Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Thanks for information.I will buy the box when i find it cheap.:tiphat:[/QUOTE]
    as you can imagine with Bear, the box is amazing, the book alone is worth every penny.
    Amazing quality and information, you'll be impressed when you come across it Sir.

Svein Arne likes this.
  2. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

By the way... – the Lefty box will be a 20-disc set packaged like the Louisiana Hayride box.
    (people are currently listening to/comparing/checking the remastered sound to make sure that everything's correct)

3. Rick Bartlett

how about stirring the pot for Patsy Cline? I'm still bummed big time about that.

4. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

I guess the Bear Family team is sitting this one out, waiting for some people somewhere to retire or leave the music business.

5. Rick Bartlett

yeah I figured half as much lol, meanwhile people like me will be sitting around 'grinding their teeth'......
    What a shame! this box set never came to be (yet). I think Patsy is one of the all time greats, and her
    stuff has not been properly documented in the way Bear knows how to do.
    I am upset, and grumpy. I shouldn't take this stuff personally, but somehow I do.
    I wish I knew what I could do to help make this happen.

6. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Same price as the Louisiana Hayride box?

7. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

It's not even in manufacturing, so no-one knows about the costs...

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If you can give us some names, I can try to get them appointed to Cabinet Secretary positions in our government.

AlmanacZinger and Mychael like this.
  9. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

20 discs of just Lefty?

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The waiting line has already started for the new Lefty Frizzell box.

That is my tent (yellow & orange) first in line. I'm old school. I take "buying on-line" very literally. My wife said she would wait in the virtual on-line line.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  12. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

OK, three discs of Dance Remixes, 1 disc of Shaggy rapping over Lefty backing tracks, 2 discs of Kendrik Lamar "Re-Imaginings" feat. Janelle Monáe, Beyoncé and Sting, and two discs of Elvis Costello, Jack White, Father John Misty and Courtney Barnett adding new and "better" lyrics to classic Lefty songs. :hide:

13. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Darn...I was hoping for the Kamasi Washington instrumental remixes.

Oh well...maybe next time.

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I had the vinyl Bear Family box of Lefty in my hands and ready to buy, when the shop owner told me that Bear Family was going to issue it on CD with more material. So I put it back. I was happy with that decision for many years, but now I really wish I had bought the LP set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

:D

melstapler likes this.
  16. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, I was imagining maybe two or three additional discs, not eight. Figure there'll be live recordings, demos, alternate takes, perhaps alternate mixes (and of course dance remixes and all that).

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

yeah, all of a sudden it makes 'Life's Like Poetry' look like a greatest hits collection.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I hope that means "full-sized" outer box and book and not the reduced size like in the Chuck Berry box.

I will try to make some room for it on the shelf. Maybe I should get rid of all of the owners manuals for household appliances and electronics that went to the dump years ago.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I have a feeling the new Lefty box will be similar to the Jerry Lee Lewis Sun boxes ("Jerry Lee Lewis At Sun Records The Collected Works" box set vs the "Jerry Lee Lewis Complete Sun Recordings" box set). If so, I don't plan on buying the new Lefty box with 5-10 versions of each of his top hits since I am satisfied with the Life's Like Poetry box set.

rod likes this.
  20. hotshotskings

Sadly the Millennial generation would be fine with this. Just look at recent albums that were released where Michael Jackson and Elvis were combined with "current artists" or an Orchestra, respectively...

melstapler likes this.
  21. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

If it ends up being like that with one near-identical take after another, I'd seek out the old twelve-disc.

22. Rick Bartlett

I'm very happy with the old collection, but curious to learn about the track listing on the new set.
    8 extra discs sounds exciting, but identical take after takes will probably not see me making an updated purchase.

23. hotshotskings

I've been eyeing this one for a few weeks now:

A roots music classic from Bear Family! The dawn of modern Cajun music! Records so rare that just a few copies exist of most of them! Very few of these recordings ever reissued on 45, LP, or CD until now! Songs include the original version of Diggy Liggy Lo plus Big Texas...the song that Hank Williams adapted into Jambalaya.

This was a set years in the making. It took ages to figure out exactly how many classic Cajun recordings had been made by legendary record producer J.D. Miller in the 1940s and '50s, and then it took even longer to find them and painstakingly restore the sound. Finally, Cajun music expert Lyle Ferbrache tried to track down as many of the survivors and relatives as possible for the extensive book. But it was well worth the wait! The result is a classic roots music collection done as only Bear Family can do it!

From 1946 to 1959, J.D. Miller released all forms of French language records, from the beautiful fiddle and guitar records of Oran 'Doc' Guidry and Leroy 'Happy Fats' Leblanc to the raucous recordings of Robert Bertrand and the Lake Charles Playboys. Many very rare recordings are reissued here for the first time, and those include the first recordings of Jimmy Newman. Also included are such rarities as
    War Widow Waltz by Laura Broussard, Terry Clement's original version of Diggy Liggy Lo, and Papa Cairo's Big Texas, the song that Hank Williams adapted into the one Cajun song everyone knows, Jambalaya. This is a marvelous part of American music that came close to being lost for all time!
    [​IMG]

The Killer, melstapler and rod like this.
  24. hotshotskings

I wish there was a Bear Family box set of Roy Clark's music, I'd buy that in a heartbeat (his guitar work is amazing but his 1960s/1970s albums are hard to find!)

DR.J, Steve...O, Mr. H and 1 other person like this.
  25. Svein Arne

DR.J and melstapler like this.