Yes (Steven Wilson Remixes) 6LP Box Set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big Swifty, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Most of what I've heard so far has been fantastic -- a huge soundstage, detailed bass, dead quiet vinyl. But has anyone else noticed a moderate amount of sibilance on The Yes Album, especially around Anderson's vocals on Side 1?

2. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

Good luck. I hope they follow though soon for you. After not getting a response from them today, I ordered elsewhere (along with the Petty box) and they've already been shipped and scheduled for delivery Monday. I shot a note to SSD cancelling both. As far as SSD, I quit. Running up the white flag. Never. No more. Done. Gonna have to look elsewhere on my shelves if I wanna hear any classic period Yes this weekend!

[​IMG]

3. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Ok, all cleaned, and so far Relayer is my new go to, but as expected, my Promo Tales is still king. Tales also has some surface noise in the quiet parts which is disappointing. I'll report back when I get to the others this weekend. Love the new Fragile and CTTE covers!

DK Pete likes this.
  4. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I had a chat with our friends at Amazon and extracted a 20% discount for the damaged box due to their packaging incompetence. And I was so proud of them for getting it to me early.

I really liked the Yes Album. I love getting a peak under the skirt at the end of A Venture. That is one of the best fade-out solos of all time going on there.

pinkrudy and Electric Sydney like this.
  5. Mr.Kite

Mr.Kite Forum Resident

Seems about right....

[​IMG]

6. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

And You And I........Oh my! :love:

Zephead2112 and Eric Weinraub like this.
  7. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

You worse then me with you Yes collection. I'm showing my wife she'll almost understand why I bought this set.

8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

When you're a virtual monopoly, you don't have to try. Sorry to hear it.

nfmboss666 likes this.
  9. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I did the same about two hours. Have never received something in as poor shape as this. The box was actually both smashed and torn. i could overlook a ding but not that. Wonder what happens to all the returns.

10. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

There are places that buy Amazon returns and over stock and sell them on e-bay and liquidation stores. I know of two that I can pick up from and save shipping costs. One of the bought a bunch of the Tom Petty Live Anthology box sets brand new a few year ago! They were selling them on e-bay and they all went for more $ then I was willing to fork out but I tried. I bought my George Harrison box there for just over $200 cdn and it was 100% brand new. Bought my Beatles box there and save a ton.
    More people seem to be aware and foolishly I'll see some things sell for more then I could buy them on amazon for with free shipping. They also are very bad at understanding the condition of open vinyl but good at offering discounts or credits if not as described. My Springsteen box was in rough shape but they said new, the records were sealed but box need some repair. When I picked it up and pointed it out they gave a discount that put it under $100 cdn.

Brendan Mulhaire likes this.
  11. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

:confused::confused:Ordered the Yes boxset months ago.

Amazon.ca says that shipping will be July 26.

They must be having stocking problems....too many returns / replacements?

12. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

I received mine from Amazon UK this afternoon. Not had a listen but the package was in good shape (a box within a box, no damage). Looking forward to giving it a spin.

Zephead2112 and masterbucket like this.
  13. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I'm listening to Sound Chaser as I type; WOW. I actually think that the vinyl has the edge over the DVD/BD's (and I boldly say that as someone who doesn't own a high-end vinyl set-up).

SirMarc and scottp like this.
  14. EddieMann

I like the changes in the album cover artwork for Close To The Edge and Fragile, but Tales, not so much. Its not a gatefold painting anymore. What's up with that?

SirMarc likes this.
  15. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I cancelled my Yes box preorder with S SD and asked for a credit back to my CC which they had charged weeks prior. SSD cancelled the order. No credit. I wrote them again. No response. I had to file a dispute with Amex to get a refund. Just FYI. Watch out.

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So no one knows why “The Yes Album” is the only one theat says “Steven Wilson Remix” on the front? Why did they do that to it, and none of the others?

17. EddieMann

Yeah, they replied to my e-mails with a cancellation confirmation and a "Paypal account will be credited" promise. So far that's all it is. I'll give them a couple of days.

18. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

One of the nicest sets to come out this year.....top shelf sound and packaging.
    I played them all this afternoon...no issues at all.
    A must have for any serious progressive rock fan.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Big Swifty, SirMarc, AidanB and 4 others like this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Got my box from Amazon. No issues. I’m not a huge Yes fan but I do like their classic LPs. I never heard the Wilson remixes either. I just finished listening to Roundabout. All I can say is, wow!! It does have a big soundstage. Sounds fantastic. I enjoyed the remix and of course Chris Bellman is terrific!

Big Swifty, AidanB, GordonM and 5 others like this.
  20. vwroccet

vwroccet Forum Resident

Bummer 'bout the surface noise on TYA; thus far I haven't noticed anything like that. Hope it's not too bad.

What d'you think's the likelihood we might eventually see these as individual releases?

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m loving this box. I’d like to see Fremer do a review. Of course he would probably say that his UK Atlantic plum label pressing (assuming he has one) of The Yes Album sounds better. Better tonality, better this, better that. Blah blah blah...

audiotom likes this.
  22. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I think that is the only one without a new cover. So they had to put something to distinguish it.

23. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

To be fair, it was only *slight* surface noise. A cleaning did away with the bulk of it!

I have no idea if these'll be done separately, but if they aren't I think that a lot of fans will end up kicking themselves when they hear one of these.

24. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I posted some comments in the "What are you listening to now?" thread, before I got around to posting here. I bought the box over the counter yesterday. There are some minor bumps to the bottom left corners of all but Relayer, which evidently happened before they were boxed, as the outer box is perfect. They're so inconsequential, I'm not troubled by them.
    I'm very happy with the records. So far, I've played Close to the Edge, The Yes Album and Fragile, in that order. I've no complaints about the content or the pressings.
    All the quiet moments are dead quiet; the opening and closing of Close to the Edge, for instance (the concluding sounds of nature seem to go on longer than I'm used to - probably just my imagination - and with immaculate clarity). The opening of South Side of the Sky with the sound effects is remarkable. Some lovely nuances in Heart of the Sunrise, with exceptional separation of the instrumentation.
    These records are a joy to listen to.

AidanB, CBS 65780, Octavian and 2 others like this.
  25. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Well, there's no mistaking his name all over the front of the Jethro Tull ones he did! I have all these Yes albums a few times, and yet, reading this, I want it more than other recent boxes, say more than I do The Rolling Stones, a few of those which of course, I don't have ....
    It's like the end of Parenthood when Tom Hulce is telling dad Jason Robards about his gambling losses, "Goddamn basketball....," except for me it's more, "Goddamn box sets .... " :agree:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.