Your Favorite Movie Soundtrack Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Livewire91, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David Cronenberg is simply one of my favorite directors. He has been blessed to work with Howard Shore on many soundtracks. Of course, Shore hit big with Lords of the Rings. However, it's his more intimate works that I much prefer. These are such examples.

Crash is simply one of my favorite soundtracks, with jangly guitars and a distant metallic sound which perfectly suits the movies subject matter. It's just a perfect soundtrack.

Videodrome is an earlier work, and it works at the same level as the avant garde pieces on 2001. Lots of experimentation on this one, but it carries itself well.

Naked Lunch sets itself apart by including Ornette Coleman into the mix, playing as only he can. Once again Shore hits the perfect note (sic) with the tone of this one.

It's worth noting that Crash, along with a handful of other soundtracks, have been reissued in a "remastered" version with extra music added. I only have the Crash disc, but based on that I'd stay well away from them. The Crash disc is brickwalled, which seems insane given the market for soundtracks, and the nature of the music. I'm sure they were brickwalled by an auto-bot rather than a person. Get the original discs, which may have less music, but at least you'll want to listen to it more than once.

2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

10. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I think I have to go with Curtis Mayfield - Superfly and the next closest thing is Duke Ellington - Anatomy Of A Murder as most of what I have that I classify Soundtrack are really song accumulations from various soundtracks by the likes of Bernard Hermann and Henry Mancini along with works from movies by Ry Cooder and Mark Knopfler.

Going through the rest of the thread I see a few others I hadn't considered that I like by Miles Davis - Acenseur, The Beatles - Help & Hard Day's Night and a couple more.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

The Harder They Come 1972

Jimmy Cliff
    Toots & The Maytels
    + Many others!

13. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

Zimmer , Morricone, Silvestri, Williams, Elfman... the kings...

But "1492 - Conquest Of Paradise" by Vangelis is for me the real winner

Dune one is also a masterpiece

I also forgot to mention the works of Trent f***g Reznor & Atticus Ross

Crimson Witch and Livewire91 like this.
  14. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

One my nephew reminded me of...by playing it this afternoon
    [​IMG]

15. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a all of the US Hair music (that I am aware of).

Love the play, movie, not so much, wrong director for this project.

But the recording quality of the movie soundtrack is the best of all of them. Although some of them have some nice "live sound" to them.

I have this both on CD and Vinyl. The record is a double album, with a very clean background.

17. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

so many John Barry movie scores could qualify, Quiller, Ipcress, Dances with Wolves. Out of Africa, Zulu - several bonds - but two for me deserve even more special mention, Walkabout ( of course ) and one that goes under the radar, Deadfall, a stonking theme vocal from Dame Shirl and the whole of side two being his Romance for guitar which is a guitar concerto in all but name.

John Barry : Walkabout, Music for the film (1971)

There are many great composers, some of the best are working today, Of course this thread is about soundtrack albums and not just about scores, but on scores, to me Barry & Morricone & Herrman sit at the pinnacle, with Jerry Goldsmith not far behind. Alex North too, they all have a unique sound which is often instantly recognisable even when its something you are unfamiliar with.

18. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

Top list!
    That's pretty much what I'd choose, tho I'd add Stanley Myers, Hugo Montenegro, Francois De Roubaix and Dudley Moore.

19. Stefan66

Stefan66 Well-Known Member

No, not "Lonesome crow". I think I have that one on vinyl. Haven't played it since the 80's probably... Might be interesting to go back to it now. They made a soundtrack for a movie about drug addicts early in their career. I have read about it and have always been curious about it. I liked the Ulrich Roth era of the band but I don't know if that soundtrack was made before he joined or after.

Livewire91 likes this.
  20. HappyFingers

21. HappyFingers

22. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Tangerine Dream
    Soundtrack to the film Miracle Mile

Svetonio and Livewire91 like this.
  23. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

Rock Star
    More

Svetonio and Livewire91 like this.
  24. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member Thread Starter

Could not find it on discogs. Really interesting.

25. afterhours91

afterhours91 Member

Girl 6

Livewire91 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.