YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did USPS deliver the album or was it UPS or Fed Ex? Mine still hasn’t shown up yet and I’m leaving town on Monday

2. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

USPS.

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Mine showed up. A little handling damage to the lower left-hand corner of the sleeve - but the vinyl is fine, flat and quiet. I’ll consider this an end to the Drama and won’t bother trying to get a replacement out of PledgeMusic.

Sounds gorgeous!

4. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

I've just got an, um, sample copy of the 24b FLAC of Return Journey.

To start with I played the CD of the original - first time I've played it since 2012.

As with most over compressed recordings (it's DR7) it sounded great at first, but by the 2nd half the volume was turned down and I was browsing the internet instead of listening. When I tried to listen I couldn't pay attend - back to the net. This is how I had felt when I first did the album, so I don't really know the 2nd half.

The 24b Return, though only an improvement to DR8, was a revelation - this I could listen to all the way through. As others have mentioned, Squire's bass comes through better. For the first time ever I noticed and appreciated it on the last track.

I found Benoît's original vocals fine, and Horn's vocals are not an improvement. But as this was his baby and this recreates the Drama band, I'm happy with this.

For me it's the improvement in audio quality which has made all the difference. I would LOVE to hear a DR12 or 14 version of this album. But, even though on paper this isn't a huge improvement, this new version is a huge increase in my listening pleasure.

FVDnz, HanowarHAIL, ledsox and 3 others like this.
  5. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Why was the vinyl not split into 2 discs? 30 minutes for side 2? ugh.

The dynamic range on the vinyl is much better than the cd and/or flac files

John Bliss likes this.
  6. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

because Trevor shortened fly from here suite they have actually moved man you always wanted me to be to side 1. so each side is 26-27 minutes long. not ideal but not quite as bad as we all were thinking initially.

woulda been nice to have a double vinyl though maybe throw on go through this as an additional bonus track to bring the run time up to fill it nicely.

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

One of the sides of "Topographic Drama" is even longer (28 mins) and it sounds pretty good.

8. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine STILL hasn’t shown up : ( supposedly shipped on June 21 to California

9. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Waiting for mine, too...

10. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

It takes longer to arrive in US because it will fly from here... ;)

11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

That’s for you to decide.

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If it's cut well, it'll still sound good. Hoping they'll sell this somewhere outside of Pledge, it was way too expensive for me to bite with shipping to the US.

13. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

The vinyl sounds very nice. Mine is a nice flat clean pressing.
    I was going to pass on this but in a moment of weakness I ordered it. I liked the original enough to want to hear this.
    I like it well enough. There are moments when I felt the original vocals had more energy to them. Then there are moments where I think the Trevor Horn vocals are a better fit.
    Glad I got this. Always glad to spin a nice new vinyl pressing. I like both and wouldn't personally waste any thoughts on which is better. They both have their merits. To each his own. :cheers:

24voltsdc and Ben Adams like this.
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's mastered really beautifully. Nearly 30 minutes per side but doesn't sound it - and the vinyl is so quiet that noise floor is never an issue.

Simply a great-sounding LP. Brings me lots of pleasure.

johnny q, 24voltsdc, Jvalvano and 3 others like this.
  15. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Just listened to the first side this afternoon. It is definitely a very different experience from that of the original release. The new mix strikes me as being a bit more "raw" sounding in general, which some will enjoy and some will not. I think the biggest beneficiary of the new mix (at least on side 1) is somewhat surprisingly "The Man You Always Wanted Me to Be," the original version of which sounded too slick (in an almost contemporary country hit radio sort of way) to me. Now it sounds a bit more like what I imagine its demo might have sounded like, which is at least slightly more Yes-ish than the 2011 version.

I agree with some who find the new transitions in the title suite a mixed bag. The early ones feel more abrupt, making the sections seem more self-contained than suite-like. The transition to the finale, though, feels more organic and less tacked-on to me, which is an improvement. In general, I prefer Trveor's vocal interpretations, though I don't think they are "better" in any technical sense than those of Benoit David. What Trevor seems to be doing differently is providing far more textural variety to the performances, singing each section a bit differently (that is, sometimes more whispery, sometimes more speech-like, sometimes more mellifluous, etc.), whereas Benoit tended to sing in a more consistent manner throughout. Again, I can imagine different people preferring either approach. As with many of the mix differences, the Benoit version seems a bit more slick and radio friendly, whereas the Trevor version feels more personal and idiosyncratic. "Sad Night at the Airfield" is probably the most radically changed in feel, becoming much more intimate. When I heard it on the Youtube video some weeks back, I thought excising most of the pedal steel part was a mistake, but listening to the record over my main speakers, I can understand why Trevor may have thought it created too much of a climax too early, and would have clashed too much with the more intimate feel the track now has.

As others have said, the bass, drums, and Chris's vocals often feel more prominent in the mix.

I'll probably have more thoughts as I give it more listens, but these are my initial impressions.

Does anyone else think it might have been a good idea to use the Drama-era "Quicksilver" logo on the cover for this version, to really underline the fact that it is now entirely the Drama lineup (and call more visual attention to the silvery antelope figure)?

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yes, I absolutely agree with this.

17. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Fishoutofwater and marblesmike like this.
  18. walrus

Got my vinyl from Burning Shed (still a little pricey, but much more reasonable than the Pledge pricing), and it's really nice. No IGD issues like the original version of the album...I wouldn't describe the sound as "open," but I really think it's just due to the mix/mastering than the amount of music on each side. I was a little skeptical after how bad the Frontiers release was on LP, but this one is nicely done.

John Bliss and marblesmike like this.
  19. walrus

(I will say, for those concerned about side length...the 'new' track is completely expendable, as is Howe's solo piece. Cut those two and moving "The Man You Always Wanted To Be" might've been the way to go here. Oh well)

20. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I finally got to listen to Return Trip. A friend picked up the CD for me at a recent Yes concert.

This was always my favorite Yes album since Talk, and now I love it even more. What a treat it is to hear Trevor and Chris singing together. This is a marked improvement. Even though there was nothing necessarily wrong with Benoit David’s work, this version just feels right, especially to this Drama devotee.

21. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Had been kind of waiting for the vinyl or CD to hit Amazon, but gave up and ordered the FLAC download from Pledge music today. Never bought the original, but am curious to hear this new version.

22. That's where I'm at too -- 'cept I hate downloads, so I'm still waiting for the CD to hit Amazon (and I never bought the original either, I'm afraid).

I'd gladly drop $15 on this, one a bigger order (so as to get free shipping). But anything much more than $15, and I'm inclined to say "eh, maybe I'll find it cheaper some other way at some point". Again, zero interest in doing a download, and if I found it to stream it - that'd mean I'd hear it twice, and then that'd either convince me to get it on CD, or skip it (I don't stream stuff much either).

slipkid likes this.
  23. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

yeah, actually, not having the panthers on it is the worst thing about this new artwork. I really wish the artwork recalled Drama a lot more; it looks off to me. Drama is kind of a dark album and the artwork reflected that; and at least the first side and Into the Storm are similar. I don't get the flora/organic feel off this which the artwork seems to represent.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Folks - is anyone aware of any options for folks in the USA, other than ordering from the UK? I really want the vinyl. I see there are a few available on Discogs, but people are asking over 60 dollars for them.

25. Just Ordered it. Much cheaper than Ebay!! Thanks

uzn007 and imarcq like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.