Your Favorite Science Fiction TV Series/Mini-Series (any decade)/TV movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Star Trek: The Next Generation-Hit or miss due to the fact that each season was packed with 20+ episodes. Naturally, there are bound to be some duds.
    Star Trek: Discovery-Solid first season.
    Battlestar Galactica (2004-2009)-Epic!
    The X-Files-Wonderfully diverse series. Science fiction, horror, mystery, comedy. The X-Files has it all.
    Firefly-Great science fiction mini-series. :)
    Lost-Can this be considered science fiction? In any event, it's one of the most creative shows ever produced for television. I've watched the entire series three times.

Hadean75 likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's easy for me to answer which are my fave scifi series because they are the ones I chose to include in my permanent video collection/archive.

In no particular order:

The Expanse
    Star Trek - TNG
    Star Trek - DS9
    Star Trek - Voyager
    Farscape
    Babylon 5
    Blake's 7 (for the cheesy acting & Servalan! :))
    Futurama
    The Orville
    Red Dwarf
    Future Man

There are other series I liked, but not enough to archive, as the re-watchability factor wasn't there...

Bender Rodriguez and Hadean75 like this.
  3. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Star Trek - TOS.

jerol

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I forgot to include Black Mirror for some reason. But yeah, Black Mirror. I also enjoyed Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams quite a bit.

Olompali likes this.
  5. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Not mentioned yet, but worthy...

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Too soon cancelled.

6. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

• Star Trek: TNG
    • Firefly
    • The Orville
    • Warehouse 13
    • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (BBC, 1981)
    • Futurama
    • The Langoliers
    • The Secret World of Alex Mack

7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Planet of the Apes" (live action series)
    "Return to the Planet of the Apes" (animated series)
    "Alien-Nation"
    "Star Trek" (the original series)

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

during the 60's there isn't any that I did not like!

9. Michael

really looking forward to the KINO season one on BD of the Outer Limits!

10. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I forgot to add Continuum, Haven, Eureka and Warehouse 13 to my list. I rewatch theses quite a bit.

Also, it looks like I need to start The Orville again based on it being mentioned several times here.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I really liked Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles quite a bit.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Me too, but... The first season was fantastic, Summer Glau knocked it out of the park! The problem was that I think they only had one season's worth of material. The second season was uneven and started to show signs of aimlessness.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Wish they had allowed a short third season to at least close off the cliffhanger (although I think I figured out the resolution).

14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Red Dwarf

In case you missed the news, it was thirty years yesterday that the first episode, "The End", aired.

[​IMG]

nsmith1002 likes this.
  15. Michael

how about Invasion?...really wish they would have continued this...

Solaris likes this.
  16. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I see all the usual suspects getting mentioned, so I'll just throw out an oddball title: The Invaders, from 1967. I saw this as a kid in reruns on our local PBS station late Sunday nights, and I loved it. May not hold up now, but in my little imagination it worked wonders.

Edit: I see @tman53 beat me to it.

How about Kolchak?

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Same here! The big tell was when the human looking aliens were cut, they did not bleed. I've not seen it since childhood, but I doubt it would hold up now...

Like that too, but again, doubt it holds up.

Solaris likes this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'd go for that, but add Quatermass, Babylon 5 (the Claudia Christian years...), Red Dwarf, Mork and Mindy. I have a nostalgic connection with Dr Who, mainly Pertwee and Baker. I find the new stuff - certainly the post-Eccleston shows - desperately mawkish. I haven't seen Stranger Things or Black Mirror, but must get around to them. How about The West Wing? The likelihood of having leadership like that must fit into some utopian strain of sci-fi...

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Fringe was surprisingly good, and I was glad they had an ending that sorta/kinda made sense.

I'm not sure if American Gods qualifies as SF or fantasy, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The recent Legion Marvel TV series was dynamite -- possibly the best thing they've done yet.

I'll put in a vote for the very goofy Joss Whedon FOX show Dollhouse, only because the last few episodes went completely insane and basically crammed more than a year's worth of story ideas in like 4 episodes. It was a treat for me to see a massive amount of story content in 4 hours, as opposed to the usual "10 minutes of good ideas dragged out to 60 minutes." I'm a big fan of shows going in unexpected directions and also not being boring, and this series succeeded at both.

I didn't see a vote for the British series Torchwood, but I enjoyed that show quite a bit and was sad to see it end.

Classics like the original B&W Star Trek, Twilight Zone, and Outer Limits are kind of in a special category by themselves. I certainly think The Prisoner had some SF elements.

I have been floored by the VFX quality in the new Star Trek: Discovery, which is just about at a feature level. I think the writing is uneven, but overall it's pretty good. Altered Carbon has some moments, but too much of it feels like recycled Blade Runner to me. Stranger Things is a fun show all the way through, and to me it's an example of a show that can borrow some ideas and visual style but make them feel new and original in its own way.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Voyageurs!

21. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

MST3K
    Fringe
    Dr. Who
    Orphan Black
    Stranger Things

I'm not sure that MST3K qualifies exactly, but I'll throw it out there.

22. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I don't know why I didn't mention "The Twilight Zone", because I've always thought it was a great show and still do...

"Kolchak: The Night Stalker" is another good one I forgot to mention...

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Hell yeah! And while it may not be there yes, SyFy's "The Expanse" is the first series of that type since the new BSG that I feel has the same potential. If only the seasons weren't so short and far apart.

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've only seen the first season of Babylon5, which I have on DVD. I really liked it. Is the whole series available to stream with any service? I'd like to see the rest, but don't want to buy physical copies of everything.

25. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Gotta go with Superman
    [​IMG]

JoeOnWheels and Alan G. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.