Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I like rockabilly and 50s rock n roll in general but there is a lot of filler and downright dross amongst the gems, Jack Scott though is one of those 1950s rock and rollers who is a real cut above, this stuff is pure class. Really enjoying it so far, awesome sound too. Fabulous!

Kkfan and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  2. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I just wish the Patsy Cline box would get finished and approved for release with all licensing issues settled. I would pay anything for that box!

3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jack Scott is great, but I just wish he had done more upbeat material. The public seemed to want him most for ballads like "My True Love" and "Burning Bridges", so those became his focus.

Cool Christmas single from 1963:

Reader and The Killer like this.
  4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

one of my favourite Jack trax:

5. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Jack Scott live 1961:

:tiphat:

The Killer and Rick Bartlett like this.
  6. GodBlessTinyTim

This recording is almost certainly not from 1961. The song "We Don't Live Here (We Just Love Here)" was written in 1977, so that's probably a good indicator of the actual date. That said, it's still a good show.

Svein Arne and The Killer like this.
  7. Rick Bartlett

the cat is still performing!! still sounding great. why isn't this guy more recognised?

melstapler likes this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

wow! didn't realise he did a new album a couple year ago:

9. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

I'd love that box also, but from prior posts it sounds like the project was cancelled outright and won't be happening anytime soon if at all. Such a shame.

10. Svein Arne

11. The Killer

It’s a really good record, 50 year break since his last album!

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

50 year break! holy moly! I gotta get my hands on that 'Bear' box.... I'm missing out!

melstapler likes this.
  13. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Grammy nominees for Best Album Notes:

01. Arthur Q. Smith: The Trouble With The Truth — Wayne Bledsoe & Bradley Reeves, album notes writers (Various Artists)

02. Big Bend Killing: The Appalachian Ballad Tradition — Ted Olson, album notes writer (Various Artists)
    03. The Complete Piano Works Of Scott Joplin — Bryan S. Wright, album notes writer (Richard Dowling)
    04. Edouard-Léon Scott De Martinville, Inventor Of Sound Recording: A Bicentennial Tribute — David Giovannoni, album notes writer (Various Artists)
    05. Live At The Whisky A Go Go: The Complete Recordings — Lynell George, album notes writer (Otis Redding)
    06. Washington Phillips And His Manzarene Dreams — Michael Corcoran, album notes writer (Washington Phillips)

The Trouble With The Truth (2-CD) | Bear Family Records

14. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. I don't recall the exact breakdown of what was and wasn't able to be released, but was under the impression they had clearance for most, but not all of the material and they didn't want to release the set if it wasn't technically complete. However, I wish they could've released an "incomplete" box set containing everything minus the recordings they couldn't secure the rights to and in the future, (assuming the could secure the rights to the other material), release a supplemental collection containing everything which couldn't previously be issued.

15. Rick Bartlett

my impression was, it was basically completed enough to release, spite a piece or two, everything else was ready
    to go, and at last minute, the whole thing got shot down....
    Hell! I'm sure most of us would have been happy with the accumulated works. :agree:

16. The Killer

More Bear Family excitement in The Killer household.

[​IMG]

17. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Was listening to my 1967 volume from the dim lights, thick smoke and hillbilly music just an hour ago...what a great series that one was (from 1945 to 1970, 26 cd each one packed with 25 to 30 big country song with splendid sound and a booklet second to none in each one cd ) the same can be said with the blowing the fuse series from 1945 to 1960 same method for rhythm and blues...two fantastic collections for sure, they are my favorite bear family releases...

Bemagnus, Reader, jimbo3688 and 5 others like this.
  18. Svein Arne

Lots of videos about these CDs:
    Dim lights thick smoke hits cd bear family - YouTube

Bemagnus likes this.
  19. GodBlessTinyTim

Beautiful! Two questions for once you've sunk your teeth into it: How's the overall sound quality (I know the Elvis stuff is pretty rough), and what years does the set cover?

20. Svein Arne

At The Louisiana Hayride Tonight (20-CD) | Bear Family Records

I have CDs with Elvis on Louisiana Hayride released on SONY/LEGACY/RCA.
    Sound on Elvis recordings from Bear box sounds better than these released by Elvis record company.
    Hank Williams sound great on Bear box.He does not have this sharp sound that is common on Mercury CDs.
    Sound on box will be with tape hiss/noise from discs on some recordings.But thats the way it is with Bear Family.
    They will not destroy the sound by using digital noise reduction to much.Bear family are using this carefully so they do not destroy the sound of the recording.

Be sure that Bear Family has done everything so that the sound is as good as it is possible to restore it.
    Enjoy it.
    :tiphat:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  21. zen

zen Senior Member

22. Svein Arne

melstapler, Rick Bartlett and zen like this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

pulled this one out for a spin today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. The more recent studio album is excellent and there is also a full-band live album Jack released back in the 90s, which I recommend. What I find interesting about Jack is that he basically kick-started the music scene in Detroit and yet Jack only plays a handful of concerts each year. At 81, Jack has aged well in voice and body, reminds me of Chuck Norris.

25. Svein Arne