Your Favourite Roxy Music Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

Manifesto for me ! I love "Ain't That So" and "Dance Away"...it's Ferry at his sophisticated crooning best...

M321115 likes this.
  2. The first two I love, and I can't choose between them.

3. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

For Your Pleasure is a phenomenal album, Roxy though huge are pretty underrated. All their albums are of value and importance equal to the best works of Bowie.

Man at C&A and sound chaser like this.
  4. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Some help please? I just purchased the EMI 'Essential' 2011 comp on CD. The two live tracks, Do The Strand [Glasgow Apollo] and Jealous Guy [?]; does anyone know the performance date or year for these two tracks?
    Thanks
    G

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's fitting that the votes are spread evenly among the first four or five albums. You really could make a strong case for any of these. Though For Your Pleasure is the most striking, distinctive masterpiece in some ways, I was listening to Stranded last night (from the box set) and it sounded amazing, very fresh and modern.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I voted for the debut album, which is a masterpiece (well, For Your Pleasure is a masterpiece too, but the first one is even better). Anyway, I would like to add that I like every album by the band, and that I can't understand why Manifesto has only 4 votes. I find it more interesting than Flesh and Blood and Avalon.
    A really strong discography when taken as a whole. The studio albums box is absolutely brilliant, in spite of its lack of booklet.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  7. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

I see that Avalon's running away here, and I can't really dispute that.

In spite of a wonderful run of five albums (from S/T to Siren), Avalon is just exceptional. The fact it's a final album is just all the more astounding.

Manifesto and Flesh + Blood have their charms, but are fairly middling as complete packages.

8. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Without "Manifesto" there's no "Avalon".

9. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

I'd gladly take any of the first four any day but the debut was a declaration and the opening track a blueprint.

sound chaser likes this.
  10. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

The first side is fabulous, but the latter side falls away for me - save for the glorious disco schmaltz of "Dance Away".

Flesh + Blood is far ropier - material like the cover of "Eight Miles High" is perplexingly bad, but "Same Old Scene" is simply one of the best tracks they ever recorded...an absolute banger.

gslasor likes this.
  11. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Shocked to see Avalon topping this poll. The first four are the peak for me.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I agree with you but the difference is, where the votes were divided fairly evenly among the first four, fans of their more slick later sound concentrated the bulk of their votes on Avalon. I am a little surprised that Flesh + Blood beat out Manifesto. . .

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like the first four about as much as each other. I went for Stranded as it has my fave Roxy track, Mother of Pearl, and it's the last one I played.

It says a lot about how strong a run of albums this is that Manifesto appears relatively unloved even though it's a very good album with some genuinely classic songs. Absolutely superb band.

Rich C likes this.
  14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"For Your Pleasure" is a fantastic art rock album. A personal favorite is "Flesh + Blood". It's more commercial and less arty perhaps but I just like it. "Oh yeah" and "Over You". It's masterful cathcy pop.

Man at C&A and Solace like this.
  15. riksors

riksors New Member

16. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Avalon. I still can't hear it enough.

17. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I went with Stranded. I also thought it might win.
    I pretty much love all of them. The final three are almost like a different band though.
    I saw them on the Country Life tour, almost voted for that one.
    Also saw them on the Manifesto tour.

18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Amazing how Manifesto is rating as a bottom feeder yet it is still a terrific album. A lot of bands would like to have that problem.

Man at C&A and Solace like this.
  19. moj

moj Forum Resident

Almost impossible to choose between the the first two albums, but side one of Roxy Music is astonishingly good and just edges it for me. In reality, the Roxy Music album I play most frequently is The Early Years.

Man at C&A and sound chaser like this.
  20. Flesh+ Blood and Avalon were both bigger sellers the latter is their only platinum album in the U.S. And the former was the band's only platinum album in the UK. Both were #1 records (their second and third respectively) plus you add in their appeal to the New Wave. It's their more "accessible" albums whereas "Manifesto" is a mixture of of the sound developed for "Siren" and their sound moving forward.

Surprisingly though "Manifesto" was their only top 20 album (reaching a high of #23) their best showing in the U.S. Ever.

21. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

For me this was an easy pick, Siren. I don't think it's their best album (that would be For Your Pleasure), but it is my favorite. I love every track on it, and I enjoy the disco influences that were integrated into the album, but didn't turn the band into a disco group as Manifesto would (a much less interesting album IMO).

Cipresso likes this.
  22. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I'm always amazed at what people buy and maybe play once. I just picked up a dead quiet copy of Flesh & Blood ...RL in the deadwax.... Still a great record 35+ plus years later.

23. I'm surprised that so many prefer the debut. While audacious, it's hardly their best IMHO and Avalon is winning by default probably because it's the one that sold the most copies in the U.S.

It's hardly their best album either IMHO.

24. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i like every roxy music album sans flesh and blood.... a lot.
    i really can't pick just one.i have to admit manifesto has picked up steam for me over the last few years
    very sublime and sinister.i like it a lot.
    avalon is maybe the best sounding record i own.
    as to picking one i just can't

wayneklein likes this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I want to rectify my post from April, because I changed my mind.
    Avalon is better than Manifesto.
    Anyway, an awesome discography as a whole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.