Yet another "commercials that annoy the hell out of us" thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Here is my latest rant on annoying commercials -

WTF is the deal with the commercials on Bravo and Oprah channels with the guy or gal that sounds like they are shouting through a megaphone? I was watching a House marathon yesterday afternoon on the Oprah channel and every commercial break contained at least one commercial where some gal was shouting about some other lame show on Oprah. Her voice was processed to sound like it was coming through a megaphone.

When I say megaphone - I mean the voice sound you would hear on old episodes of police shows - like the original Hawaii Five-O where McGarrett would be saying "You're surrounded. Come out with your hands up!"

Anyway, these commercials guarantee I'll switch he channel and not come back until they are over.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

E*TRADE talking baby commercials bug the hell out of me!

Also, any commercials with talking animals.

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

If it was up to me, a P'ed off Tony the tiger would come out of retirement and eat those flim-flaming babies! :laugh:

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

There's an Xfinity?? ad about wireless service where the teenage girl is downloading something and the dad is amazed this can be done wirelessly. Keeps asking where's the cable. Wife and daughter tell him he doesn't need one. He keeps making this "oooohhh!" sounds like he's discovering gold, and comes across like an idiot repeatedly.

Not giving a good name to dads. In my house, I'm the technology wizard. My wife wouldn't be able to get an email without me. But I guess that didn't score well in the market analysis.

Yeah, they do nothing for me but my wife loves them. "How cute!!" Guess they want more women to sign up for eTrade. In all seriousness, babies and dogs consistently yield the best marketing results among consumers.

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The one (think it's AT&T) where all the idiots in it are glued to their phones, and a couple of smart arses with a certain provider say "yeah, that was so XX seconds ago" and so on.

A sad commentary on modern life. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvVVQGgbKk0

I hate them all, and I am sure it's been mentioned. Just venting.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm all for public service spots that remind people of the things that are bad (or good) in life. But there's a current anti-smoking spot showing people literally dying in their beds, gasping for breath... and I can't bear to watch it. Two seconds in, I change the channel. I ain't-a gonna watch that, especially when I know it's not an actor -- it's a real person actually going through their death throes.

We get it, we get it: smoking is bad. I've never smoked and don't intend to start. Stop beating me over the head with it.

7. BigAlsBro

BigAlsBro Active Member

BUT 9 OUT OF 10 DOCTORS USED TO TELL US TO SMOKE PALL MALLS BECAUSE THEY WERE SO MUCH BETTER FOR OUR HEALTH THAN THE OTHER TOP 3 BRANDS !!!!!! That wasnt true ?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Remember when the dude from Perry Mason made his death bed commercial back in 1968 or whenever? That cured me of wanting to smoke, forever.

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

William Tallman? He played Hamilton Berger - the prosecuting attorney - right?

Here is some trivia that I never knew from Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Burger

Burger was portrayed (in the long-running original Perry Mason television series) by actor William Talman, who was replaced briefly after he was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and indecent exposure. Talman returned to the show after all charges against him were dropped.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah. He was a great actor and (from what I've been told) a great guy. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

He made a really creepy movie in the 1950's called "The Hitckhiker" for RKO where he played a bad guy..

At any rate, yes, his commercial was an eye opener for us kids. First of it's kind, I believe.

11. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

This is also the formula for many shows today. Particularly the Disney shows. The dad is ignorant, and needs to be corrected by the all-knowing children. Not sure when the transformation occurred, but I remember Ward Cleaver, Andy Taylor, Howard Cunningham, etc. being quite sharp. Fast forward, Tim Taylor was a buffoon, most any other family related sitcom will use the same tired formula.:shake:

12. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

In going completely against the topic of this thread, I must mention 1 series of commercials that make me chuckle. The commercial for directv showing the bad things that happen when you have cable tv. The guy gets beat up by thugs because he wars an eye patch. Another has someone hoarding stray animals, another had a grandbaby with a dog collar....all because of cable tv.

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yeah, but the "Do you guys know how to put a video on facebook?" is pure gold.

14. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

That damn pig in the GEICO commercials. I can't hit the mute button fast enough. And now they have THREE!:realmad:

15. CDix

CDix Active Member

I think it all goes back to The Honeymooners. Doofus Dad always coming up with some wacky scheme and the tolerant wife setting him straight. We've seen it ever since in everything from The Flintstones > Munsters> Roseanne > Family Guy/Simpsons etc etc.

As for the OP, most annoying to me are all the ads during dinnertime for drugs to ask our doctor about, complete with the litany of medical warning legalese.

16. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I {obviously) agree with you. :righton:

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The hypocrisy of the current Esurance ads taking the "high road" and mocking cutesy characters from other companies. Like whatever happened to Erin Esurance. Or "The Saver" and the over aged woman in pigtails?

Add to that a connection with Allstate, one of the worst insurers out there, and :hurl:

18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The one that ends up with "Don't buy cable".

It has something like "You'll grow a beard and take in stray animals".

I thought it was clever at first, now it grates on my nerves.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

William Talman ("Hamilton Burger"). Yeah, I remember those spots, too, and those also stopped me from ever wanting to smoke. He wasn't on his death bed -- he was leaning against a desk, wearing a suit, and saying, "I'm in the biggest fight of my life right now, bigger than any courtroom battle I ever had on TV," or words to that effect. Sad spot, but he was a brave guy to say that on camera.

But seeing people gasping, with tubes up their noses, and machines pumping and wheezing... Naaaa, I'm out of the room. Same thing with those magazine ads for the poor children in foreign countries born with cleft palates. I have great sympathy for charities, especially nowadays when people aren't giving as much as they used to, but visually-repellant ads like that drive me away.

20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..... Weeeeeeeeeee......!

Yeah, those bug the hell out of me!

Also the Aflac duck commercials bug me too, especially when Gilbert Gottfried used to be the voice.

21. Metralla

Post #94 - sorry I did not look that far back.

22. Metralla

I don't remember the commercials, but thanks to both of you for jogging my memory - I used to love that guy in Perry Mason as a kid, watching that show with the family.

23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Any of the Geico commercials. Kill me now.

24. clayton

clayton Senior Member

After 911 call 411 pain and ask for Gary, that one has me pushing the button for a different station every time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.