Your favorite Mike Pinder written Moody Blues Songs ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Glenn Christense, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block Thread Starter

I really like some of Mikes songs and I like his voice, not to mention his Mellotron work. The band was never really the same after he left IMO.

I've kept his song choices to the Classic Seven albums. I have an "other" option just in case I goofed and missed one of his songs. :D
    Which songs of his are your favorites ?

As an aside, I really like his Among the Stars solo release also.

Hep Alien and Hamhead like this.
  2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Most obvious omission, the one that was a British non-LP B-side and should have been a hit: "Simple Game." We didn't get it at all in the States, other than the cover by the Four Tops, until 1974. A Philadelphia Top 40 radio station, WFIL, started playing it off the LP This Is the Moody Blues as a "new" Moodies song, and for a week it was their #1 most requested song. They must have received a cease-and-desist from the label, which likely had no intention of releasing it as a single, because they mysteriously stopped playing it after that.

Hep Alien, Buffalo and Hamhead like this.
  3. Glenn Christense

Yeah, I kept it to songs that appeared originally on the seven albums, so songs that appeared on Prelude and "Mike's Number One" didn't make the cut either.

4. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Not familiar with them all but I really like "Melancholy Man". Have to say that my go version is on side 4 of This is. It's a stunning mix.
    Also agree with Tim about "Simple Game" from side 3...another fantastic song.

Marvin likes this.
  5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I see the logic of cease and desist orders from labels for unreleased songs, like the tape of A Day In The Life that leaked in the spring of 1967, but I doubt that there was one for a song that was officially out on an album. Can't see the legal basis, nor why the label would want to kill airplay. Wouldn't it goose sales of This Is? Maybe the Philly station just decided to stop playing the song.

6. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"The Best Way To Travel" from the band's best album In Search of the Lost Chord.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Lost in the Lost World - a perfect opener to what for all intents and purposes is my favourite Moody Blues album.

Zardok and zen like this.
  8. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Definitely "A Simple Game" for me, too. And I think the existance of the version recorded with Justin Hayward's vocals (available on the In Search of the Lost Chord reissue) is evidence that it was at one time considered for A-side status.

Hep Alien, btomarra and Buffalo like this.
  9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

"A Simple Game",hands down,so good it won a Ivor Norvello Award for itself!

10. mr_mjb1960

Uhh,it's "Lost In A Lost World"...Another great Pinder track,speaks about the horrors of War!

btomarra likes this.
  11. mr_mjb1960

Another is "Dawn Is a Feeling"with that gorgeous Mellotron playing,and Mike singing the bridge of it (Justin sings the rest of it,BTW!)

12. mr_mjb1960

AKA "Thinking Is The Best Way To Travel",as the BBC track states,before Pinder shortened it!

13. mr_mjb1960

Reappearing on the Deluxe of "In Search" as well as one of the "Bonus Tracks" on the 2008 US version of the same CD album,too,at the end of it.

14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Since Mike was only on one more album outside the classic 7 and only had one track from that album you probably could've included that track ("One Step Into the Light")

15. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Dawn Is A Feeling - a great opening for the "Days..." album. Slow and moody and Justins vocal fits perfectly.

Melancholy Man - This seems like a song you love or hate. I disliked it for a long time, although I'm not sure why. I love it now. Supposedly there's 2 acoustic guitars, one played by Hayward the other played by Pinder. Instrumentally this song has a lot of 'space' to it and builds gradually with the addition of the mellotron. For me it seems to paint a vivid picture of "stars falling down" and has some very religious overtones.

Lost In a Lost World - another great opening for the Seventh album. Lyrically it's kinda bleak but it sounds as if the entire band is into this one.

16. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Sorry to be evil, Glenn, and flout the purpose of your thread.

But my answers are:

From the Bottom of My Heart
    Everyday

:D

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. Glenn Christense

You....rebel !:D

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I learned the word "melancholy" as a kid from Pinder's song.

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Voted for So Deep Within You, but I love 'em all. He was The Moodies' secret weapon.

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

"Lost In A Lost World"

21. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Too many to choose from:

Simple Game
    Evening/The Sunset
    The Best Way To Travel
    So Deep Within You
    Have You Heard/The Voyage/Have You Heard
    Out And In
    Sun Is Stlll Shining
    How Is It (We Are Here)
    Melancholy Man

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They don't get a "cease and desist" order in the traditional sense. That is, it isn't a legal document. What they get is a stern lecture from the label telling them that if they don't play nice and stick to the promotion script the label wants, then they won't get goodies and PR tie-ins the next time they want them from the label.

23. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

I don't know if you're being facetious, but this is one of my favorites as well.

24. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Mike Pinder is my favourite "Moody Blue".

Although I love all his Moody Blues' songs, the following are among my favourite Mike Pinder-penned songs:

1. "Have You Heard" suite - this is what I considered among the Moody Blues' very best tracks.
    2. "Dawn Is A Feeling"
    3. "Melancholy Man"
    4. "A Simple Game"

25. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

My absolute favorite is "Out and In" from my absolute favorite MB album, To Our Childrens' Childrens' Children.

But to me, I don't see how a fan of the core 7 couldn't love On the Threshold of a Dream's centerpiece, "Have You Heard? / The Voyage / Have You Heard?" That last section of the album pretty much sums up the classic Moodies to me.

ArpMoog and kevinsinnott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.