Your favorite Charles Mingus album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yojimbo, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yojimbo

yojimbo New Member Thread Starter

I've only heard a few songs by him, and I'm not sure what to buy. Maybe if I see your favorites, it will give me an idea of where to start. :help:

2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Well, I've only got one - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - but it's one of the most wonderful albums I've ever heard. Not sure if it's a good place to start, but it's a good place to find yourself. :)

Bananas&blow likes this.
  3. mtodde

mtodde New Member

Mingus Ah Um...far & away his best as a leader to me.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

:agree:

5. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

There's SO many great ones. I'd never claim the list below to objectively be "his best," but they're personal favorites:

Mingus Ah Um (Columbia) - start here. Not nearly his best IMHO - despite a few absolutely stunningly perfect tunes. After you explore more of his stuff, you will likely realize it's a very "inhibited" sounding Mingus - track down some of the wilder "Better Git It In Your Soul" type tunes on other Mingus records (e.g. "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting") and you'll realize what I mean, they make "Better Git It..." sound like Sunday school. Still, no denying the universal appeal of this one, great entry point

Tijuana Moods (RCA/Victor) - all-around (playing, arranging, fearsome power and wildness), the greatest Mingus date

Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus (Candid) - simply awesome, from a pure improvisational standpoint, his greatest. The original recording quality isn't great, unfortunately, but it's good enough to hear the genius

Three (United Artists) - fantastic way to hear Mingus' bass prowess

Oh Yeah (Atlantic) - "gutbucket jazz," maybe not his most sophisticated but probably my personal favorite for sheer fun. And Mingus is on piano (and hollerin') no less - not bass (with Doug Watkins holding down bass duties with aplomb). Wild.

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (Impulse!) - nothing all that new here, but the renditions of many core Mingus tunes are just gorgeous, with Charlie Mariano's soaring alto really carrying the day on several

The Great Concert of Charles Mingus (Verve) - favorite live recording

6. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

My favorite too but I have many more of his albums to hear yet. By the way, everything I've heard of his is pretty great.

7. dosjam

dosjam Forum Resident

I could never have a number 1 Mingus album - like Doc said there are so many great albums. Since you're just getting into it go with Blues & Roots. The jazz gospel blues.

8. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Totally agree with DrJ's great post. Mingus Ah Um is also a particular highlight for me. Another not mentioned yet is his album with Duke Ellington, Money Jungle: he's great in that too.

9. mtodde

mtodde New Member

Money Jungle is wonderful. I listened to the Classic reissue tonight.

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady' NEVER gets old.

drfindley likes this.
  11. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

East Coasting

12. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I concur.

13. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Black Saint and Ah Um...and the Atlantic albums are good too...hell, it's all good with Mingus.

14. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I like Blues and Roots as well. Not sure how to describe it but it has a very exuberent atmosphere.

15. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

My first and favourite Charles Mingus album is Blues And Roots. "The jazz gospel blues", indeed. Mingus Ah Um is excellent, too. If anyone ever complains that they have a problem with all the tracks sounding alike on a jazz album, just have them listen to Mingus Ah Um. So much variety, all excellent!

16. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Buy Ah Um 1st then Blues and Roots then Black Saint And The Sinner Lady and youve got his 3 essential albums imo. you can then work through his other Atlantic ones from the late 50's like Picanthropus Erectus and The Clown and after that get the Black Saint companion Mingus Mingus Mingus . genius!

17. jblock

jblock Senior Member

My favorite is Right Now: Live at the Jazz Workshop, a small group date from 1964.

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Tijuana Moods for me. My absolute favorite, nothing comes close.

19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

My favorite as well.:righton:

20. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Absolutely. And if you like it, check out Mingus Dynasty, which is very much in the same style.

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Same here :righton:

22. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Another vote for Mingus Ah Um.
    But here are two more favorites: Mingus Revisited on Limelight and the complete Candid recordings from Mosaic.

23. The first Mingus I ever heard was "BLUES & ROOTS" and I was immediately hooked for life!

To this day, I recommend this title to customers asking where they should start with Mingus.

Its never dissappointed.

24. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

My fave? Well, as much as I like to listen to Ah Um or Oh Yeah, I tend to put on Mingus Plays Piano a whole lot more. Admittedly, a disc of Mingus playing solo piano (‘spontaneous compositions and improvisations’, as it says on the cover) may not be on anyone’s essential Mingus list, but for fans of this artist, it shows off a side of him that the big stomping records tend to overshadow. Who expected a LP of tender piano playing -- showing more than a bit of an Art Tatum influence -- from Mingus in 1963? To my ears, it ranks right up there with Bill Evans in terms of lyricism, and it remains a record I never tire of hearing. Ultimately, for those of you who know and love the big side of Mingus, this record will give you a solid picture of his more contemplative side.

25. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Agreed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.