Your Favourite Top Five of the 70s Movies EVER?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Svetonio, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

[Mod: please re-post and identify the clip. Thanks]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2017
  2. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

All the President's Men
    Annie Hall
    A Clockwork Orange
    Dirty Harry
    Taxi Driver

3. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I replied before, but I have to add another five

The Last Picture Show
    Annie Hall
    The Deer Hunter
    Apocalypse Now
    The Conformist

4. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

gutsy call there with Zardoz...

Whurly and Svetonio like this.
  5. Whurly

Whurly Well-Known Member

Le Cercle Rouge
    The Abominable Dr Phibes
    The Warriors
    Rollerball
    Charley Varrick

Runners up:
    Bof
    Newsfront
    Frenzy
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle
    The Goodbye Girl
    Stone
    Westworld

6. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Taxi Driver
    All The Presidents Men
    Network
    The Conversation
    The French Connection

7. Zombeels

Zombeels Forum Resident

Alien
    What's Up Doc?
    Jaws
    Paper Moon
    Life Of Brian

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Top five.
    Ever changing but I'd say.
    Magnum Force
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    The Getaway
    Barry Lyndon
    Close Encounters

9. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

My choices are:
    1.Performance
    2.Greasers Palace
    3.A Clockwork Orange
    4.Any Pam Grier movies
    5.The Godfather

10. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

5. Alien
    4.Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
    3.Halloween
    2.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    1.Star Wars A New Hope
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Ummm....Carwash-Shaft-Come Back Charlston Blue-Buck And The Preacher-Superman.

12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

High Plains Drifter

What can I say? Grim, grim, grim movie, very dark and nihilistic, italian in style and american in its wonderful cast. A truly singular western.

Eraserhead

When I finally understood the movie's message, the genius of the whole idea of parenthood as one everlasting, paranormal nightmare without escape swept over me - rarely has anybody been so cynical on the concept of expecting a child.

The Godfather (plus Part II)

I can't... just go listen to Nino Rota's score and you'll fully understand what I want to say.

Apocalypse Now

As the war rages on, Martin Sheen fully understands the evil roots of mankind, himself and everyone else, are deeply connected to human's ideas of "good" and "bad", transcending the thin line that lies between those two seemingly opposite ideas of life.

Aguirre, Wrath of God

Again, a man who goes completely mad just slightly above the rim of the world. Klaus Kinski lived this role and you FEEL it deep down, where your true self is waiting...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    93curr likes this.
  13. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

The Godfather
    Taxi Driver
    Star Wars
    Apocalypse Now
    Chinatown

14. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Chronologically:

1. The French Connection (1971) - an absolutely gripping, and extremely well acted, action thriller with arguably the best chase scene in film history, which deserved to win "Best Picture" as did many if not most of the other Oscar winners from the 70's (IMHO, this would not always hold true in later decades). The overall atmosphere created here, a combination of its brilliant score set against the "urban jungle" of NYC aided perhaps by period grainy film stock, defines "70's grit" for me, and the movie remains both a time capsule plus a classic for the ages.

2. The Day of the Jackal (1973) - while I agree with an earlier post that the 70's was a "(second) golden age" of Hollywood filmmaking, there were indeed great non-U.S. features from that decade which should not be missed, and this was one of my favorites. Compared to The French Connection, the locales presented here were arguably more "glamorous" but no less deadly/treacherous, and the film plays like a steady build-up to an intense climax, with fine performances all around especially from the two leads (Edward Fox and Michael Lonsdale). I've never bothered watching the remake starring Bruce Willis(!).

3. The Bad News Bears (1976) - not your average "kiddie" fare, or even ordinary "adult" entertainment for that matter. What sets this one apart for me, aside from the obviously period clothing/hairstyles/etc., is the realism in the performances (IMHO, one of Walter Matthau's very best), and the timelessness of the themes presented, particularly now in a world that seems more obsessed with "winning" at all costs than anything remotely resembling pure sportsmanship, or even common decency. Sure these were ragamuffin misfit kids who cussed, which may have been the tag that sold this picture back in the day (and which the sequels/remake failed to understand was not what made it great), but if you can get past the political incorrectness of the language, I think you'll find a highly quotable movie bursting with heart and soul. "And another thing, just wait 'til next year!"

4. Star Wars (1977) - I'm tempted to agree with the somewhat depressing sentiment that "you had to be there" to fully get what this phenomenon was all about, for a cultural phenomenon it surely was. No discussion of this fantasy sci-fi film "event" would be complete without mention of all the toys, video games, underwear(!), and countless other paraphernalia it spawned. All that came to a crashing halt for me with the release of Return of the Jedi in '83, but despite those inferior prequels and sequels (I still haven't seen the latest installment and currently have no plans to do so), the original film was absolutely a game-changer I will never forget.

5. Smokey and the Bandit (1977) - y'know, it's easy to dismiss the career of Burt Reynolds as one who "didn't live up to his potential" per another thread over in the Music Forum, and certainly following Deliverance he seemed poised to become a major "A"-list player like, say Paul Newman, but his continual choices of "light" material such as this effectively rendered any Oscar hopes unobtainable, at least until Boogie Nights decades later (I thought he should've won more than just a Golden Globe for that). Still, I cannot deny the re-watchability value this very fun flick has, and it's always a hoot to see Jackie Gleason playing that redneck sheriff here (though it didn't work nearly as well in the inferior sequels), but my favorite scene is probably where the Snowman (arguably the film's most realistic character played by Jerry Reed) gets his revenge on a group of mean bikers. :cool:

Dan Steele likes this.
  15. Gord D

Gord D Forum Resident

Alien
    The Sting
    Slapshot
    The Out of Towners
    Blazing Saddles

16. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Godfather 1
    Serpico
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Barry Lyndon
    Blazing Saddles

Runners-up: Taxi Driver, The Groove Tube,. Dog Day Afternoon, Godfather II

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Three Days Of The Condor
    Papillon
    Jerimiah Johnston
    Taxi Driver
    Pretty Maids All In A Row

Dan Steele likes this.
  18. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

That last one with Rock Hudson?

19. The Man Who Would Be King
    The Godfather
    Deliverance
    Patton
    A Clockwork Orange

trumpet sounds likes this.
  20. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

So...
    Many...
    AWESOME...
    Movies...

21. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

The Godfather
    Apocalypse Now
    The Deliverance
    Little Big Man
    Dirty Harry

22. The Godfather
    The Godfather Part 2
    Alien
    Apocalypse Now
    The Exorcist

23. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The 1970s was a great decade for movies! This is going to take a little thought, but this one is definitely on the list:

Jaws

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Since others are listing an additional five...

The Garden of the Finzi-Continis
    The Godfather Part II
    Nashville
    The Story of Adele H.
    The Black Stallion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.