Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's dangerous. Now you need the other companion boxsets! But this is the greatest of them all, by definition (Jimmie Rodgers and The Carter Family)

Kkfan, Mr. H and The Killer like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

this probably belongs in another thread, but the historian guys here might like this.
    I had no idea that Charlie Daniels recorded his first single in 1960!
    I knew he did session work in the 60's and wrote 'it hurts me' for Elvis.
    who knows whether the wiki discography is complete or not, but here is apparently
    the first single he recorded:

3. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Many famous artists did rock n roll in the 50/60s.

4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Neat! Might be worth posting in Artists who began recording earlier than you thought as well.

Country ones especially.

5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

oh dear, I messed up my post, sorry everybody.

6. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Did you spot that was the B side, the A side is another ‘novelty’ number about dogs having a rock n roll party, even Ol’ Shep’s there - good find though and really interesting, funnily enough I was reading an article about Daniels on the weekend and it kind of covered his career but it didn’t mention this which is an oversight I think.

7. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If Amazon buys EBay, pretty much all music will be sold by only one company, with just a little at independent shops.

9. Svein Arne

You still got this shop:
    CDs | OLDIES.com

10. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think that might be the only US seller I've come across so far. But still out of my price range.

Amazon.co.uk has it listed for £160 now as well. But if Amazon.de doesn't deliver it looks like I won't be getting this set. Looks like an amazing set but once I account for postage and exchange rate I'll be close to $300 Canadian on the set. Just can't do it at that price unfortunately. Fingers crossed Amazon.de comes through.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  12. GodBlessTinyTim

Exactly the same boat I'm in. Either have to wait for Amazon or hope someone sells a used copy for half the proginal price.

eddiel likes this.
  13. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I wonder if our box from Amazon.de will be all crushed...fingers crossed that they aren't

eddiel likes this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Or Bear family establishes decent distribution in all of North America (they used to have it years ago), and the rest of the world for that matter. I bet they are expensive in Japan.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I bought three Bear Family Ten inch record reproductions of Vogue Picture Discs, all still sealed. As the music is pretty lightweight, I may just leave them sealed.

Vogue discs were 78RPM. Does anyone know what speed the Bear Family reproductions are at. If they are 78RPM, are they proper 78 groove width, or microgroove (LP/45 width)

I got these three. Of course, each one had a different picture on the reverse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Killer likes this.
  16. Svein Arne

There is not much left of Ernest Tubb recordshop. If this shop stops then Bear family can start a shop from here.There was not much in that shop in August last year.Said.

melstapler likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I do not think that "country music tourists" have much interest at all in classic country music on Bear Family. The improved distribution in the USA and Canada has to be though importers/mail order distributors, someone besides the current company, MVD

melstapler likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

19. rod

rod Senior Member

They're 45rpm microgroove.

20. GodBlessTinyTim

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Thank you.

Now and then, some independent company issues a 78RPM speed record (such as Michael Hurley on Mississippi Records), but the company itself can not tell me if the groove is proper 78rpm (wide) or "modern" (microgroove as all LPs/45s). Play the record with the wrong stlus, you may damage the record or the stylus or both. I get angry about this. Even the company did not know.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Most played:
    Johnny Burnette Trio (single disc)
    Warren Smith (single disc)
    Gary Shelton Kissin' At The Drive In (single disc)
    Davis Sisters (2-disc)
    Louvin Brothers (box set)
    Ricky Nelson (box sets)
    Acadian All-Star Special (box set)

23. Svein Arne

Whole Lotta Woman - Marvin Rainwater.AVI

Lightworker likes this.
  24. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Always nice to find a Bear Family disc in a thrift store. I bought a couple of other non BF too, obviously all came from the same collector as they have this little index numbering sticker on the spine. Probs another country fan gone to the great honky tonk in the sky. Already have the George and Tammy disc but an old Razor and Tie is always worth picking up as a spare copy.

[​IMG]

25. GodBlessTinyTim

Is it possible that Amazon is waiting for people who preordered the Starday box to cancel their orders before listing it as being in stock? On the one hand the preorder price was way cheaper than the "correct" price of the set, but on the other hand it's hard to imagine a gigantic billion-dollar company like Amazon doing something like that.