Your Favourite Can album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Jul 5, 2017.

1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Monster Movie because it was my first and because "You Doo Right" is one of the greatest things ever of anything.

PS: Coincidentally, I picked up Delay 1968 at Decatur CD in Decatur, GA, just a few hours ago while browsing the CD racks.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73, drasil and Scope J like this.
  2. pulpo

pulpo Forum Resident

Gotta go with Future Days, imo:

FD > MM > TM > EB > SOB > Soundtracks

Haven't listened to their later albums yet.

3. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

I picked Ege but Tago and Future Days are just as satisfying.

4. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Ege Bamyasi for me.

Great outtakes from that album on the 'Lost Tapes' compilation too - Especially 'Dead Pigeon Suite', which sounds like part of a double-album version of Ege that never was...

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Curious result. Because, judging by the prices over the last ten years or so, I'd have thought Ege Bamyasi was the most popular.

6. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

You've pretty much taken the words out of my mouth. Love The Lost Tapes, should be included in the voting options imo.

TangoWhiskyman and marmalade166 like this.
  7. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm enjoying the singles CD. But I have to admit to editing it down to the sequence Soul Desert->Future Days. Can't deal with the Landed and beyond work.

Aside from that I made my own Singles Edit CD using mainly 2004 masters as source.

Surly likes this.
  8. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

The fun thing about playlists is taking an album like Ege with quality outtakes & dropping them into the tracklist to make an album longer. It works particularly well with Can because the outtakes share themes with the album tracks (eg an extended Ege with Vitamin C early on AND Dead Pigeon Suite towards the end kinda makes it like a song-cycle)

Purists may hate.. but if I need a longer Ege, it's there if I need it. :)

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Phil Tate like this.
  9. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The only problem I have with The Lost Tapes is that, great as those 'suite' tracks are, they're someone else's invention, not the band's.

10. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Though, we would never have heard them otherwise because I'm pretty sure Holger Czukay wouldn't have agreed to edit the material to make it more manageable.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I find the material on the 3CD Tapes superfluous. I have a single Cd edit of it, but still can't find much in it to keep me going back.

I prefer the few vocal outtake songs on the first half of (Un)Ltd Edition to anything on Tapes. Blue Bag, Mother Upduff, Doko E, I'm Too Leise, Empress – those are killer tracks.

Yes. I was impressed by the editing in Can, which I always assume Czukay did. When I worked through the edits in Hallelujah single edit I noticed how good his editing-ear was.

12. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Fair point - and the band-members considered these gems to be "unworthy of release" when they edited the original album.

Still, Im guessing the band-members would have to had signed-off on those outtake edits to be released now.

While we're talking editing and Can, I wonder what the chances are that any existing unedited session tapes may be released - either in hefty physical sets or subscription download services?

13. Tsomi

Tsomi Forum Resident

I voted for Soundtracks, knowing that it's mostly a compromise. It's more a series of songs than an album, but that'll do.

I think I happen to prefer Malcolm's period now (you just can feel his mental breakdown), although Damo's time in the band is excellent as well... Soundtracks lets me listen to both, and there's Mother Sky.

But my favourite "artificial" Can album is made of parts of Delay, Monster Movie, Soundtracks, Unlimited Edition... And it's mostly Malcolm.

Library Eye and kushiro like this.
  14. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The editing on the original track of "Halleluwah" is pretty impressive anyway!

15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Only two of them left now. The Lost Tapes seems to have been an Irmin Schmidt project, Czukay and Liebezeit seemed to have had a more, shall we say, Kraftwerkian approach to their older work.

16. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Had to go with Ege Bamyasi, just for that opening drum groove. Liebezeit was the man. Vitamin C is also a great alternative pop song.

I echo other's sentiments about Lost Tapes too, I reckon it's a great listen.

Tristero and Surly like this.
  17. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I think part of that is due to Irmin having (probably) the closest working relationship to Jono Podmore, who did the 5.1 remixes, remastered the stereo mixes for the Can back catalogue, AND edited the lost tapes.. amongst other archival work.

No doubt when Czukay & Schmidt are no longer with us, the temptation will be in front of their estates to open the vaults even more.

18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Isn't Jono Podmore his son-in-law? So more than a working relationship!

Flippikat likes this.
  19. Me too; but if i was honest i only own this and Landed!! I really need to add a few more to catalogue

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes. And I noticed that more and more as I searched for where the single edits were.

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You can get the 36 minute Doko E, and the 35 minute Tagothrowaway on boot.

22. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

my favourite Can song - Oh Yeah - is on Tago Mago, but my favorite album is Future Days
    followed by
    Soon Over Babaluma
    Tago Mago
    Soundtracks
    Ege Bamyasi
    Monster Movie
    Landed
    Delay 68

bzfgt likes this.
  23. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Tago Mago (Sides A & B) > Future Days > Monster Movie > Ege Bamyasi > Soon Over Babaluma > Soundtracks > Unlimited Edition > Landed > Delay 1968 > Tago Mago (Sides C & D) > Can > Flowmotion > Rite Time
    I still need to find a copy of Saw Delight.
    Voted for Future Days.

bzfgt and Scope J like this.
  24. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

For me it's always been Future Days. I have a (U.S.) SACD copy that sounds nice but strangely plays the tracks out of sequence (title track is last).

Scope J likes this.
  25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You know me.... I'm a TAGO man!

bzfgt, Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Scope J like this.