You can rent/check out DVDs and Blu-Rays for free at the library!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris_G, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris_G

Chris_G Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone. Go to your local library and you can check out movies for free. I canceled my Netflix service just for this. The only thing is that the discs can get a little scratched up, but you can't be FREE rentals. They get new releases just like rental stores. Anyone else use the library for free movies?

sgtmono likes this.
  2. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Not only do libraries not have as good a selection of dvds as Netflix (or the number of other online providers), they are (as you said) often in poor shape.

While it may not be a bad place to find an occasional dvd worth checking out, I seriously doubt it's worth replacing Netflix etc. with your public library.

And your tax dollars are what keeps public libraries operational, so you're paying for their services already - enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  3. Chris_G

If that's the case, might as well use them. I only got 2 movies a week with Netflix, but the library I can get up to 6 a week. And besides, a lot of the movies on Netflix I didn't rent because of the content. So it was a waste of money after a while.

4. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

We went the opposite direction -- checked out DVDs and BDs from the library for over 15 years, and just got Netflix this year. There was never enough left to choose from at the library to get two new (to us) titles to watch every weekend with the kids. We still check in at the library every few weeks to see if there is something to add into the Netflix mix.

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Last time I checked, I think my library only had like one blu-ray in their entire system, but tons of DVDs. It's kind of hard to go back to SD now, so I don't check out the DVDs.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Gets dark at night too.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I just binge watched 4 season of the 2004-2009 Battlestar Galactica thanks to the library system. Brilliant science-fiction series! Yes, I take advantage of the library system!

mikeyt likes this.
  8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It's amazing how not many people realize this. The library has had this available forever.

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Furthermore, if your library doesn't have what you want, chances are, a library in your county's system will. I've requested DVDs, Blu-rays and books from other libraries countless times and had them shipped to my library. I rarely have a problem with defective DVDs.

Olompali, Malina and mikeyt like this.
  10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I don't watch much in the way of dvd/BD, but on the rare occasions when I do, they are typically from the library, and I've never had a problem with one being scratched to the point of not playing.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

And you can rent CD's too! It's a magical place.

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Heck yeah. I go online and access the data base of my Library, mostly searching for On-Order items - then placing a hold. This way, I'm often getting a brand new DVD, and they email me when it's ready for pick-up. What's not to like?

Benno123 and mikeyt like this.
  13. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Luckily we have a library with a huge inventory of cds, dvds and some blu-rays. We cut the cord over 4 years ago and haven't regretted it one bit. I still purchase sacds, AF discs, etc..., but my library is very friendly and accessible.

14. sunsetandgower

sunsetandgower Forum Resident

I've been using the public library system as a source for CDs on & off for years

15. Chris_G

Excellent! This is our tax dollars being put to good use. LOL! I wish I would have known about checking out movies at the library sooner. I assumed that the only videos they had were educational ones. But to find Transformers 4 in the Blu-Ray section was awesome!

16. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I have never checked that out. Thanks for the tip.

17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've been using my library for many years! Haven't bought a book in a long time, stopped buying comics a while ago but still regularly scratch that itch thx to the library! Oddly enough, I've never borrowed a DVD. But man, do I borrow CD's like crazy! I know it's wrong but I've burned SO many discs! I figure they'll be gone soon anyway, used to be able to borrow LP's back in the day!;)

18. Chris_G

I'm sure many people borrow the CDs and rip them or copy them. There's no way to stop it, since it's free music basically.

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I can find almost anything I'm looking for, CD, DVD or BluRay, from my library. I request it, and they find the branch that has it and send it to the branch in my neighborhood. I have 2 blurays on my shelf right now to watch.

Only problems are long wait lists for new popular items, and how poorly people take care of the older ones. Not uncommon to find something so scratched it is unplayable.

sgtmono likes this.
  20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've been using the library to listen to music since they had vinyl albums & watching movies since the were mainly on VHS.

I've used a service called ILL (Inter Library Loan). You can get something from elsewhere in your state (even another State).

Darryl

Benno123, mikeyt and Encuentro like this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Where there's a will (MPAA/RIAA), there'll be a way. Wonder if libraries get DMCA notices.

22. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Be warned: you can check out a DVD from the library any time you like, but you can never leave.

--Geoff

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Only in California.

24. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I'm not sure if this happens in your country, but in my local Melbourne library system you can send an email to them, asking them to purchase something like a book, CD or movie. It costs $1 to reserve it if they buy it. I've done it a few times. They don't always do it, but they have ordered things I've requested. Tax dollars at work people!

greelywinger likes this.
  25. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

All depends on the quality of your library network. The South Central Wisconsin Library System easily rivals Netflix.

Even factoring in wait times, I was able to watch the most recent episodes of Mad Men and Dr Who on blu-ray courtesy of the library long before they were available to stream on Netflix.

I've found many mainstream movies that are simply not available on Netflix, but there are multiple copies in my library network readily available to check-out. For a whole darn week!

The selection at Linkcat puts Netflix to shame!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.