (which Benoit David seemed to sing similarly).

I do hope that the new recordings are less compressed than FFH was.

Now if they could just go in and do a remix/re-thinking of "Tormato".

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The way to handle this would be a 2-CD / 2 LP version, with Benoit David's version on Disc 1 and Trevor's on Disc 2. The original vinyl is out of print and goes for stupid money, so a reissue would be welcome anyway.

Mad Dog, Rfreeman and oneway23 like this.
  22. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I adore Fly From Here. I'll buy this "new" version in a heartbeat.

willy likes this.
  23. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Slightly bizarre if true ... but I would still buy it I think.

Once I realised the background to Fly From Here, bought the 2010 reissue of Adventures In Modern Recording and having watched the DVD that came with Fly From Here .... I was left with the strong feeling that it should have originally been recorded as a Drama lineup album anyway.

oneway23 likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If it is clearly labeled on the front cover that the vocals were redone with a new singer, I see no problem with it. But nor would I consider rebuying this with new vocals.

25. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Ha! So will @Zephead2112

So, I mean, look, I'll count myself, @zen , and, @Zephead2112 .

That's at least three buys, right? :D

Say It Right likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.