Your favorite Elvis Costello songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by quentincollins, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THe funniest part of your comment is that there are SO MANY excellent songs on 'Goodbye' even though they are atrociously recorded. "The Only Flame In Town" and "The Comedians" comes immediately to mind.

The exceptional Elvis and Nick Lowe duet of "Baby It's You" is an outtake from the era.

- - -

My favourites? I have an autographed copy of 'Out Of Our Idiot' hanging over my desk at work. 'Taking Liberties' aka 'Ten Bloody Marys' is exceptional, my two favourite Elvis albums are b-side compilations, wouldn't you know it!

Beloved tracks of any and all albums:
    "Poor Fractured Atlas", "Love For Tender", "Clean Money", "New Amsterdam", "Strict Time"
    "New Lace Sleeves", "Party Girl","Chemistry Class" (the Elvis Goes To Washington" live version is particularly amazing.), "Two Little Hitlers", "Talking In The Dark", "The Impostor"
    his recording of "I've Been Wrong Before" is jaw dropping amazing.
    "Lip Service", I prefer the mix with the split guitars, the wrong one was on the Ryko 'This Years Model'.
    "Suit Of Lights", "You Little Fool", "Heathen Town", and last but not least: "Imperial Bedroom"

2. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Possesion was stuck in my head for something like two to three years. There are numerous others that I could name.

3. Arthur

Arthur Forum Resident

Red Shoes
    Less than Zero
    Waiting for the End of the World
    Accidents Will Happen
    Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down
    Chelsea
    High Fidelity
    Good Year for the Roses

I'm sure more will come to me.

4. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

"THE OTHER SIDE OF SUMMER!"

He had been threatening to do a cover of "Wonderful" by The Beach Boys for some time, so it was quite interesting to hear his homage to be on the brighter side of their work - and boy did it work! And what a great single!

5. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

I agree that there are a lot of choices for Elvis fans, but every once in a while I have to pull out the "Americathon" soundtrack just to hear "Crawlin' to the USA". I also like the live version of "The Imposter" on the "Concert For Kampuchea" lp. Let's not forget "Alison" And "Watching the Dectectives" live versions on the 7" that came with Armed Forces.

Other than that, what everyone else said!!

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I've only gotten into EC in the past year or so, somebody kick me for waiting so long!! :D

Favorites for me so far include:

Less than Zero
    The Beat--man this one's genius
    (I Don't want to go to)Chelsea--ditto
    (The Angles wanna wear my) Red Shoes
    Radio, Radio
    This Town

7. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Clubland
    Watch Your Step
    The Other End of the Telescope
    I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
    Party Girl
    Radio, Radio
    Pump It Up
    Red Shoes
    :edthumbs:

8. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

I Want You
    So Like Candy
    Alison
    Shipbuilding
    God Give Me Strength

9. mal content

mal content Guest

I was able to narrow it down to a few, but sure I forgot some:
    This Year's Girl
    Accidents Will Happen
    Alison
    Oliver's Army
    Pump It Up
    Green Shirt
    (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea
    Tiny Steps
    Big Tears
    Lipstick Vogue
    New Amsterdam
    (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
    New Lace Sleeves
    Two Little Hitlers
    Hoover Factory
    King Horse
    Girls Talk
    No Action
    The Beat
    Night Rally

10. IlovePolka

IlovePolka New Member

My favorite Elvis Costello Song

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the great thread...wow, I was reading through it with baited anticipation hoping that someone would mention MY favorite Elvis song.

Has anyone heard Elvis Costello duetting with Nickleback in a beautiful rendition of The Battle Hymn of the Republic? It's haunting...Costello's vocals and Nickleback's hard electric backing. Does anyone know if it is available in 5.1?

It's on the extended version of the Armed Forces albulm (it's a hidden track in the Phillipeans release).

There is also an outtake of him and Nickleback hacking around with Yes We Have No Bananas...a song from the 1920s.

I LOVE ELVIS..not t o mention Polka.

11. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Ever since seeing this thread, I've meant to respond, although knowing that it would be difficult to whittle down to a list of ten or so. Pulled out all the EC discs tonight and realized I just can't do it. The quality of his albums and songwriting is so consistently high, I ended up feeling like I had no basis for selecting individual songs. While I have compiled EC CD-R's in the past, I have done them soley based on singles/hits/charts, etc., not ever even trying to make stabs at my "favorites". So this is one giant cop-out from me.

I do have to say that Painted From Memory remains my favorite Costello album; it never fails to move me. And I tend to believe that EC has actually improved as his career progressed, even though his ability was already pretty fully-formed on his debut album. In that regard, despite all the youthful enthusiasm and energetic glory, I don't get back to the pre-Imperial Bedroom days very often anymore. So the first things that pop in my head when people discuss Costello are the Painted from Memory album, songs like So Like Candy and Couldn't Call it Unexpected No. 4, most of King of America, etc. Oh yeah, those and his absolutely lovely wife. :love:

12. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Hello All!

If you can find it, check out Elvis cut at "God only Knows" with the Brodsky Quartet. It's phenomanal IMHO

13. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

I think everything he and the band recorded from 'My Aim is True' to 'Trust' is brilliant. 'Imperial Bedroom' was very good too, but things started to change around that time. (I could never stand looking at the pic of him wearing that dumb straw hat on the back of the lp :)

A few of my faves:

Crawling to the USA
    Just a Memory
    Girls Talk
    Two Little Hitlers
    Riot Act
    You'll Never Be a Man
    New Lace Sleeves
    Big Sister's Clothes
    Sad About Girls
    The Loved Ones
    The Element Within Her
    God's Comic

B/F

14. butch

butch Senior Member

Langer and Winstanley ruined those songs on Goodbye Cruel World arrangement wise and sonically the songs weren't that great either!

15. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

deep dark truthfull mirror
    how to be dumb
    call it unexpected #4
    20 percent amnesia
    the beat
    so like candy
    toledo
    i'll think of more later!

16. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

what he said:edthumbs:

17. butch

butch Senior Member

Imperial Bedroom is one of my top three Costello albums of all time.Things did change ....Elvis was in a transformational mode.He was an angry young man becoming the Cole Porter of his time.I didn't mind the straw hat!!!

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've got the same problem. I've been a big fan since day one, and I can't decide on a decent "favorite" list

19. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Fish and Chip Paper
    From A Whisper To a Scream
    Possession - I think that's the one with my favorite lyric of all time: "You lack lust, your so lackluster. Is that all the strength you can muster." That line has been stuck in my head since the first time I heard it.

20. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

a few other choice lyrics:
    - somewhere in the Quizling clinic there's a short term typist taking seconds over minutes (from Green Shirt )
    - should I step on the brakes to get out of her clutches? (from New Amsterdam )

21. reechie

reechie Senior Member

So Like Candy
    Brilliant Mistake
    Lip Service
    Pump It Up
    (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding
    London's Brilliant Parade
    Sulky Girl
    Man Out Of Time
    I Want You

Where do you stop?

22. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

"He's acting innocent and proud, still you know what he's after
    Like a matador with his pork sword, while we all die of laughter"
    -- "I Hope You're Happy Now" (Blood and Chocolate)

23. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I revise my statement! I love that song, but I forgot about:

"Pills and Soap"
    "The World and His Wife"
    "... And in Every Home"

Oops. I just think that "The Other Side of Summer" was wrongfully ignored and a bold departure. My additional aforementioned favorites are more "Costellowy" and deserve the mention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.