Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I received the RWA 5CD "boxset" of Bill Monroe. Nice format, though I am not a big fan of pocket designs. At this point, if it would help Bear Family or RWA to keep these small boxsets coming (say 4, 5 or even 6 CDs) by adopting this format instead of the big LP size box, I am all for it.

I would love to see a range of 4-5 CD sets in this format that continue or finish some of the artists that got a previous big box (say Webb Pierce or Kitty Wells, the rest of Merle etc).

The book graphics (66 pages, bigger than CD size, very nice) here scream out Bear Family style. This makes it seem strange that Richard left Bear Family. Maybe he just wanted to be free of the rest of the Bear Family business.

[​IMG]

2. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It's a great box set!

melstapler likes this.
  3. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

It got a great sound compared to earlier releases where songs are released.Got to be careful with that book inside,it can easily split up in pieces.:pleased:
    The corea box set coming soon got that old Bear Family look/size.

melstapler likes this.
  4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I love me some Lefty, but even with a new box release, I think I'll stay satisfied with
    the 'Life's Like Poetry' set. Enough Lefty for a lifetime for me.
    I'm sure the new set will be much more inclusive and lavish.

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  5. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It can't possibly sound better than the last one.

6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. There would have to be some more recently discovered studio recordings of significance. I know about the 2 Big D tracks which were released in the early 2000s, but it would have to include those and perhaps an additional disc containing previously unreleased live transcriptions.

Speaking of Lefty and an interesting side note, my old barber from 20 years ago wrote a few songs for Lefty Frizzell, including 'Cold Feet.' His name was Aubrey. I took a job and relocated to a fairly urban area which didn't seem to have a particularly music or arts-driven community at that time. I was looking for an independently-owned barber shop and discovered him by complete accident through an ad, either on a flyer or in a small newspaper you might thumb through at the diner. Ironically, I'd been listening to the Lefty Frizzell Bear Family box set earlier that morning. Somehow, we started talking about music and I mentioned a few artists, including Lefty. In a very casual and humble manner, Aubrey said something along the lines of "yeah I used to know Lefty," and I asked him to elaborate. Aubrey was probably 70 when I knew him, so he'd have to be in his 90s at this point in time. Last I heard, he retired and moved away from big city life. Hopefully, Aubrey is healthy and still with us. Gentlemen from all walks of life looked forward to getting their haircut by him, although I don't think most of his customers were familiar with classic country music or were aware of his contributions as a songwriter. What a talented songwriter, barber and genuinely great man.

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Neillrae Music--Freeman

A nice page about Aubrey the barber. Google says he is alive at 93 in Bedford Texas.

8. Svein Arne

:tiphat:

melstapler and Steve...O like this.
  9. melstapler

How neat! Steve, thanks so much! Aubrey looks great for his age and the article says he's still cutting hair. Definitely an inspiration to all of us.

10. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

I first discovered BF box sets when I purchased a George Jones box set on amazon in mid-2016. I've ended up buying about 100 BF box sets since but I've definitely slowed down the last 6 months or so. I've been very surprised by how much I enjoyed the box sets for Little Jimmy Dickens, Grandpa Jones, Lefty Frizzell and Wynn Stewart (all of whom I had not really listened to their songs before)! I still haven't listened to half of my BF box set collection tho lol. :wiggle:

Edit: For those wondering why I have all of this music, I bought a music player that can hold up to 512 GB so I am ripping all my BF music to my Hi Res. Audio player so I can listen to them all during my work commute everyday

11. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I got A Shot in the Dark: Making Records in Nashville. After a cursory comparison, it appears the contents of the book are unique, covering the same ground as those in the box sets but in greater detail. It also comes with a 20-track CD of songs from both Nashville Jumps and Tennessee Jive. I should investigate a bit deeper before anyone hurries to buy the book though.

Goodness gracious, Bear Family's new favourite customer!

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If that was mid 2016 that you started, and you slowed down for the past six months, that meant you were getting about 4 boxes per week. And since Ernie B's was out of the Bear Family business most of that time, you were paying the new higher prices! Ouch. At least you have them! See the tip a while back about the Hefty Jumbo size zip lock bags being great to protect the larger size Bear boxes (cut the zipper off, of course)

melstapler likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

After a deep investigation, let us know: Are there many new and different images in the separate bookstore book? Same authors? Some totally new subjects not in Bear books? Do the Bear books first part (not the artist by artist section) appear to be an abbreviated or edited down version of the separate book's text.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  14. hotshotskings

All my orders were through Amazon and Ebay

melstapler likes this.
  15. hotshotskings

I made many orders from Ernie B's on amazon. Most of my box sets are Used and in great condition

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.
  16. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

To my delight I discovered the Fantastic Bear Family label about 2 years ago , I bought boxset and individual discs . You get amazing music (some of the music doesn't appears on any other cds) , extra bonus tracks, beautiful booklets and Boxes .

I love the Bear Family Mastering , the mastering on their cds have a sound signature that I like a lot!
    not loud like lots of remastered cds , natural sound with sparkling, the bass is never exaggerated
    and the sound is open --- crystal clear sound. Amazing label
    through Bear family label I had the chance to get lots of great music from artists like Johnny Cash , Johnny Western and Marty Robbins /

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  17. Svein Arne

18. Svein Arne

It is weekend and we all need countrymusic and cold beer:

:righton::targettiphat:

melstapler likes this.
  19. melstapler

Bear Family have a new Darrell McCall 45 which is limited to 500 and numbered. As a longtime fan of Darrell, I already have 2 copies on order which should arrive this coming week. The history and story behind these recordings is very interesting and even if you already own the comprehensive 5CD box set which contains these tracks, this makes a nice conversation piece. Of course, I'm going to have Darrell sign at least one of my copies. Country legend Darrell McCall continues to keep traditional country music alive with his amazing new recordings and energetic live performances. We need to do everything within our power to prevent real country music from being overshadowed and silenced by the rowdy, boneheaded, baseball-cap music they call "red dirt" Texas country.
    [​IMG]
    Country legends Mona and Darrell McCall

These recordings were demos for bluesman Jimmy Reed, and were originally issued in 1961 as by Willie B. Downtown Nashville one night, Darrell McCall met blues legend Jimmy Reed. He got to jam with Reed at one of many sessions he enjoyed with other musicians at apartments and even at Tootsie's Orchid Lounge. Reed drove from place to place, pulling a trailer. He'd park it in downtown Nashville, get drunk, sometimes wind up in jail while the cops towed away the car and trailer. ''I wrote Bad Mouthin' and This I Gotta See, and I called Jim, Wayne and Charlie, and demoed it to take down to Jimmy Reed. Of course when I got downtown to find Jimmy he was long gone. 'I never did get it to him.' Personnel: Darrell McCall - vocals, Wayne Moss - guitar, Charlie McCoy - harmonica, Jim Isbell - drums.Mastering: Tom Meyer at Master & Servant, Hamburg, Germany Originally released as Terri 5001 in 1961.

Side 1 Bad Mouthin'
    Side 2 This I Gotta See

[​IMG]

20. GodBlessTinyTim

I was interested in that single, but as with all of Bear Family's recent limited-edition singles, it costs as much as a CD. It really demonstrates his versatility though.

The Killer, Svein Arne and melstapler like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Got this one at a garage sale for $1. It makes me wish Bear Family would put out some CDs instead of what I call "manufactured collectibles" (like 10 inch or 7 inch vinyl)

Now out of print, 2LPs on one CD

[​IMG]

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I just ordered the Tages LP. I'm having doubts it's AAA since there is no mention. Either way, I don't see this getting a reissue for a long time so I'll take it anyways. I'm definitely looking forward to the DVD as well.

23. GodBlessTinyTim

Can anyone offer some suggestions for German-language 50's rock 'n' roll? I figure Bear Family has that market cornered. Germany's two Elvises (Elvii?), Ted Herold and Peter Kraus, sound like the most solid contenders from those I've heard.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would get into singers like Lotte Lenya and Marlene Dietrich first

25. GodBlessTinyTim

I know the early years of rock 'n' roll weren't German music's finest hour, but I've recently become interested in how different countries embraced the big beat.

Rick Bartlett likes this.