Your fastest Broadband Internet access at home: DSL, cable, satellite, ....?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AdamCalifornia, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgallupe

wgallupe Forum Resident

So, All of you have more than one broadband service? Why would you do that? Not being a wise guy, just don't know what I'm missing.

2. Duggeh

Duggeh Forum Resident

I think that you're picking up something thats not there rather than missing something which is.

3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I am cheap, DSL :o

4. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Stationary wireless. It's the best I can get, 2 Mbps on the best days. We only had dialup until a couple of years ago, and I only live 15 minutes from the state capital.

5. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

FiOS 100 MB/s encrypted government installed connection for work

Cable 5 MB/s home network (Rogers)

On rare occasion I will use the work connection for something personal, but for the most part, I rely on the stable but obscenely pricey Rogers connection. To put Rogers into perspective, think of AT&T as your favourite teddy bear from childhood and Rogers the scariest monster from your worst nightmares.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Evil Time-Warner Cable here (aka Roadrunner), 25Mbps down, 5Mbps up. Tried to upgrade to their superfast so-called 50Mbps service, but got bad throughput -- lots of dropped packets. Inept, incompetent, and bungling.

I dream of FiOS...

7. JeffCullen

JeffCullen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    ...and this is over 5.2GHz 802.11n from the opposite end of my apartment :D

8. Parhelion

Parhelion Forum Resident

Same for myself. $54.95 monthly from Bell Canada for 3Gb max bandwidth. Better than dial-up though.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For me, Comcast Cable budget internet. Reliable, reasonably fast, reasonable data allowance. Up until 4 months ago, had Earthlink Dialup. Comcast, cheap, reliable and good for $20 a month. 250 GB data allowance.

10. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

I've got a screaming service here:

[​IMG]

On a good day, email is faster than the USPS! That is, on a good day.

There are many things I love about living smack dab in the middle of nowhere. Internet service is not one of them.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Where do you live in Texas?

I get ~17Mbps at home, which is fine. But work rocks!

[​IMG]

12. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

Yikes!

I live about an hour's drive southeast of Austin. No cell phone service either. In fact, I'm lucky I get water piped in here. People on the other side of the road don't get water.

I've got an outdoor music listening spot set up. Sometimes the cows next door will stand at the fence and stare at me when I've got tunes on. I prefer to think they like it, but in reality they're most likely thinking WTF?

13. Parvati

Parvati I'm neither male, nor can I sing

That sounds like heaven to me.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You must live close to La Grange.

I don't envy your weak internet, but do me a favor. Go outside tonight and have a good look up at all the stars for a while. Here in Dallas, we see about 5 of them if we're lucky. Light (and air) pollution sucks.

15. murga

murga Forum Resident

on speedtest.net i get 3.65 mbps,but it can easily go up 5 mbps for download and that is just fine for me.for that speed and flat package it's about 22.5$ a month.

16. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

So this happened today:

[​IMG]

17. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

Same as mine. Except the decimal point has shifted.

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My speeds increased since this thread started. I moved. New place has good speed.
    Right now with laptop wi-fi Speedtest says
    Download: 75.33 Mbps
    Upload: 69.92 Mbps

Fast enough. In the evenings it can get up to near 100 Mbps for upload and download.
    $40 per month, which includes a landline phone. No TV. No cable.

19. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

60Mbps down, 10Mbps up.

Comcast Business Class (no download cap)

20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I get broadband across my phone line to my router. Thereafter, it goes wirelessly to my tablet, my phone and Apple TV, or via homeplugs to my amp, TV, PS3 and universal player.

My old contract with my former ISP just ended and I've switched to a cheaper option. My line speed has gone down but not noticeably for my needs. It still runs Amazon and Netflix without a hitch and if anything is more stable.

Best of all it works out for the year at around £150 or so. That was about three months with my old provider and for a poorer service.

Download speed is around 17Mbps and around 6 the other way.

21. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

A good thing about living in Paris. There are about 4 or 5 companies offering fiber internet. They all offer cell phone plans too. With the relatively cheap cell phone plans me and my girlfriend have we get the fiber internet/cable tv service for free.

A big change from living in the U.S. where my choice was comcast. And that was it, And the prices showed that they were the only game in town

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  22. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Wish I had more uplink, but I'm happy to have service this good in a medium sized (100kish) town in the south...

[​IMG]

23. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not bad for it being free

jupiterboy likes this.
  24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

With that new tier service I get 2000 gigs a month cap. They have a 3000 gig cap offering but I don't think it's in my area.

25. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

2TB should be enough. Mine is unlimited, but given that I have three kids and even the three year old knows how to stream TV shows to the iPad, that's probably a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.