Yes "Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy Two" - NO Bruford/White Arguments

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

The original discs have matrix numbers ending in V01; the replacements end in V02.

2. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Hell, I just relabeled the discs and put in proper sleeves, rather than going thru the trouble of replacing.

Quincy likes this.
  3. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Though some (understandably) question the need for 7 concerts from the same tour featuring the same setlist, I find it essential for hardcore fans. It is my hope that if it sells well, more sets of this sort will surface.

Meng likes this.
  4. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Perfect. Thanks for the assist.

5. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Just played the Nassau show this morning. This reissue was really one of the best of 2015 IMO ! If only we could get some early 70's Bruford complete shows to complete the picture ;-)

ARK, Meng and yesstiles like this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's a killer set of concerts. It's odd that people would complain about it being inclusive. It shows a band on tour playing their set night after night. They worked so hard on the road it's a wonder it did not kill them.

But it's not for everyone.

Btw, these tapes were not lost. They were simply put into a trunk and marked "do not use" because they were the exact shows used for the Yessongs album. Which made sense.

I saw the CTTE tour in 1973, so this set is special for me. Others feel the same way even if they did not see the tour at all.

More is always better when it comes to vault releases of classic bands at their peaks.

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Now that this set has sunk it -- anybody got a single favourite show from the box?

And is the vinyl set worth picking up? I didn't grab the vinyl the first time... but I've noticed prices starting to drop again...

8. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I chose (the correct) Knoxville for my iTunes.

It seemed the most consistent performance and the one with fewest technical issues.

Dok likes this.
  9. Dok

Dok Senior Member

And I was there! :winkgrin:

DaverJ and Doctor Flang like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Knoxville was a slamming gig and I think the one they used most for Yessongs.

11. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

According to Wikipedia:

"By audio comparison, "Close to the Edge" and "Starship Trooper" were recorded at the Rainbow Theatre on 15 or 16 December 1972 as they were included in the Yessongs film.

It is assumed that "Perpetual Change" and "Long Distance Runaround"/"The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)" come from shows at the Academy of Music from 19 and 23 February.[5]

The release of Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy-Two reveals further audio similarities:

• the first portion of "Roundabout" is from Ottawa, Ontario on 1 November;
    • "Heart of the Sunrise" and "And You and I" are from Greensboro, North Carolina on 12 November;
    • the first two thirds of "Excerpts from 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII'" are from Athens, Georgia on 14 November;
    • "Siberian Khatru" is from Knoxville, Tennessee on 15 November;
    • "Yours is no Disgrace" is from Athens, Georgia on 14 November
    • the "Firebird Suite" intro (including the Mellotron/bass pedal link piece), the final third of "Excerpts from 'The Six Wives Of Henry VIII'" and "Mood for a Day" are from Uniondale, New York on 20 November.

("I've Seen All Good People" and "Roundabout" from 5:26 onward do not match any specific performances on the Progeny set or in the Yessongs film; they may be culled from the performances at the Rainbow which were not used in the film, or may be from performances which were later overdubbed.)"

crp207 likes this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think "Yours Is No Disgrace" is from Knoxville, and that the person who wrote that for Wiki had the mislabelled CDs. Not sure about "Six Wives." I've only heard the set on Spotify where the Athens/Knoxville mixup didn't happen.

Doctor Flang and Meng like this.
  13. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

^^^
    You're right. I have the corrected Progeny box, and the Yessongs YIND is from Knoxville (timed at 16:47).

The Progeny entry on Wiki has also not been corrected.

Doctor Flang likes this.
  14. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I bought a used copy of the 7 CD set for $40 today, even though one of the corners of the box was a bit dented. I've been going back and forth on whether I wanted all 7 shows or the just highlights set for nearly a year now, but I just happened to bid on the box by chance right before the auction ended. Is this a good deal?

ARK likes this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yep :)

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm now seeing the vinyl for very cheap in a couple places...any sound quality difference with the box?

17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I think you got a really nice deal. I actually pondered that one when it was active but ended up going with B&N who had a 25% off $75 or more (it was and still is priced at $75.12). Mine ended up being just under $61 out the door with the coupon, tax & free shipping.

Curiously, B&N has store pick-up now for this item (wasn't an option when I ordered it). Seems the prices for this box are starting to go up in some markets but for now, B&N appears to have a decent amount of stock.

Now I need to investigate this incorrect disc issue. I'm only on the first set (Toronto) right now, pretty pleased to have gotten this box!

DiabloG likes this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've got the SHM-CD boxed set from Japan and it sounds wonderful and all my discs seem to be correctly labeled. What's curious is the 2-CD compendium is not an SHM-CD affair; only the boxed set is. Never seen that happen before.

19. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I would have gone with the 14-cd set, but to each his own. :)

izgoblin, DiabloG, Meng and 1 other person like this.
  20. fabrikk

fabrikk Well-Known Member

"Yessongs" had two tracks with a version of the band that had Wakeman and Bruford in it. I really hope that one day soon there will be a full show with that lineup released, that includes those two Yessongs tracks (Long Distance/Fish & Perpetual Change). Has anyone heard if such a release is planned? It would be tragic if there are no good tapes!

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Wakeman is in all line-ups from Yes Album on through Tales right.

22. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

No, Tony Kaye is on The Yes Album.

23. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

....but he is on all of Yessongs, unlike Bill Bruford.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh, Wakeman and Bruford crossed paths for only a short period, I see, two albums, and not much touring (if any) behind CTTE.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I saw the CTTE tour '73 in Las Vegas, NV at the Ice Palace with Poco opening. That show and Floyd Animals in '77 are two of my all-time favorites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.