Your Best Deals! (aka Proud Moments)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl diehard, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

This thread was inspired by what price you have gotten a particular release for, compared to the price that many sellers perceive it to be worth.

My example is this one I just won the bid on and received today.

The Move/The Move & Shazam (2 on 1) , Japan release, 1989

It's for auction on ebay for 75.00 US.

I won a bid on the same disc for 9.99 US, plus 5.00 shipping.

Quite a difference!

What purchases have you made at way below the market value.:thumbsup:

2. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

This one is right up there for me:

[​IMG]

Of course when you count the many things I paid too much for...it all balances out.

3. cparamo

cparamo Active Member

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme orig. US Impulse pressing: $3

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue mono six-eye Columbia label: $1

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman UK Island pink i label: $4

4. bumper

bumper Forum Resident

DCC The Doors (first album) at 1/2 Price Books for $7.99.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

From this past January:

6. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Dunno about WAY below cost but.......
    My best deal lately was this George Frideric Handel 'Joshua' Oratorio in 3 Acts 2CDs
    $12.00 shipped off ebay....used like new.....even on Amazon....cheapest used price is $21.95.
    New it's $45 or more

[​IMG]

7. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Amazon Marketplace:

$6.48 Tony Bennett-Forty Years: The Artistry of Tony Bennet
    $4.54 Ray Charles-Uh Huh: His Greatest Hits
    $18.25 Miles Davis-Cookin' (DCC)
    $5.92 Miles Davis-Workin' (DCC)
    $5.97 Hollywood Rocks (Although i guess you can still get it for this price. I still think it's a deal)
    $6.37 Waylon Jennings-Dreaming My Dreams (DCC)
    $9.97 Oscar Peterson-Live at the Blue Note (Box, can still get)
    $4.49 Steely Dan-Aja (original Japan for US)
    $9.97 George Strait-Strait out the Box

SecondSpin/Wherehouse.com:

$2.01 Ray Charles ~ Ray Charles Live [Atlantic]
    $3.96 Ray Charles ~ Genius of Ray Charles
    $6.78 Herbie Hancock ~ Mwandishi: The Complete Warner Bros
    $12.36 Joe Henderson-Milestone Years

Here:

$5.00 Peter Gabriel-Security (WG Target)

The End:

$3.33 Mastodon-Crack the Skye
    $3.33 SLEEPYTIME GORILLA MUSEUM - In Glorious Times

eBay:

$13.00 Louis Armstrong-Hot Fives and Sevens (JSP)
    $16.50 Ella Fitzgerald-Sings Gershwin Songbook (Drake)
    $6.49 Lightin' Hopkins-Broken Hearted Blues (SACD)

Amazon proper:

$5.00 Alice in Chains-Black Gives Way to Blue

CD WOW:

$10.00 DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - COMPLETE A'S & B'S

Discorama Overstock:

$8.99 Lady Gaga-The Fame Monster [Deluxe]
    $3.99 Passion Pit - Manners

Yourmusic:

$59.90 Hank Williams-The Complete Hank Williams

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Walked into a local store and there in the new arrival bin was (repeat over & over as needed)...

The Beatles: Early UK Y/B 'Sold in' / tax stamp stereo Parlophones, in flip back laminates with Emitex sleeves, all VG++/NM: WTB, AHDN, Help, RS - $29 each

Caravan's first 5 albums - NM 1st UK Deccas 1970-74 except the first 1969 MGM Verve LP, which was the 1976 reissue. $7.00 a piece I recall.

3 'RL' Led Zep II's in NM - one with the shrink and brown tracklist sticker still on it, $8 each and $15 for the one with shrink.

Fairport Convention / Liege & Lief + Free / self titled - 1st UK pink islands in VG++ for $1 ea

Fairport's first six UK albums in NM, from the Polydor debut (1967) through pink islands ending with a pink rim Angel Delight - $100 BIN

A quad of NM UK 1st pressing Fleetwood Mac's - self titled + Pious Bird of Good Omen on Blue Horizon, Then Play On + Kiln House on Reprise - $75 BIN.

A guy I know plucked 1st UK Mono Columbia/EMI's of Pink Floyd's Saucerful and Pretty Things S.F. Sorrow, both in true NM, out of a new arrival bin for (iirc) $10 to $15 each. He ebay'd the Saucerful and got I think $900-ish.

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:eek: Where'd you buy those?

10. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

How about an opposite post for a change-up? When CDs came out 20 some years ago I got rid of my MOFI Beatles and Stones vinyl boxes. Took 'em all over NYC used stores, and none had any interest. This was before the internet of course. Finally got a $75 trade credit from a place for both boxes. Hold the applause...

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Atomic in Burbank. That was the first and last time I've ever seen DVD-A's there...they didn't know what they had, I'm sure.

12. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

A couple of years ago I lucked into Grand Funk Railroad On Time. Japanese Pastmasters CD. The bidding started at 5.99 US and I won it at 8.50 US. I was prepared to pay a lot more than that. But what a great deal.

Also was able to pick up Genesis SEBTP, early Virgin/Charisma CD. It was posted on GEMM for 5.99 US. And 2 bucks shipping.:thumbsup:

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I've done very well on the Amazon Marketplace in recent months. These are deals that were posted here. Many bargains came from Newbury Comics, such as Keepnews Collection CDs and Telarc SACDs for $1.99-$3.99.

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Still sealed MFSL The Wall- 35.99... still have the long box.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I try to make anything I buy a deal. Too many to mention...But here's the latest. Got this very rare Toscanini box from Amazon Marketplace for $15 shipped:

Attached Files:

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The last 18 months have been great for cheap CDs, there was the Amazon box set giveaway where my favourite of several was the Wes Montgomery complete Riverside set for £20 or whatever it was, I've also had a few good cheap Jazz sets from Newbury Comics and only last week got the Queen "Crown Jewels" box set for £2.42, and I'm waiting on the "Complete Motown Number 1s" which if it turns up was £1.75, both from Amazon market place. Having a branch of Fopp in this city is great, the Jimi Hendrix CD box set for £15, a pile of Japanese replica LP sleeve issues at £3 each, a 100 or so Blue Notes, (not all RVGs), at £3 a time and a couple of hundred Reggae CDs for £2 and £3, HMV.com provided a Miles Jack Johnson metal spine set for £9.99, second hand I've picked up a couple of Bear Family boxes for about £20 each and only last week got the original issue of the Columbia Billie Holiday set sealed for £15.

I now realise why I'm broke, but it's been a fantastic year for cheap CDs.

17. No problem, it was the laughter I was having difficulty holding.

Chris

18. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

I found about 60 MFSL CD's at the local goodwill over a 3-day period. $4 each. They also had a Grateful Dead Fillmore Box Set for $15. Here's a link to the FS thread where I sold them all as a lot and told the story of finding them. Think I got about $300 for the dead box.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=143677

19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

we have a winner! :D

20. I must say that is the best deal by far I have ever heard of.

I was delighted to purchase a few Soundstage Blu-ray titles for $5 each from a post here last week. I often find a CD worth a dollar I want at garage sales and pay a dollar for it but rarely find a used CD worth more than garage sales prices anywhere.

Chris

21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

A very nice vinyl copy of LZ II/ RL pressing for $10.

Which I sold here when unemployed and wish I didn't.

I will never find another.

22. Justin

Justin Forum Resident

I'm clearly not going to the right Seattle record stores. I rarely see vintage imports, but when I do they're priced, at best fairly, but usually pretty high.

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

ELP's LP first album, minty, $1 at goodwill.

A pair of Sansui AS-100 MINT speakers, $9.98 at the same goodwill. They sound outrageous! Bought them for the garage and once I heard them...they are all cleaned up in the living room now!

Just got a mint copy LP of Alice's Resturaunt, $16, and well worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :>)

Got a pair of 23' each Sansui 'high-fidelity' professional speaker cables from a guy in Ireland, $10 plus $25 shipping. Super Score, and he was glad 'I' got em!

Got about 50 brand new MFSL CDs for $15 each in San Francisco when MFSL was closin out. Just lucky and at the right city at the right time.

And a bunch of really good LPs in minty shape for about $1-3 each. A work in progress.

Got a pink floyd box set, the one with the book and the cds that look like the prism when all put together for free! From a friend.

Got a Fender Vibro Champ Amp, blackface, in mint-like new- shape for $50

Picked up a Fender Precision Base Elete guitar in darn near mint shape for $400. Just some belt buckle scrapes on the back. Custom paint isn't broken.

Brother gave me a framed autographed BB King poster. Super Cool!

Did give my brother an Gibson L-50 in nice shape, he pawned it. That was a darn nice hollow body guitar toooooooo. Jazz.

Got a factory fresh Fender Lap Steel with perfect like new case for $40. You could smell the factory! Sold it, wish I didn't. That was a mistake.

Got a Conn 10M sax for $25.

Got one of the 10 best guitar amplifiers ever made (says the tube amp book), a Fender blackface, forgot the name. $100. Gave it to my brother for free, he's the musician in the family!

And...glad we ain't talkin about losses here!!!!!!! LOL UGH. Had a few of them too.

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

All the above guitars are 50-60s except the fender base: 1982 or 83.

Got a 1965 or so Gibson Melody Maker 6 string for $50, jet black, in real nice shape. Got it totally restored electronically for $250 from a famous guitar luthier. It's a nasty machine.

Won a JCV boombox for $1.00 raffle ticket!!!! (but we won't talk about he other $300 I lost in the other raffles! LOL

Got a kickin Deep Purple Live CD that I've never seen again anywhere for $3 at Wallgreens at Virgina Beach. Loaned it to my friend...he say's he lost it. It's his now. LOL, that's ok, he loves Deep Purple!!!!!!

Bought a Sony amp, 1979, middle of the line, at Circuit City for $300 I think it was. A regular sales price but what a great sounding amp!!!! Really glad I got it and it never skips a beat! Must be a fluke. That amp KICKS and sounds simply wonderful. It's a GREAT amp!!

Got a 'factory fresh' pair of 1970 Sansui SP-2000 speakers for $75!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got em in the closet for a later date!! In origional boxes, all paperwork, not a fingerprint on em.

Got a 1982 or 81 Fender Stratocaster, sunburst, for $300. It was made in japan when Fender couldn't make quality guitars anymore cause they forgot how, after CBS, so they contracted Japan to make em cause they were making perfect copies already. It was super fine. Sold it for $900. And again, wish I would of kept that one. Like...really. Mint shape.

Got a standup base for super cheap in really nice shape. Sold it for a very handsome profit. Should of checked into it deeper. Screwed up. It was something super special I found out later. Took a beating on that. It was beyond special. Another: oh well.....

And the list goes on and on and on. Used to own a used vintage music store till it went broke. Couldn't compete with the garbage stuff they sell now-a-days.

And I had some super JBL speakers, big cabs, and big tweet horns on top. Should of kept that too. But man was that a big set up. Keep it where?????????? haha

And I had a Bose Professional guitar amp, mono, weighed a ton. Super powerfull. I mean...super. Took 2 people just to pick it up. It was beyond heavy. It was just the power amp. For guitar. Sold that for a profit but wish I would of kept it. Always wondered how that would of been for a mono music sound system. ??? I know one thing for sure, you could blow your house apart with that one!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha. It was made for the concert stage type equipment.

Picked up about 5 LPs new in Japan in the 80s. Very special albums, and I kind of knew it too. Didn't buy more, should of. Worth $150+ each now. One goes for $225.

And again: glad we ain't talkin about losses here!!!!!!! LOL UGH. Had a 'few of them' too. But it all works out in the wash.

It was fun to talk about all this!!!!! Thanks guys!!

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well, my latest superb bargain actually turned up today, a new sealed copy of the Hitsville USA Motown Number 1s box set for £0.51 or about 76 Cents for American readers, you've gotta love Amazon Marketplace.:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.