Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Wifes like to boss the husband:help:

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeap.... so much to say..... can we talk guitars, amplifiers and pedals too lol?

melstapler likes this.
  3. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

In September 2008 I started work on a "straight reprint" of the Lefty Frizzell box for Bear Family. After nearly ten years I can finally report that The Big Man in the last couple of days gave final OK to the various parts of the packaging (including papersleeve facsimile CD-size reproductions of 7 original Lefty albums). And the final version of the book was sent to the (surviving) writers. (First reaction: "I've found four pictures that we haven't used yet...")

Steve...O, maloney, RSteven and 7 others like this.
  4. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Thanks so much for the insider information. It makes me appreciate Bear Family releases so much more knowing the amount of time that is put into them. It also makes me feel very guilty for buying a set and not spending very much time with it before I store it away. (I wish I had more space so I could keep my sets on a shelf where everyone could see them.)

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Amen brother.

melstapler and maloney like this.
  6. The Killer

Another day another broken cd tray, this is what the replacement clip looks like, it's pretty neat, easy to fit and seems to stay stuck on ok.

[​IMG]

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  7. The Killer

Dunno what took you so long, I reckon I could've knocked that set out in a couple of weeks...

You'll be onto the Steve Young set next and then the Johnny Paycheck one. Stoney Edwards after that if I could be so bold.

RSteven, melstapler, Mychael and 2 others like this.
  8. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

[​IMG]

This was an answered prayer for me. Now if they would just take up the complete Tiffany Transcriptions!

9. The Killer

The Tiffany's are the crown jewels in the Bob Wills catalogue in my opinion, I haven't got them all yet but I'm working on it.

melstapler, spanky1 and Jim Duckworth like this.
  10. Svein Arne

Lots of Tiffany vinyl here:
    Bob Wills tiffany vinyl | eBay

11. darling

darling Senior Member

Coming back late to this thread (my notifications stopped so I missed everything!)

'What's That You Got' (below) is a real, replicated silver CD. You might want to PM me.

WTYG is silver CD. You might want to PM me too.

What's That You Got has the following Mercury recordings (as well as the complete 'live' 1965 recordings):
    - I Left My Heart In San Fransisco (released on 7")
    - I Done Got Over It (released on 7")
    - What's That You Got (released on 7")
    - It's Never Too Late (released on 7")
    - Don't Play With My Heart (unreleased)
    - I Got The Blues So Bad For New Orleans (unreleased)
    - I Left My Heart In San Fransisco (unreleased alt. version)

Except that the CD manufacturer screwed up: both versions of I Left My Heart In San Fransisco are the 'alt. version'.

There are also some alternate versions from those sessions floating around - and a few singles tracks, guest apperances and odds and ends. And a whole slew of live recordings.

I found a copy of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, but the idea of reading it didn't spark joy, so I gave it away.

pudgym, maloney and melstapler like this.
  12. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I was able to find the 10 cd box from Collector's Choice a few years ago, and it was well worth the wait. If you like Bob Wills, and you haven't heard the Tiffany Transcriptions, you are really missing out. I bought both of the Bear Family boxes from Dennis Metz on here when he was selling all of his Bear Family stuff. I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't made it through very much of those gigantic box sets.

13. The Killer

I'm halfway through collecting the individual discs as I've set myself a fairly low but reasonable price point. The Real Gone 2 CD set is a gem.

Kevin55 and melstapler like this.
  14. Svein Arne

I got all these single Tiffany CDs.Looks great,perhaps sound in the box is better?

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  15. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the box is just all ten single CDs sold together, same sound. Sad thing is all the Tiffany recordings could probably fit on six discs.

melstapler likes this.
  16. Svein Arne

The box is not complete Tiffany recordings.Bear Family could have done a complete box.

17. The Killer

Same old same old, mind you these are old, be more per disc now, at least the music is out there I guess. A big Bear box of Bob Wills Tiffany would be a thing of wonder though. [drools at prospect]

18. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  19. Svein Arne

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  20. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

[​IMG]
    Got this one today, and after giving it a listen, I wish I had gotten it years ago. Still waiting for a set covering Warner's 60's and 70's hits.....if they weren't lost in the Universal fire.....

21. Svein Arne

Tape may exist at the production plant where they produced the vinyl records.Record company sends out a negative tape they use to make the record stamper.I wonder why reissue companies does not look for these tapeso_O

melstapler likes this.
  22. The Killer

I’d start with the Real Gone set. You get 50 tracks, some you’ll know but 20 unreleased, you get loads of detail including a complete Tiffany discography. It’s a beautiful piece of work.

Real Gone Music - News - Bob Wills

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    GodBlessTinyTim and melstapler like this.
  23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely, Warner Mack is great. Although he's mostly retired from touring and recording, I spoke with his daughter over email a few years ago and ended up ordering 3 private pressing CDs Warner released on his own label. Warner entered the studio and re-recorded a number of hits and fan favorites, which turned out very well.

Much in the same way Gene Watson made quality faithful re-recordings of his earlier material, Warner is in great voice, the production values are excellent and the musicians on those sessions are top-notch. Re-recording those songs has given Warner the ability to release his own CDs and license the same recordings to other labels and music services. The 1CD on Bear Family is an excellent starting point and Warner was personally involved in the project, which demonstrates his respect for the fans, Bear Family and the music he's recorded. Hopefully there will be a follow-up collection focusing on Warner's later carer output periods.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    The Killer and Svein Arne like this.
  24. Svein Arne

An epic mistake by Bear Family Records regarding mastering:
    On the cd Jimmie Logsdon the song:I got a rocket in my pocket has been taken from an 78 disc,got much noise.
    I Got A Rocket In My Pocket | Bear Family Records

On this CD from ace records it is taken from a tape source:
    A Rocket In My Pocket: The Soundtrack To The Hipster's Guide To Rockabilly
    I wonder why Bear Family could do such a big mistake??????????????

turnersmemo and melstapler like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

You tell em Svein....... it takes the heat off me for a bit muhahaha :agree:

melstapler likes this.