Yes!? NO! - The all purpose Yes arguing and complaining thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

on a positive note...just ordered Squire's Swiss Choir, hope this is as good as I think it is

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I like it, but it's an odd one. Yes-like arrangements of hymns and carols with the choir doing the vocals (and occasional Hackett guitar). Sounds great at Christmas time.

3. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

No big problem--I'm just a bit embarrassed by that post, as I don't generally enjoy unbalanced, negative venting (from myself or others) on internet fora. Even last night I feel like I let myself get a bit overly combative for my own comfort level, with both you and Scott (and I suspect I would find more to agree than disagree with both of you most of the time). I just hope that most people here will find it at least somewhat out of character for me! :cheers:

jay.dee likes this.
  4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I had no problems with your posts

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  5. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I love this thread. It's great to discuss all the aspects of one of my favorite bands. Thanks for keeping it civil, guys!

Harvest Your Thoughts likes this.
  6. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Pick up the Squackett album if you haven't already.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I must admit, I have very mixed feelings about the current lineup.

Jon Davison is a friend of mine and he is doing a hell of a job filling a difficult position. I just wish that some of the other guys in the band were able to match his enthusiasm...

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  8. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Although I don't care for H&E and I have mixed feelings about the current lineup, your friend Mr. Davison is doing a hell of a job. In fact, I'd probably give him the Yes MVP right about now.

24voltsdc and warewolf95 like this.
  9. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Pretty cool. I also think he's doing a fantastic job (though I thought he looked very tired on last night's webcast). I hope he knows that lots of Yes fans feel the same way and support him.

Personally, I think Squire looks a bit less torpid (to use Bruford's word) than in recent years, and Steve was as animated in Denver as I've ever seen him. Downes looks old beyond his years and relieved not to f**k up, and White seems ready to fall off the stool by the third song. Ultimately, though I like what the band is doing live these days I can't see it going on like this forever.

zen and warewolf95 like this.
  10. CybrKhatru

I think he knows that a lot of folks are supporting him. He's always been a very talented and professional guy. (We played together in one incarnation of Roundabout, and I had the thrill of doing a gig with him and Squire a few years back for Bass Player magazine.)

Speaking as a keyboardist and drummer who has spent many years loving and learning this music, it's... er ... weird to sit in the audience sometimes :)

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. CybrKhatru

On another note ...

I somehow manage to find at least one song I like on each Yes record. I do have my preferences, but even on the albums I like least there are a few shining moments.

12. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Lift Me Up? :D

13. CybrKhatru

LOL! I'm never gonna live that down, am I? :D

Yeah, that's one of 'em.....

Meng likes this.
  14. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

That would work for me..............

15. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nothing to do with their opinion. Re-read your post...

16. JAG

on my list thanks

17. JAG

just stop making it personal by calling people bonkers or anything else you may think of

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I happened to read this quote from a recent Jon Anderson interview that I thought might be relevant to the discussion:

"And that’s what we did over the years, and in a way, it became at times too — not clinical, but it became — record company execs would come in and look for the hits. (Laughs.) It freaked me out because the songs I thought were big hits, they’d say, “No!” So we were making music for the record company. And I thought, “Wait a minute, we’re supposed to be making music for the fans!” But in my deep heart, I was always making music for my conscious self and the band, and I was never listening to the record company that much. But you get a lot of that. What would happen between the lines, the record company would wine and dine the band members without me being there because they knew I wasn’t interested. So at times the band started to get a little bit out of focus, and that’s when we started making records that weren’t that good. They were OK."

Though I haven't really loved JA's creative input throughout the 80s - 90s period, I do rather enjoy his quixotic spirit (though I'm sure it has its downside as well!). Obviously, this is slanted from his own point of view, but I think there's some truth to it. It seems like they were continually working at cross purposes throughout this phase and the disappointing results are a reflection of that dysfunction.

I got into Yes as a young teenager in the 80s and still have an affection for 90125 on its own terms. I can't really blame them for making a change of direction during the prog unfriendly 80s (like Genesis, though the adaptation was more gradual in their case), but I think that the breakthrough success of the album and the single was ultimately bad for them, though it gave them a new lease on life in the short term.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    jay.dee likes this.
  19. Harvest Your Thoughts

It's not personal. I like people who are bonkers!

20. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

look so i saw the show tonite, it was wayyyy better than i expected, i didnt notice any of the tempo probs i noticed in canada in march. fragile worked for me though and through. even cans & brahams. i went into this VERY skeptical, but i thought all n all it was one of the better shows ive seen them do in a few yrs, defin the best with new-jon. steve played the best siberian khatru solo ive ever heard, it was BURNIN'. was front row in front of steve for 2/3rds of the show. the new material came off better than i expected, they did believe again & the game. both sounded good live. the only thing that 'got me' was the squire background vox in GAME. they were just too poppy, but not in a trevor horn way, if that makes sense.

21. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Yes, definitely check Squackett out. I wonder why Squire hasn't been bringing such input on the latest album. My only gripe with the album is that the bass is not as prominent as I thought it would have been.

22. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

And yet you insult him covertly... why? This is a complaints thread, not "Yes all purpose personal insults" thread.

23. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Hey, I'm bonkers and I'm not the least bit insulted!

Harvest Your Thoughts likes this.
  24. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

I dunno - to me it really didn't read like any kind of insult. To me it seemed like he was using "bonkers" in a good natured, inclusive way. It also wasn't directed at anyone specific.

There have been way, way more insulting things said on this and other threads.

25. Harvest Your Thoughts

Add me to that list. I am a Yes fan after all and what's more, I actually like Heaven & Earth. That would make me bonkers according the majority of Yesfans it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.