Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Stay away from the boxes I want. :wantsome:

The Killer and baptistbusman like this.
  2. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

The SBR complete sessions is terrific and it's great to finally get To Satisfy You on CD although there's no extras or nuffink, bit more rocky than most of his stuff but still very very good. Good old Ace!

melstapler and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe Mychael has confirmed it's one of the artists on this list:

Steve Young
    Guy Clark
    James Talley
    Gary Stewart
    Jerry Reed
    David Allen Coe
    Billy Joe Shaver
    Tompall Glaser

melstapler likes this.
  4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Tompall Glaser
    James Talley or Steve Young.
    They have all been recording since the 60s.

melstapler likes this.
  5. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Richard Weize has mentioned a "R&B in DC" project being in the works. I wonder if that's still in consideration and what it might include. Any thoughts?

He's also mentioned a 2nd historical Calypso box set. I would love to see that - I jut recently purchased the West Indian Rhythm box.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    melstapler likes this.
  6. GodBlessTinyTim

Saw an announcement on BF's site that Laura Lee Perkins passed away last week. Her recorded legacy is small, but great.

Lee Don't Wait Up - Juke Box Pearls (CD) | Bear Family Records

Neat, where was this mentioned?

7. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

(At about 1 minute 30 seconds he mentions a 2nd Calypso and at about 8 minutes he mentions R&B in DC)

8. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

How do you ask BF questions? An email address?

Groovy! How does the sound compare between Capitols and BF?

I've never heard of her until I saw the finale of "Master Of None" and heard this fantastic song I had to lookup.
    It was "Gonna get along without you now" by Skeeter Davis.
    Now I want to get some of her stuff but I am not interested in country music. Is the "Pop Hits Collection" the CD I have to get?

And for my last question... I love Neil Sedaka and want to get the boxed set, but I am not sure I need 3 discs of foreign language songs because I will probably never play them.
    Any comments on this box?
    Also, why not Jan & Dean / Gary Lewis boxed sets with all the original mono and stereo mixes?

melstapler likes this.
  9. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Yes, though probably over 10 years ago---not on file!

javilu77 likes this.
  10. GodBlessTinyTim

They have an online form.

Contact | Bear Family Records

A lot of Skeeter Davis' pop hits have a slight country tinge, but rarely more than that. Her biggest hit:

11. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

fixed.

12. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

:cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing:

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Never trust a man who doesn't like Lightnin' Hopkins and the Tucker sisters.

14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Not overly familiar with her CD comps but most I've seen are heavy on her early stuff which many times hardly qualifies as country.

javilu77 likes this.
  15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

My guesses.

16. GodBlessTinyTim

Lightnin' Hopkins is one of of those blues singers whose discography feels like a mess even though there are many compilations to his name. All I have from him now is a CD of his complete Herald recordings, which are fantastic. This tune in particular is a jaw-dropper:

turnersmemo, melstapler and Kevin55 like this.
  17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Unsure if it's been mentioned (lots of pages in here) but I really liked the sound of the Tages Studio album they reissued last year. I doubt it was analog (since it wasn't mentioned as a selling point) but it sounds fantastic! Plus it came with a dvd of a little film they did to promote the album that features the original mono mixes for the special. The only gripe is that they didn't reproduce the album jacket completely. The back has a little box saying it has the dvd in it and the Bear Family logo is on the cover (not a major concern though).

Mychael likes this.
  18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Well that’s a gaping hole in your musical collection that you should address immediately. Hopkins is a favorite around my house.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  19. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

It's Steve Young and here's my logic, when I first put his name forward on this thread as a potential candidate back in 2016 the comment got a 'like' from Mychael and that is confirmation as far as I'm concerned. Over the course of a recording career from Stone Country in 1968 to his last album in 2007 Steve released around 17 records, if that ain't enough for a box...

melstapler likes this.
  20. GodBlessTinyTim

My blues collection as a whole is a bit patchy. Still missing big names like Little Walter and Albert King, partially because I keep taking detours to check out lesser-known acts like Joe Hill Louis or Hop Wilson. Where would you suggest starting with Lightnin' beyond his Herald stuff?

Hadn't noticed that 'like'. The plot thickens...

Kevin55, The Killer and Mr. H like this.
  21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Well, the Herald stuff is certainly great.

This disc by Ace is crucial:

https://www.amazon.com/Jake-Head-Boogie-LIGHTNIN-HOPKINS/dp/B00000I022/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_8

Ace also put out a nice 2 disc comp that covers most of his career. I think it’s called His Blues.

There are great collections of his Aladdin and Gold Star recordings:

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Ala...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VVV2Q0CW69ZDMDMWRFAH

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Star-Se...rd_wg=1unSX&psc=1&refRID=XB40Z4VRWC7364EF6Q7C

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Star-Se...rd_wg=tRauH&psc=1&refRID=0VAWESCFG512B2AWNP44

I’m also very fond of these recordings from the ‘60’s:

https://smile.amazon.com/Complete-P...+box&dpID=4191YV5JR1L&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

22. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I should note that in the above post I recommend several different releases with different sounds to them. I think the first one will probably be the closest to what you've got already. I definitely suggest trying to give these a listen before buying, unless you're like me and just dive into an artists catalog blindly.

His discography is a complete mess, by the way. He recorded so often for so many different people.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

Thanks, I'll check these out. Rhino also has a two-disc career anthology, but it runs shorter than Ace's His Blues and a few reviewers have complained that the track selections seem sort of random.

Lightnin' Hopkins - Mojo Hand: The Anthology

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I haven’t heard that one, I did, however search the forum here and there are a couple of threads on Hopkins if you’re interested.

25. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

Fantastic News Today From Bear Family Mail Order Section Re- The Korean War Boxset ...

Thank you for your order no. ! @#$%^&*(
    We have good news for you, your order – of 17.02.2018 09:03:04 has been recently shipped to the back of Bourke the invoice and the delivery note with no. 1111111111111 enclosed in the package. Your package has been handed over to our shipment service provider on 11.04.2018 14:47:48 and you will surely receive it soon!